IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What is more important - lyrics or music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by raindrop, Jun 1, 2018.

?

Lyrics or tune?

1. Lyrics

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Tune

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. raindrop

raindrop New Member

It would be curious to see what is more important to people - the lyrics of a song, or its sound. In many of the cases they come connected and maybe you wouldn't be able to choose between the two, but if you absolutely had to... What would it be?

Another way to think about it is this: if you're feeling sad and want to make yourself feel better, would you listen to songs that have an upbeat sound without focusing too much on the lyrics (even if they're talking about pain or loss), or would you choose songs with lyrics containing a positive message, even if they are slower and less upbeat?

For me it's definitely the lyrics all the way, they make or break a song for me, and I can rarely enjoy a song with superficial lyrics that don't mean anything. How is it for you?

2. Huz

Huz New Member

For me, it's lyrics. The choice of music merely acts as a catalyst to the message the song is giving, which it delivers through lyrics.

Or let's put it this way: If a song has moving and emotional lyrics, it will deliver it's message to me in a better and faster way than a song with good music but average lyrics. This might be the reason I never enjoyed Despacito - I don't now Spanish, so I don't know that the song is saying.

3. Emberiee

Emberiee New Member

In my opinion lyrics is way more important.

Performer while writing a work into the lyrics puts all of his emotions and feelings and then just add the beat.

Of course sometimes beat cames first but lyrics still remains like a part of the performer feelings.

4. majapile2000

majapile2000 New Member

For me - Tune. Music can do much to me. The rhythm moves me and not the lyrics of the song. My opinion.

5. khris

khris New Member

The lyrics are the most important cause it is the most important part of a music. Lyrics are the one who explain to us the main meaning of the song. It convey the feeling of the composer when he/she is writing it. Tune are also important to make the song more appealing to the listeners but for me a nice tune with an inappropriate lyrics will completely destroy it. Like some songs today that have a nice rhythm but the lyrics is so inappropriate specially for kids. Songs can be a good or bad influence for the listeners and it all depend on the lyrics.

6. Orange40

Orange40 New Member

I prefer the lyrics of the song because it's the soul of the song. It expresses the meaning and feelings of a songwriter that affects a listener. The melody, rhythm are component of a good music. I always find music a healing to my emotions and it provides me a peace of mind.

7. misslizzy

misslizzy New Member

I would say that it's a tie between the lyrics and the music. The lyrics are important when it comes to how well the singer is singing them! If its a popular rap artist or if it's a popular rock singer I will definately love the voice and the lyrics just don't matter! It's more or less the music is just sooo good that you really can't decipher every word the singer is saying! I say that the music and melody and tune are soo important it would have to be a song I can instantly recognize just by hearing it once and hearing the guitars or beats makes it a hit to me for I know it's a popular song when it is catchy and easy to remember by the beats and guitars and melody and tune all alone! Some artists say they write songs and there is a really popular artist that has kind of ridiculous words in his lyrics and he always laughs when he talks about it because you just CAN'T understand the lyrics they are so muffled! But the song and chorus and tune is SOOO good that you laugh when you read the lyrics because they don't make sense!! And the song is a major hit! I'd say lyrics are important and tie in with just how important the backup tune and melody and instrumentation is. To make a good song you need to have both good lyrics and melody these days and a killer voice! The competition is just that bad.

8. Ezia

Ezia New Member

Trash

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  9. BrevinSittoni

BrevinSittoni New Member

In my opinion, both have equal importance. Music is not music without lyrics. But if I were to choose between the two I'll definitely go for the lyrics. Any nice music in my opinion, should be able to pass across a message (Communicate) and the best way to do so is through the lyrics. Lyrics gets not only your ears but also your soul.

10. Caroline Itobi

Caroline Itobi New Member

They both affect my interest in listening to the music.I would be very bored to just watch and listen to a song with no lyrics if its not familiar to me.On the other hand,even with the lyrics,I would still not listen to a song whose tune is boring.However,with both appealing tune and lyrics,I can sing one song all day long.In my opinion,I therefore believe that both the tune and the lyrics are of equal importance.

11. brandon_kabinga

brandon_kabinga New Member

Lyrics play a major role in music since, its what makes an individual think about the message conveyed even days after the person listened to it.

12. Twentysix76

Twentysix76 New Member

In my opinion, I would say that both are important in conveying what you like your listeners to listen.

The tune and lyrics both compliment each other. No one would love to hear music when it has a foul message or lyrics , same goes when you have a beutiful lyrics but has a crappy tune.

I believe that when you compose a song with a quality lyrics and music it will be played most often because you are playing a beautiful music.

13. GeorgeDr

GeorgeDr New Member

For me , lyrics aren't that important to a song I'm listening. Of course expressive lyrics can elevate a song higher and give some deeper meaning to it , but I don't think it's the deciding factor. Many times I've caught myself liking a song and truly enjoying it , without even realizing , or sometimes even understanding the lyrics.

For me it's the tune that does it all.It evokes emotions and can really influence my mood and my thinking. After all music is not poetry! From the conversations I've had about that matter , I seem to be in a minority on this matter , but what can you do? I play guitar after all! ;)

14. JosephAmaro

JosephAmaro New Member

For me lyrics is more important, because it's from there that come all the artist message and turn the music something meaningful. Sometimes does not matter the tune because you can hear a great tune and the music is talking about trash.

For me it doesn't matter if i hear Lady Gaga or Pink Floyd. It's the message behind

15. Vu Duc Dung

Vu Duc Dung New Member

In my oppinion, both lyrics and music are important, of course, in different ways. Lyrics are the letters which the think, the status of musician wants to bring to the audiences, everyone who wants to know the content of a song, needs to know the lyrics. On the other hand, music can be called "the soul" of song, sometimes, with some people, they only need music to feel almost the key of song, this appears with symphony.

16. rhonda farley

rhonda farley New Member

In my opinion, when I am listening to music, I enjoy the music lyrics as well as the tune of the song. I like the lyrics the best thou. I really do not have a favorite song that is just all music without any words in it. The only music that I can remember listening to without any words to it would be somebody like, Herbie Hancock.