IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Whаt саn bе sаid аbоut thе psyсhоlоgy оf pеоplе whо listеn tо mеtаl musiс?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Terry, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Terry

Terry New Member

I dоn't bеliеvе thеrе is аnything uniquе аbоut thе psyсhоlоgy оf sоmеоnе whо listеns tо mеtаl, оr thаt diffеrs in аny соmpеlling оr аpprесiаblе wаy frоm thоsе whо listеn tо оthеr gеnrеs оf musiс. In fасt I think it's dаngеrоus tо аssосiаtе аny gооd оr bаd tеndеnсiеs within аn individuаl with thе musiс thаt thеy listеn tо. This саn quiсkly еsсаlаtе intо pеоplе blаming, sаy Mаrilyn Mаnsоn, fоr а risе in sсhооl shооtings. This kind оf thinking is а distrасtiоn frоm rеаl prоblеm sоlving.

I think thеrе аrе mоrе intеrеsting соrrеlаtiоns tо bе mаdе bеtwееn thоsе whо listеn tо оnе gеnrе оf musiс tо thе еxсlusiоn оf аll оthеrs аnd thе pоssеssiоn оf uniquе pеrsоnаlity trаits. Thе musiс gеnrе, hоwеvеr, in unimpоrtаnt.

Whаt is yоur оpiniоn?

2. Bobo

Bobo New Member

I listened metal music when I was young, because it has a touch of rebelision against the system. But today i couldn,t imagine to listen to that anymore, because its so aggressiv and it makes me angry when I hear metal music. I can not understand that somebody enjoy this kind of music, but people are different and listen to different music too. I think sometimes that this people who listen metal music have not so much selfconfidence and this music helps them to handle their aggression? But thats just a theory from me. But its good that we could choose from a variety of different sound styles instead of a lot of years ago, where the sound was for all people the same, because it had just some people a guitar and that was it.

3. Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue New Member

My opinion is that it is dangerous NOT to make a distinction. People who listen to death metal and people who listen to classical music are going to be two different types of people. It would be naive to think otherwise and it isn't judgemental in the least to actually act upon that distinction. How else are you going to know who to associate with and who you shouldn't, if you paint them all with the same brush?

The people who populate this world and the music that entertains them are diverse in tandem. Meaning that for every type of person there is, there is also music that fits their personality and, by extension of that, their social standing. A cigar smoking socialite who frequents fine establishments and who lives in the rich part of town is not going to be listening to death metal......not even in his closet. Classical music fits his lifestyle, his circle of friends, his upbringing.......it suits him.

I just cannot understand people who get squeamish at the thought of seeing others in the social box they belong in. We all have one, why not call it as it is?

4. klabingk

klabingk New Member

I agree with you. I used to listen a lot of metal in High School and got to know a lot of people who listened to it too. I met both aggressive folks and the kind folks and they listened to same type of metal. So I don't think that knowing what kind of music other person is listening to gives you any cue in what kind of a person he/she is. Personality is shaped by many things but out of them all I think music has the least effect.

5. 2Robert

2Robert New Member

I'm а mеtаl fаn. I'm psyсhоlоgiсаlly соmfоrtаblе with my lifе аnd my tаstеs in musiс. I dоn't bitе thе hеаds оff оf bаts оr sprаy blооd оn my friеnds whеn thеy knосk оn thе dооr. I dоn't wеаr skull оr сlоwn mаkеup tо wоrk еvеry dаy. I dоn't burn сhurсhеs оr sасrifiсе gоаts. I just listеn tо gооd, соmplех, аggrеssivе, mеtаl musiс. It's а grеаt strеss rеliеvеr аnd а соmfоrting оutlеt аt timеs. I dоn't mеаn а plасе tо buy Guеss jеаns fоr 87% оff. I mеаn а wаy tо lеt оut strеss оr vеnt frustrаtiоn. Thаt kind оf оutlеt. Kееp up.

Оf thе mеtаl fаns I'vе mеt in lifе, аlmоst аll оf thеm аrе соnfidеnt, friеndly, intеlligеnt. соurtеоus, rеspесtful, hоnеst, lоyаl аnd аlmоst аlwаys hаvе а gооd sеnsе оf humоr. Thоugh thеy dо wеаr а lоt оf blасk t-shirts, thеy typiсаlly knоw whеrе tо drаw thе linе bеtwееn аrt аnd rеаl lifе.

But thеrе аrе аlwаys ехсеptiоns:)

6. Robert Turner

Robert Turner New Member

I couldn't agree more 2Robert. I have very diverse musical taste and will listen to Verdi, jazz, country, rock and metal or pretty much any song that catches my fancy.

I find my choices determined by my mood and will often set up a playlist with the likes of Iron Maiden, The Doors and John Denver. Music does not dictate who we are.

Music feeds the soul and any choice depends on the type of food you're in the mood for. Waiter! Menu please.

7. TheArticulate

TheArticulate New Member

Very well put! I'm in the same boat as you: I don't dress, act or look in a way that most people perceive as being a stereotypical "metalhead", but if you want to strike up a conversation with me about metal music, the various subgenres within it, and the groups that play them, by all means go ahead. I won't have any problem keeping up with you!

Everyone finds different things in the music they listen to, and I think a lot of people misunderstand those who listen to metal. Of all the metal shows I've been to, I've never had a problem with anybody. Everybody is courteous, kind, and well-mannered.

8. martindrox

martindrox New Member

It's just music. There's no psychological part to it. It's like people who associate metal music with Satanism, It's just plain stupid. Personally I'm not a metalhead but I do sometimes listen to metal, it's catchy and non repetitive. Metal and Rock music are comparable yet no one accuse Rock music of anything!

Live and let live, They can natter about metalhead as long as they like. It's really not harming them.

9. Mortemonee

Mortemonee Member

To me music is fun. Classic, jazz, hip hop, reggae, RnB, metal,. This are creativity put together by hard working folks, I listen to different kind of music and i do create my own playlist for several moods I find myself. When am together with a Lady you do not expect me to play Metal music, instead i will look for something soft but if am out for a rally then I we can listen to metal music because everybody's head to strong at that very time. But actually am not really a fan of metal music.

10. marynyokabz

marynyokabz New Member

I had this perception that people who listen to metal music are either demonic or atheists... the gothic lovers and all. This was until I met one metal lover. He is not demonic but actually very human. I was shocked. I think my stereotypic thinking was as a result of a shoddy belief. There is nothing wrong with such people.

I agree I personally do not like this music but that is not reason enough to say the people end up with a psychological problem

11. temmygabriel

temmygabriel New Member

Just as sane as the next person. There is no correlation between metal music and mental illness. Numerous studies have proven it. Metal fans aren't necessarily Satanists, they aren't necessarily rapists, they aren't necessarily murderers and they are generally perfectly okay in the head.

I personally agree with Marynyokabz, It not an enough reason to say They have pychological issues

12. MusicFlow

MusicFlow New Member

I still can't believe that we're classifying people like this. It doesn't really matter what is someone listening to, right? Let's start judging people according to their actions instead of their music taste.

13. Youngfifty67

Youngfifty67 New Member

Metal music sounds like it is associated with dark or demonic forces. If you attend metal music concert and observe most of the fans in attendance, it is easy to evaluate the type of people who listen to that kind of music. Most of metal music fans are violent, behave in a crazy way and are mostly angry feeling like no one can mess with them.

Metal music is very influential especially when the people who rock that kind of music are high on drugs. This type of music is basically the roughest and most violent in the music industry.