IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What makes a movie great?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Ben Korir, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Ben Korir

Ben Korir New Member

It is true that everyone prefers one movie over another one. I am also such a person who sees some movies and label them either interesting or boring.

Recently, I was fascinated by the fact that whenever I rate a movie after watching, I use an unconscious process of determining if that movie was great.

So I started pondering on this fact, and I realised that I personally have just one factor that can either make or break a movie: it is storytelling. Everything in a movie tries in one way or another to communicate something to the audience through a story, which if it is interesting and well told, then automatically the movie will be great.

That is my opinion. So what about you? Is it the great story? Great characters? Or just the cinematography that is beautiful?

Share your thoughts on this.

Kimjongo likes this.
  2. MomoStarr16

MomoStarr16 New Member

First, I would like to tell you that I love movies too just like you. And have such a way to rate every movie that I watched. I like to post it or sometimes just write it for my own those movie that really caught my attention. Lets start with the least factor that I use on rating a movie. My #3 factor is about its "Originality". When it comes to movie, originality is so meaningful to me. If it is a unique or not a cliche plot then you are in my list. My #2 factor is "Characters". Of course, a great movie always leading up by the great actors. The way they give justice to their characters and passionately doing their work is a must for me. And my #1 factor is the "Story Twist". Every story should never be a cliche-easily-predicted story line. It must always have an awesome twist in the end.

And that's all about how I rate a movie. Here is one of my favorite that caught my attention until now:
    download (3).jpg

3. Sharon Ndaa

Sharon Ndaa New Member

To begin with, a movie is the art of entertainment with recorded sequence of film or video images displayed on a screen. There are various genres of movies; comedy, romantic, action only to mention a few. Everyone as their preferences depending on their interests.

Personally I will explain what type of a movie I would find great depending on my interests. I love adventurous movies, comedies too. I also love epic movies. The worst experience when watching a movie is to notice that u can predict future events in the movie. Simply because you have watched several movies with almost similar flow of events, or from general knowledge and guesswork. Hence my great movie would be one I can't predict what's coming next. Another thing is a movie with extra ordinary events. Twists that you can't explain what happens all you got left is "woow, that was incredible". For instance, an actor jumps from this building to the other, something that is impossible in normal life but the movie made it possible.

Additionally, the music used in the movies. I mean the soundtrack, if they match the mood of the movie, then that movie is great. Lastly, a movie with a happy ending. Where the bad guy is killed or eliminated or taken care of accordingly. A movie that doesn't let evil win is a great movie.

A movie with such characteristics is a great movie for me.

4. Sharon Ndaa

Sharon Ndaa New Member

To begin with, a movie is the art of entertainment with recorded sequence of film or video images displayed on a screen. There are various genres of movies; comedy, romantic, action only to mention a few. Everyone as their preferences depending on their interests.

Personally I will explain what type of a movie I would find great depending on my interests. I love adventurous movies, comedies too. I also love epic movies. The worst experience when watching a movie is to notice that u can predict future events in the movie. Simply because you have watched several movies with almost similar flow of events, or from general knowledge and guesswork. Hence my great movie would be one I can't predict what's coming next. Another thing is a movie with extra ordinary events. Twists that you can't explain what happens all you got left is "woow, that was incredible". For instance, an actor jumps from this building to the other, something that is impossible in normal life but the movie made it possible.

Additionally, the music used in the movies. I mean the soundtrack, if they match the mood of the movie, then that movie is great. Lastly, a movie with a happy ending. Where the bad guy is killed or eliminated or taken care of accordingly. A movie that doesn't let evil win is a great movie.

A movie with such characteristics is a great movie for me.

5. Kimjongo

Kimjongo New Member

I suppose a great movie has high definition graphics with a thrilling story line that adds up to make a great script.

In addition to the above explanation, a movie can be considered great if only its content and the story line prove convincing and real. This is one good reason why nowadays people are so much into documentaries because they are based on real events that happened.

6. justmine

justmine New Member

Well first of all the story. The movie without story is useless. The writer should create something very interesting story to make the people interested to watch that movie. There are some movies that really just a waste of time and money. The acting of the cast is the one of the most important thing also. Even the writer has a good story, it's still useless if the casts don't know how to act properly depends on their roles. They are just wasting the story. The production should choose the best actors and actress to perform for the role. The background music also is the other important thing. While our eyes chose intentionally what to see and dismiss other parts, our ears are defenseless in what to hear. Music is directly goes to heart and should be used very carefully. Sometimes for me, the indie movies are much more better compare to the bigger production.