IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What Is the Meaning of Freedom?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Pure Grace, May 5, 2018.

1. Pure Grace

Pure Grace New Member

Freedom sounds to be an intellectual word, but does it really exists? Everyone wants freedom, but many do not choose it. Freedom sounds to be a philosophical word and has a very deep meaning.

So, what is the meaning of freedom according to you? Is it something that you can have or choose? Or we can never have freedom in our life? Many people say that we have to fight for freedom and peace. So, is that true?

Many people seek freedom from the materialistic word and take steps towards spirituality. So, what kind of freedom are you looking for?

2. rinklea

rinklea New Member

I think freedom is something one cannot achieve in one’s life.We all are bounded by some or the other thing.A child is bounded by his parents and parents are bounded by responsibilities.We often take the word “freedom” in a different manner as in being able to do stuff without anyone else’s consent but actually it means to do things with one’s consent which is not always an easy task.

3. nick124

nick124 New Member

I understand freedom as a lack of limitations. Another way to word it would be that freedom is an increase in possibilities. A door is free to swing when the stop is removed. A person is free from imprisonment, when they are allowed to leave. I wouldn't say that it exists of itself, but that it is a way we understand the way things could be. We could choose to believe that we have it.

I think that, when people say that we have to fight for freedom, they're speaking more politically, that they're referring to the belief that those in power seek to increase that power. On the bright side, if I'm correct, those who are reading this are free to see and read, so we can have freedom in life. on the other hand, we would lack freedom due to nature, social expectations, laws, and any other things we view as impossible, unacceptable, or unreasonable.