IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What is the simplest but most amazing and universally used invention of all time?

Discussion in 'Science' started by lynda.randle, Apr 20, 2015.

1. lynda.randle

lynda.randle New Member

Аttіrе,сlоthеs - fіrst usеd fоr wаrmth but nоw сlоthеs dеtеrmіnе уоur аgе,gеndеr, rасе, реrsоnаlіtу, thе wеаthеr, lосаtіоn, mооd, lооks,аssосіаtіоn. vеrу іntrісаtе - уоu саn tеll sо muсh dеtаіl frоm сlоthеs thаt уоu dоn't nееd muсh еlsе -- іt рrоvіdеs рrоtесtіоn fоrm wеаthеr lіst gоеs оn ...

Таkе а lооk аt thе аbоvе іmаgе -- fеmаlе, twеntіеs, mіddlе сlаss, wоrkіng аnd thаts јust а quісk lооk

2. Pedro Soares

Pedro Soares New Member

I think its the toilet, its simple and everyboody uses it ahahahahaha :p

3. fritzyfrea

fritzyfrea New Member

For me, it is the solar salt production. The most common way of producing salt is through solar salt production. With solar salt production, salt is extracted from sea water, lake, desert basin and underground brines by way of evaporation. This method is still used in developing countries. Solar salt is manufactured along coastlines or lakeshores as semi- agricultural operation in underdeveloped countries.

4. Mehak Vasishta

Mehak Vasishta New Member

I wouldn't class this invention as simple; however if it wasn't around then most probably all the other luxury items we use wouldn't be around today. The invention of electricity. The most important invention to date that powers everything around us!

5. MononobeYuu7

MononobeYuu7 New Member

Not trying to be cheesy but I think the greatest invention is the wheel. It literally moves our world. Everything from cars, trucks, airplanes, etc. Everything else came after that. I literally have no idea how we would survive if we didn't have the wheel.

icecat likes this.
  6. icecat

icecat New Member

LOL You beat me to it. Your answer is definitely not cheesy at all. I don't know how anyone could argue that the wheel is the greatest, most life-changing invention ever conceived of by mankind. There have been impressive inventions such as the lever, and the pulley, but nothing has changed human history like the wheel. But I will give honorable mention to the toilet! :D

7. happycow

happycow New Member

I wouldn't call it an invention, but the discovery of fire was extremely important to human evolution. That goes even further back in time than the wheel. It allowed us to cook our food, which led to better nutritional absorption. We still use fire to this day!

8. Ilarson

Ilarson New Member

I think it can be called an invention. It wasn't discovered through a controlled scientific study, sure, but it was something people took note of and learned to produce and control themselves. Much like electricity and many, many other things that are called inventions on a regular basis. Lots of inventions have been made by accident anyway.

The wheel is probably one of the most significant ones. Most of our machines are based on spinning some sort or wheels.

9. Benjamin Dilan

Benjamin Dilan New Member

Oral and Written Language is most important invention of all. We know very well that without it there would be no electricity, clothes, toilet, machines, automobiles, computers, cellphone in other words no civilization.

10. 6ends

6ends New Member

The wheel. Think about anything that can roll! Without the wheel we could not be having cars. The wheel has been in use for centuries now. Wheels are used in every field and most industrial applications. Most systems have been modified but the wheel remains the same!

11. burrdun

burrdun New Member

I agree with happycow, fire was extremely important in our development. Not that we invented it, but our discovery of how to purposely start and control it. As well as allowing us to get more nutrition via cooking, we could survive in colder climates and fire has advanced technology with heating, steam power, smelting, ironworking etc.

The wheel is very important too, it is the centre of engineering. Am I right in thinking the earliest computers had cogs, the Babbage ones?

12. tomstrong

tomstrong New Member

I thought a bit about stone flakes, since knapping is probably the most important technique learned by early hominids. I have also considered the stick (usually in more advanced forms) as a truly important tool, since it is the basis of many tools and weapons. Various apes fashion sharpened sticks to help collect food, and even to use as weapons.

Fire, of course, gave humans the ability to get greater value out of food by cooking, and also made possible more advanced living conditions, and allowed humans to survive in cold climates. Clothing and wheels also have been central to human life. But I go back to sticks and stones as the most important bits of technology.

13. Kogitsune-kon-kon

Kogitsune-kon-kon New Member

For me, the simplest but most amazing invention is Archimedes' screw, since it made moving water around a lot easier and quicker. Although, all the things previously mentioned are amazing inventions!

14. tomstrong

tomstrong New Member

The simple lever, also developed by Archimedes, is far more universal and useful. Of course, Archimedes did not actually INVENT either, he just showed the mathematical basis for simple machines. He also helped "publicize" all the various simple machines, including other ways of moving water (and using already moving water.

He also managed to show why there are no "perpetual motion" machines (at least, none capable of doing work). I have spent many hours arguing why proposed perpetual motion machines would not work. Of course, some of the proposed machines (always foreseen by Archimedes) will appear to work if aligned with the Earth's rotation. Electrical "free energy" devices can also rob from nearby utility lines, or the Earth's magnetic field.

15. tomstrong

tomstrong New Member

At the moment I am inclined to think of the pencil. That is because I realized that I had missed the "subscribe" function on Gateway. I realized that after completing my 10 posts and waiting a few hours to be rated. If you are rating my posts, please rate the above post, not this one.

16. tomstrong

tomstrong New Member

I realized a few hours ago that I had failed to subscribe to Gateway, but only a few hours after making my 10 posts. Please rate the above post, not this one.

17. laurie123

laurie123 New Member

I think the most important invention besides all the ones mentioned above is the telescope, because it gave us the ability to explore the universe. I also think the rocket because it gave us a way to get off earth and pave the way for future space travel. I think one day we will need to leave earth for whatever reason and I think they need to keep working to find ways for humans to travel the galaxy.

18. eZyeil

eZyeil New Member

For me the simplest and universally used invention of all times that I also considered as a masterpiece is TOOTHBRUSH. You can change its design,features but relocate its physical parts? Can you just imagine a tooth brush where its brush is in the center?

19. Chhanda

Chhanda New Member

Is there anyone who has never been in hospital for a health issue?

Did you ever get a prick? It must have left you with a tingling sensation.

So, if a prick can hurt you, what would have happened if it is a surgery?

No invention is simple until invented. There are many path breaking inventions, which have eased up human lives. It is thus impossible to single out one. Still, I would like to mention the anesthesia as one of the most intricate inventions. There is hardly a person who has survived without an injury. One can understand the meaning of relief when the suffering is at its peak. So, it is anesthesia for me.

20. ugochukwu

ugochukwu New Member

Light bulb is the answer. The world was in engrossing darkness until Thomas Edison came with light bulb. That single invention have been most significant to civilization since then till now. Every other scientific invention depend directly or indirectly to that amazing discovery. I can't imagine our modern life without without illumination.