IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What makes a good leader or manager?

Discussion in 'Business' started by Robert Turner, May 5, 2017.

1. Robert Turner

Robert Turner New Member

Some individuals are born leaders. They instill absolute and complete loyalty from their staff. That are loved and revered by the people they lead. Is there a secret formula common to these exceptional leaders that can be extrapolated and applied across the management sector or are these individuals "one off's".

Managent gurus like Simon Silek insist that there are habits that can be learnt to increase the efficacy of any manager. Whilst in principal I agree with this, not all individuals are able to adapt to a managent role.

A certain amount of personality and humanity is required to become an effective leader or manager of people. Do you think true leaders are made or born?

2. kymdynis

kymdynis New Member

Authority and administration come in different shapes and structures. What's more, not everybody can go ahead to end up noticeably an awesome pioneer , nor can everybody turn into an extraordinary director. They are two particular parts which require distinctive abilities to make progress in either. Understanding what every part is will better educate you whether you're a pioneer or a chief. In any case, it's valuable to know how each works.

Directors: executors for a pioneer's vision

As a rule, chiefs will direct the thoughts of the pioneer. A pioneer will endeavor to advance and champion new work strategy, they will control the bearing of the business and have a level of boldness that is required for good initiative . Envision pioneers as innovators and administrators are the individuals who take after those patterns, ensuring the workforce holds fast to those patterns. It isn't tyranny, however workers who are sure about their pioneers will comprehend that the patterns that they are taking after are great patterns. Patterns that originated from a position of comprehension, advancement and aptitude. Call it vision, maybe.

Administrators are not absolutely facilitators to a pioneer's vision, in any case. They help to encourage the vision of a pioneer by guaranteeing that workers take after. Chiefs are the gatekeepers who supervise the exercises of the business. It is imperative to have a group of good directors since they can be the distinction between helping an organization drive towards achievement or not. Pioneers aren't without accuse either. An awful pioneer can be far and away more terrible than an awful arrangement of chiefs in light of the fact that their awful choices can prompt the closure of an organization. The latest case is Marissa Meyer at Yahoo! Amid her polemical residency, she endeavored to renew Yahoo! through numerous (and unsuccessful) acquisitions. It didn't take ache for Yahoo! to be purchased by Verizon for a small 4.8 billion dollars. Basically what directors do is sort out, encourage, allocate and characterize reason. In the event that you envision that pioneers ask the inquiries what and for what good reason, the directors ask how and when.

Take after the pioneer, receive the benefits

Albeit both interlaced, both need to ponder how they approach their part – it isn't only an instance of taking after the pioneer aimlessly. Pioneers need to have faith in their thoughts with all their zeal and persuade individuals this is the suitable vision for the business and directors then need to guarantee that the pioneers vision is being done legitimately which requires abnormal amounts of vital arranging, assignment and its own particular feeling of administration, as well.

Pioneers frequently think outside the box – while chiefs manage complex frameworks and how best to use their group in those frameworks, pioneers tend to locate the best individuals to have around them and afterward the framework is worked around that. A key contrast among pioneers and administration then is that pioneers move their workforce and that is priceless. Pioneers think all the more long haul, they go out on a limb and look for change and shape a valid workforce. Consider it like parliament, the pioneer of a political gathering is the one with the vision and the general population who help him or her do that vision are the chosen government officials. Supervisors, similar to individuals from parliament, are imperative for hierarchical achievement, most likely, yet the pioneers truly direct an organization (or political gathering) towards accomplishment with their vision. They go as an inseparable unit – a great pioneer will require a decent supervisor, obviously, yet finding the correct pioneer is significantly more troublesome than finding a decent director.

Pioneers and supervisors – a fundamental advantageous interaction

Great supervisors should be interested in new thoughts, they have to adjust to clueless change, expect greatness from their representatives and impart consistently and productively. In like manner, pioneers should have the capacity to show these abilities as well. In any case, it is the path in which they use their collection of abilities that highlights the key contrasts in the way supervisors oversee and pioneers lead. Pioneers will concoct the thoughts, they will be the impetuses for change and they will request brilliance from their chiefs. Directors will then channel this down to their group. Along these lines the connection between a pioneer and an administrator must be co-agent and shared with the goal for it to work appropriately and bring achievement. Business requires solid pioneers and administrators, these are fundamental for an effective workforce.

postwriter likes this.
  3. Shondelle Taylor

Shondelle Taylor New Member

I do feel in order to be a good leader one must be: honest, fair, loyal, committed and have a high degree of confidence. Just having a team and delegating duties does not make you a good leader. Some persons think that being authoritative afford them to be a good leader; when you are leading a team of people, its important to raise the bar higher and set high standards.

