IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What would happen if there were no Moon?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Mohsin, May 22, 2017.

1. Mohsin

Mohsin New Member

The most immediate effect (other than the lack of moonlight, of course) would be on the Earth’s tides. With only the Sun’s gravitational influence, the difference between high and low tides would be reduced dramatically - as would tidal drag, which slows the Earth down at a rate adding about 0.002 seconds to the length of a day each century. Long term, the effects would be far more serious. The climate of the Earth is sensitively dependent on the 23.5° tilt of the Earth’s axis, and without the stabilising presence of our relatively huge Moon, the gravity of the other planets would produce big changes in this angle - as it does with Mars, whose tilt changes by 60° over a few million years.

2. Olufemi David Olatunji

Olufemi David Olatunji New Member

The
    The moon lights up the night. It reflects the light of the sun on to us, even when the sun is on the other side of the earth.

3. NICHOLASMUKUHA

NICHOLASMUKUHA New Member

We would not have calendars. