IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What programming language should I start learning ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Sainfai, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Sainfai

Sainfai New Member

Hi, I've been into computers for a long time, 10+ years. I used to play a lot of computer games and after some time I actually started building computers myself and getting into tech.

Just recently I thought getting into programming. It has always been an interesting concept for me, but I never had the chance to learn programming. Now, I have a lot of free time on my hands and I would like to learn to program as a hobby first and then, slowly convert it into a full-time job.

I was just wondering, what programming language do you think I should start with? Which one has the most job opportunities these days and is not hard to learn? Also I was wondering, how much time would it take me to learn a language and be able to earn money from it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Sathish

Sathish New Member

I started my professional career as a Java developer was there for 5 years. Then Cloud Computing became a hot topic so I switched from Java to one of the Cloud leader called 'Salesforce'. This is one of the hot company which is racking up money all over the world and you can try google search it and see the job opportunities to confirm.
    One of the blog which they posted is below
    https://developer.salesforce.com/blogs/blog/2016/05/highest-paying-development-jobs.html

So they have proprietary languages called 'Apex', 'VisualForce', 'Lightning'.. Apex is a server side program similar to Java but not as complex/ Visualforce is for front end like HTML.. Lightning is more for the mobile apps.

3. melody daniel

melody daniel New Member

Hi, I would have suggested you learn python but you are already a tech guy, so I 'd suggest you learn c++ because you are already into hardwares, not that python can't do hardwares but c++ has more efficiency and authority.

But if you want to do programming as a hobby then python all the way, python is a very powerful ,general purpose scripting language that's popular because of it's clean syntax, Ideal for beginners.

4. Patrickrop

Patrickrop New Member

I would suggest c++ and c for staters.This will lay a basic foundation that will assist you to learn about other programming languages more easily.Java can be the next one because they inter-relate alot.Learning how to program is fun,you'll cruise through various programming languages within no time and you'll become a solid coder

5. Decypher7

Decypher7 New Member

You can start with python as a beginner but don't be deceived by the comments you see above, Programming is not as easy as they paint it, when you get in you will see the real deal behind programing, it's just like the antarctic ice, it's deeper than you think, so don't think it's just a work in the park.

You need to have the motivation, that burning desire in you to excel, cause you will meet an army of errors and empire of stacks that needs to conquered. because the more you look the less you see. Programing is done by the brain your fingers are just the tools, so you need to sharpen up your brain to be able to compete in the labor market, because it now over saturated with half baked programmers, who only scoped the top of it and think they have arrived. But trust me if you know your onions well, you be smiling to the banks.

Don't be discouraged tho with my write up, but be challenged, because the world needs you, yes the world needs the best guys out there and to be the best you need to work real hard for it. It's not really that hard to learn a language and write a simple code with it, but it's really hard to find someone prolific and skilled in front of the language.

Welcome to world of coders

6. akshaychouhan785

akshaychouhan785 New Member

Programming language learning is dependent on which area you plan to go into. You can decide to be a frontend web developer or a backend web developer.

For frontend developing, I would suggest leaning HTML and CSS (HTML and CSS are not 'computer programs languages' but rather I'm placing this in here for learners). HTML is the layout of a website while CSS is the style of a website. Other are JavaScript and typescript (relatively new but good for angular 2 apps)

For backend developing, I would suggest learning java, Python, Rust or Php.

Java: In the long run, it’s always a great choice because it's used by more than 15 billion devices and over ten million developers use Java worldwide. Go for Java if you want to go into creating android apps, games, software and website content.

Python: Easy to learn object oriented programming language (just like writing English).

Rust: If you are interested in creating applications, learning Rust would be a great choice.

PHP: Hypertext Pre processor, is the most popular server-side programming language. It uses "recursive acronym."

Other notable backend programming languages are Go, Swift, Elixir.

You can learn these and more free from codeacademy, stackoverflow, YouTube, codewars, coursera, edx, udemy etc.

7. LightMan123

LightMan123 New Member

I believe Java and C# are always handy programming languages to learn. These two languages can be a bit tough for new folks, but if you practice a bit, you should get the hang of it. Java and C# are mostly used to develop apps.

If you want to code websites from the scratch, I suggest you to learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. If you know these three, you should be able to code cool and unique websites.

8. pixelex

pixelex New Member

I would recommend python. It's easy to learn and has an infinite amount of uses. Python is seen practically everywhere and if it can be done in programming, chances are it can be done in python.

9. Phoebe Jeske

Phoebe Jeske New Member

Hey there!

Both Javascript and HTML are super fun and easy to learn. Also CSS is a must-know if you're learning both of those, but that can hardly be called a language because it's so basic. No, seriously, anyone can learn CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets, in a matter of minutes.

If you don't already know, Javascript, HTML, and CSS are the languages of web pages. If you can program in these, you can speak the language of the web. (It sounds quite exciting when you say it like that). Anyway, out of the three, Javascript is most definitely the hardest to learn. However, with the help of a teacher (find Chris Minnick or Eva Holland online) or a good book, you can learn anything, right?

Have fun, and happy programming!
    Phoebe