IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What is art to you?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Hiraeth, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth New Member

To those of you who paint and draw, not necessarily as a job but for yourself, why do you do it? What do you get out of colors and paints?

I remember I started actively painting as a kind of catharsis after my violent break up five years back. I used art to vent out, as a kind of escape. Back in those days I was obsessed with painting sunsets, in all possible kinds of settings and colors. From sea to mountains, city to forest marshes, orange and red to green and blue, I tried all possible shades and places.

For me art has always been a medium to let myself breathe and let go. How do you feel about art? Does it help you in any way?

aimayaram and HappyHeart like this.
  2. khadishacs

khadishacs New Member

Art is a story. A symbol of ones creative to express themselves

phoonthagoon likes this.
  3. Dinbanks

Dinbanks Member

I am not an art connoisseur but I do love various forms of abstract art. Abstract art sometimes stops me in my tracks and at times has made me say to myself "I like it and I want it!". Next to music art is one of the most creative forms of human expression. Just like music art has been shown to have calming healing qualities. Like I said I am not a connoisseur but I do like it.

4. taylor0314

taylor0314 New Member

Hello,
    I used to paint and color a lot while I was in school. Although, I no longer paint nor color, I consider art your imagination. Art is like your imagination because you can think of anything, and make you feel happy, sad, mad, etc. Art is amazing in so many different levels. There are so many different meanings to art, no one can name all the meanings of art or what it is.

5. ZeeMan

ZeeMan New Member

In my opinion art is an outward expression of emotion like no other. Art allows you to create things with your emotions and allows to share these things with others. As I paint, draw, or sculpt I feel emotions pouring out in ways I can not describe. You feel so happy when other people look at your creations with their own eyes.

6. mrindependent

mrindependent New Member

Art to me is an expression and imagination created in a painting, drawing or sculptures

7. ThaatNewMommy

ThaatNewMommy New Member

Art to me is anything you create out of whatever reason: you found something inspiring, you want to release emotions, you want to create something inspiring. Art to me is not just paintings and drawings, but can be sculptures, music, dance, film.... There are so many ways to create art. Even cooking certain things in certain ways can be art. Creating can be so cathartic and it saddens me that some people prefer not to get themselves into the act of creating.

8. Kumari

Kumari New Member

In simple words art is one's imagination, a way to express feelings, emotions and happiness. It's something that I enjoy doing. Art is an expression of one's creativity which varies from person to person. It can be a beautiful painting, a poem, a monument, a pretty handmade shawl. Art is your creative inner words or it's a medium of communicating with one's inner self. When you are creating or doing any form or art work it helps to clear your mind and soul which makes you happy and peaceful. Something very beautiful which cannot be duplicated or copied.

9. fritzyfrea

fritzyfrea New Member

I often look at fine art. Art created primarily for beauty rather than utility, such as painting, sculpture, watercolor, etc.-as something to be appreciated through the eyes only. Oftentimes, we only look at the colors, shapes, and lines. We forget that fine arts are also rich sources of literature. Short stories can be created in fine arts as inspiration. If painters tell stories through their art, we, too can tell stories about their art. The choices are endless: a beautiful setting in a painting, the curved shapes of a sculpture, and so on. This way, visual and literary arts, grow and flourish.

10. phoonthagoon

phoonthagoon New Member

]Art is a story. A symbol of ones creative to express very true

11. lweather

lweather New Member

Art is a very broad subject, it can be anything. Art gives you insight into another person's mind and it can be expressed through paintings, poetry, sculptures, music, dance etc. It opens up our eyes to what's around us and gives some of us an escape when creating it. Without it the world would be lost and very dull.

12. star22

star22 New Member

For me art is about expressing a feeling, capturing it into a picture and showing it to the world. I like abstract painting the most,because everyone can see something different in the picture, something they can relate to.

13. johanna white

johanna white New Member

Art is a form of self expression and an entertaining way to spend time. Activities like painting and sketching can be very good for the mind. Taking part in art can be very relaxing and good for the mind. There is a great feeling of accomplishment that can be found in completing your very own piece of art.

14. NIMO

NIMO New Member

Art is certainly a form of expression to me. It is about being free and letting go of exceptions from society to create you, live you,be you. It is one of the most liberating things you can do and through it the art tells your story/journey without words. That is really awesome.

15. supersash

supersash New Member

Art, for me is a form of self-expression. Although I am not an artist myself, but I have good eyes for judging great art pieces. Whenever I see nice art masterpieces, how I always wish I can paint, draw, and express my artistic side. Though if I have time, I try to sketch some clothing designs (gowns, dresses, etc.) which I just keep to myself.

Also, I love writing which is also an art (I believe). This is one of my passion and and my form of self-expression.

16. Silver

Silver New Member

I don't think of art as a physical thing like drawings or paintings. I think of art in hearing it in music, like the song Ave Maria beautiful and an emotional really touching the soul anything that can make you cry not out of pain, but in joy is art real art, it's the most beautiful sounds that we hear that make us just want to escape from are reality and go somewhere far. Futhermore Mozart's music is also a masterpiece just like others out there.

17. HappyHeart

HappyHeart New Member

Yes! Art helps me in so many ways. As a child I grew up in a religion that created a lot of fear in me of punishment. I was always terrified to make mistakes. Art these days has really ripped of the chains of oppression I suffered as a child. I really submersed myself in abstract art in the beginning whenever I painted. You can't go wrong in that can you? I'm really glad you found it as a place to transform from what you endured :)

18. liza obando

liza obando New Member

Art is everything to me. The idea that we can create something from our minds, or from something that wasn't even art before it is pretty powerful, if you ask me. The idea that revolutions in the world have started from songs and theatre show how powerful it truly is, because it shows that it can make an impact. I think I would be lost without a good book, some music or a film, it gives me something to be excited about and a way to relax. I think people who don't experience art, or do not appreciate at least one type of form of it, are missing out on one of the best things in the world.

19. lexinonomous

lexinonomous New Member

Art is an expression of my deepest, darkest secrets. Art has allowed me to express myself in ways that I cannot through speech. I struggle with socialization and find comfort in a pen and paper. I believe that as humans, we can all relate to self expression and can find some sort of meaning in other people's work. The beautiful thing about art is that every single piece has a different meaning and that meaning is even more so different with every person it makes contact with.

20. Bruce Austin

Bruce Austin New Member

The art conveys a feeling you and feelings, thus a musical thought, a painting, a dance, sculpture, etc ... They are artistic expressions, inexplicable way that you move to a different world, your world of memories and dreams.