IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What if there was never a Cell Phone?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gary Coleman, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Gary Coleman

Gary Coleman New Member

I wonder that if the very device that we all cannot seem to put down would alter our lives if never invented. What would we do with all that free time? How would we communicate? Im just curious.

Aykacia and Tyi like this.
  2. Jaime

Jaime New Member

I suppose that if there were no cell phones we'd still be using the old landline phone. However assuming that we still have the internet and computers, people would still communicate via email. Or maybe there could be something even better.

In the past when there were no phones, carrier pigeons were used to deliver messages. And obviously some messages never got to the intended recipients so the invention of phones did change a lot. With or without cell phones however, we'd be better off than our ancestors :)

3. abonnen

abonnen New Member

I personally do not own a cell phone so I feel like I can give some real life perspective to this question. We would be using land lines and mailing letters to each other. Not so long ago that is how we did communicate and I feel like we communicated well with each other when we used land lines and letters. The cell phone has made these communications faster and easier with text messages.

I do not think it would of altered our lives in a huge way not having cell phones, I use a landline instead of a cell phone and do not feel out of the loop as far as communication is concerned. Without smart phones however I feel like our lives maybe a little simpler, I am not saying smart phones are a bad thing but I fear they are replacing one on one (face to face) communications.

4. roger

roger New Member

Someone would have sooner or later created something to communicate and distract our time. Overall I personally think we would have better social skills because we would all be forced to speak our opinions directly to one another, rather than on a device. Its not a bad thing because I would rather have this generation be more social.

5. Tyi

Tyi Member

Now here goes something I don't have to think about. As have no problem calling and checking on elderly friends and family members. I still like to write. Why, because penmanship is fast becoming a lost art. I journal quite frequently. I still enjoy mealtime with my family. I also can't wait to acquire a pet so that I can spend time with him/her.

6. harijobs

harijobs New Member

The World would have been much more a better place with peace, love, and tranquility. We would have better known about the importance of the relationship with our family and friends.

And we would have communicated through letters. I like writing letters and I used to write to my aunt when I was young. Those were golden days really.

7. Aykacia

Aykacia New Member

A world with no cell phones; I surely wouldn't want to be a part of that doomed universe. How would we play Pokemon Go? How would we take that daily selfie? How would my mom text or call me a hundred times a day... OK maybe on the other hand that universe wouldn't be that bad.

The honest truth is: when our cell phone slip out our hands, as it is plugging to the floor, our heart literally stops beating. When we are roaming and can't pick up service, our blood pressure rises. And when our data runs out, its like we lost our best friend. Although, on a serious note, we as a society have definitely become too reliant on our cell phones. With that being said, I can't bare the idea of not having a cell phone around. Thanks to my son's smart phone, and its' WiFi Hotspot feature, I have internet access to my laptop and the PS4 without the extra monthly Comcast bill, so without a doubt my life would definitely be affected financially.

Yet, even if cell phones were not invented, as a world full of smart and inventive people, we would find an alternative way to communicate effectively and easily. Now to answer your question on what to do with all that free time; well in my opinion, perhaps families could start back talking to the people who live in the house with them, and even unite over a game of Monopoly or Scramble. But most importantly teenage girls and boys could start back talking to their parents about how their day went; instead of texting and chatting with their B.F.F. 24/7.

Yelp, the world sure would be altered greatly if cell phones did not exist, some modifications would be for the good and some for the bad.

8. AngelaMc

AngelaMc New Member

I was born in the 60's. Therefore I grew up without Cell Phones. We had a landline phone in the house. Life back then was great it seemed more personable. Everyone seemed to have conversations then, unlike today with all of this texting we do.

Family time was family time, there was no looking at our phones at the dinner table, we simply verbally talked to one another and asked how their day was.

For relatives that lived out of state we communicated through letters if the long distance calling plan was too expensive. Technology sure has came along way.