IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Using the Oxford comma

Discussion in 'Posting Tips' started by ladybug, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ladybug

ladybug New Member

I'll have to focus on using the Oxford comma again. Other sites that I write for have scolded me for using it so I've begun to get out of the habit. According the research I've done, it's generally acceptable either way, as long as you stick to the same style throughout.

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Pompous Maladroit Moderator

You do have a point - and yes, the general consensus has gotten lazy and stopped using it.

It's a huge issue for me; it makes me twitch. The lack of the Oxford comma can severely alter the meaning of a sentence - and really, that's what it's all about. While I'm all for following the rules and adjusting to match who you're writing for, I would pose arguments (such as the one I used) to explain that yes, in fact, the Oxford comma SHOULD be used.

I really can't think of a reason why it shouldn't; unless you really did invite JFK and Stalin to strip at your party. In which case, you should probably write the sentence another way to be clear. That, and I hope the party was to die for. ;)

LesYam and AnnieOakley like this.
  3. vennybunny

vennybunny New Member

While there are cases where an Oxford comma is unnecessary, I have found that it helps tremendously in giving voice and tone to a written text. I tend to write how I talk, so it is important to me that the reader pauses where I would have paused if I was reading the text.

I do tend to abuse the comma, though. One problem I have is I tend to write one-sentence paragraphs.

4. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Pompous Maladroit Moderator

:eek::eek::eek: *twitch* No! Ack! *twitch* *twitch *twitch* o_Oo_Oo_O
    The Oxford comma is a requirement! Always!! :eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

KenBrace likes this.
  5. jason cookson

jason cookson New Member

I know what you mean. Like when they want you to type color not colour. English is English and is spoken in England . Americans do not speak English, color is not an English word. Therefore using oxford English and commas is correct since that is proper English. How can America tell England how to peak their own language. It is ridiculous. It is like Germans telling the Japanese they spelling wrong or using incorrect grammar.
    Just saying.

6. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley New Member

I found this post fascinating because it downright astonished me that I had no idea what an Oxford comma was. I had to go look it up. I spent nearly 20 years doing all kinds of writing and being exposed to style manuals for everything from news outlets to the legal system. How in the world could I have possibly not known of this type of comma as the Oxford comma?

I've always used the Oxford comma and was taught to use it in school. I am not from England. In fact, I'm from the deep south of the United States. So, how about that! Even way down yonder here, I was taught proper English. And, well, I guess it must have been very proper English since I run into problems with spell checkers all the time when I try to spell an American word according to Brittish spelling rules. I have no idea where I picked up British spelling. I wasn't even aware that I had until spell checkers came out. :p