4. LeeLeakey

LeeLeakey New Member

His skills and knowledge put in action.. and if he's a great team-builder, he is the best.
    How he relates with the public, colleagues and the other stuff matters too.. Service to others is key! The way he'll treat them and conduct himself around them matters too.. Last but not the least, how he's committed to see discipline and honesty reign at his place of work.

5. Chiku

Chiku New Member

His ability to provide a crear direction of the business. Also the way he engages in clear communication with his employees. The way he effectively develops staffs by training ,motivating ,and monitoring them. The way he exercises good judgement, he deals with facts.

His ability to plan and organise the business in order to get good results. Lastly is his ability to solve problems effectively.

6. Ongunyo

Ongunyo New Member

One becomes a good leader or manager when he or she is a good planner, good in listening and speaking to people, good in managing time, good in solving conflicts or rather conflict resolution e.t.c

7. NICHOLASMUKUHA

NICHOLASMUKUHA New Member

When I was still in school, sometime back, I happened to do "Industrial Organization and Management" as one of my core subjects. In this, I learnt that for a manager to be effective in execution of his/her duties he/she must approach management as an art and a science. This is because, as my teacher taught,"The science and art of management are interwoven and overlapping in nature.". Stay with me and I will explain how.

Management as an art, involves possessing the skills required to produce satisfactory results in specific areas. For example, as a planner, a good manager should be able to forecast future circumstances hence decide objectives and plans that will determine the policies to be followed and standards to be set.

Management as a science on the other hand, involves application of certain principles or laws for guidance in the solution of specific management problems. These of course have to be learnt since for the art to be effective, it must be grounded in the knowledge of these principles.

That, topped with diligence, an acceptable moral responsibility and the ability to motivate workers, would really make a good manager from my point of view. Thank you.

wendypie likes this.
  8. Folorunsho

Folorunsho New Member

For me, a good manager would understand and practise sound leadership principles such as consulting with staff, acknowledging people’s hard work, providing regular feedback and not intimidating or bullying people. My view is that a good manager is a firm but fair one and knows how to gain the commitment of staff. A good leader should also possess the ability to show respect, empathy, and care to those that follow him/her. Being empathetic allows a leader to tap into the emotions of an individual in order to connect with him/her in a better way.

9. yemzy

yemzy New Member

Humans are the most difficult to manage and not all of us has the gift of leadership.A good leader must always be patient and tolerant,These are two great traits that every leader must have.Constantly,A leaders tolerance level is always tried by the followers and it takes patience and control to deal with situations like that.Listening is a gift which all leaders also have,it shapes there decisions and makes them stronger.

10. Belinda M. Teodosio

Belinda M. Teodosio New Member

In my own opinion what makes a good manager is to be assertive. Assertive in a way that you must have a strong personality, can stand to your decision and be firm. I was once a manager in a private company and to be able a good leader, I strictly follow the Company Rules and Regulation such as reporting in the office on time,wearing proper uniform, and as much as possible refrain from making absences. If your people see you that you follow the rules, then they will just follow either. In case of erroneous report committed by my staff, I don't scold at them instead I teach them how to do it. I always give them advice how to correct it and how to be more productive. I held a meeting once a week to motivate them and to hear their concerns and give solution to the problems. I always asked their opinions and consider it if it makes sense. I call their attention even in a small mistakes so they can correct it as soon as possible. To make you a good leader, be a good example first to others and that's what I believed.

11. MANBETH

MANBETH New Member

A good manager should remember that his/her team is made up of individuals who strive to reach their own personal goals as well as the team's goals.

A good manager makes it a priority to meet with each individual within their team to discover strength and find ways to work on weakness

wendypie likes this.