IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What is the best way to teach or learn programming

Discussion in 'Programming' started by BoWaddy, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BoWaddy

BoWaddy New Member

Recently, I began teaching a friend of mine how to program. I am teaching him how to build websites using HTML, CSS, PHP AND MYSQL. We are currently on HTML but his learning progress is slow. My method of teaching is using the tags to write some and letting him see the result on the browser. I think that is the best way to teach programming to a rookie but it seems he is very slow in learning what I am teaching him.

What is the best way to teach or learn programming ?

2. LittleHelpz

LittleHelpz New Member

Hello BoWaddy,
    I'm not an expert in Web Development, but I am a blogger. I have learned CSS and HTML by the help of Google Chrome's Inspect Element tool. I suggest you to make use of this tool, so it will make your friend lively see the changes you make on your CSS and HTML code. This will also help him to get a basic outline of how a website user interface designs.

For example, open a famous website such as Facebook or Google, then let him change its appearance in Inspect Element tool.

3. badcannon

badcannon New Member

I would recommend you use W3 School link http://adyou.me/2Dao they have a very interactive display and learning method for slow students and for hard-core programmers this site will definitely help you

4. GameDomain

GameDomain New Member

Personally I would have him take some CodeCademy classes (some of them are free, if not all of them). It's just like what your doing, it tells you what you need to do and if you submit the code without doing it correctly then you will get an error message. I just watched a bunch of Youtube videos and Googled everything if I did not know something. That's the best way for me to learn is watching a video / tutorial.

5. DanielYahoo

DanielYahoo New Member

Thank you @badcannon, I have always wanted someone to teach me the various programming languages but I haven't been lucky as your friend @BoWaddy, and with the help of W3schools.com I hope to be a coder with time.

6. Antonio Savannah

Antonio Savannah New Member

To teach or learn programming is to go to www.w3schools.com. This website is ideal for the beginner who wants to learn about programming. If you do not have a computer but still want to know about programming, try reading books on programming. It may not feel the same, but you will have the all of the knowledge in your head whenever you start programming on the computer.

7. azarias

azarias New Member

I recommend to watch lessons from YouTube. There are plenty of tutorials about programming that you can watch. You can check thenewboston and Derek Banas's channel. I would also recommend to install an html editor app on your smartphone.

8. mjacy claire

mjacy claire New Member

Best way of learning programming is learning the basic first. I learned first the basic HTML and CSS by watching YouTube Tutorials and subscribing to some tutorial website that offer free programming lessons online. Learning programming courses needs a time dedication and a lot of patience because you can't learn it for one hour or even a day, it's a step by step learning process.

9. naknak_datu

naknak_datu New Member

This is an interesting topic for me. I've always wanted to learn about programming. But the problem is where should I go first and how? I hope there is something like a step by step tutorial video about programming, because this way it would a lot easier to understand and apply the basics.

10. vhinz

vhinz New Member

Learning web programming could be boring for beginners because they don't really enjoy it at first. In web programming, HTML is the very first skill that a beginner must learn because it is the basic structure of all websites. But when I'm teaching web programming, I don't just teach purely HTML, I combined it with basic CSS so that the learner will become more interested and enjoy it. What I usually do is design a page interface in photoshop so the learner would know what would be the output or take a screenshot of a website that I like and create that as I'm teaching HTML and CSS. So while creating the page, we'll come across with different HTML tags and CSS for which I'm going to explain its function and how to achieve such look in the page.

For me it is better to teach web programming in HTML and CSS if you have a layout that will be followed rather just teaching HTML tags individually.

11. Kassim

Kassim New Member

I would personally recommend W3schools.com. One of the best sites one can learn easily and explains each and everything in detail. Teaches from scratch all about web designing and programming. Focuses mostly on HTML, HTML5, CSS, BOOTSTRAP, JAVASCRIPT, PHOTOSHOP etc.