IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What Makes A Song Good?

Discussion in 'Music' started by SirenOnFire, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SirenOnFire

SirenOnFire New Member

Music style and genre evolves the way many things in the world does too. I mean, wouldn't it be funny what the reaction of people in the 60's would have been, if out of nowhere Gangnam style by Psy was played on the radio? How about Work by Rihanna? I have nothing against this kind of music or the artists behind them, I'm just merely pointing out how different things are now compared to 50 years ago.

Back then, it feels like more attention was given to the lyrics compared to rhythm that accompanies it. It's more about the soothing sound and the heartfelt message of each song. Now, it's more about the beats really. People can be called singers despite not really being able to sing well because of auto-tune and others.

Anyway, for me, what really makes a song good and can be called with high quality, is when it's able to have both a catchy sound and really good lyrics. Ed Sheeran's songs for example have been able to do this, in my opinion, as well as Alessia Cara's and Sam Smith's.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this?

2. silentzero07

silentzero07 New Member

The best thing that I see or notice that makes me interested to such musics is the beast and the content of the lyrics because it is very attractive and entertaining to the people who listen to it. When I listen to music I always focus to the beat, especially it is the type of music that usually brings many beats, and it forces me to dance and I love it because I am a dancer but if the music is about love or something I always stick to the content of the music because it is the reason why I want to listen.

When I have company or friends like singing in videoke it gives so much fun because we enjoy while singing and it is not about the lyrics and the beats it is about the happiness that you felt when you have friends around you and that is one of the best things that I love to a music because it doesn't give such interest to us but happiness too.

3. Hannah Malagueno

Hannah Malagueno New Member

What makes a song good is the lyrics and the beat/rhythm. Any song can be one's favorite as long as it matches the listener's preferred genre and if its content reflects the listener's emotion. For me, I love heart-warming poetry pieces and compositions. Granted that, I fancy songs from sort of genres as long as they have good lyrics. Although, I prefer songs from slow rock, RNB, and indie genres. Such tracks give me the melancholic feels that makes me want to think about just life while curling up in bed.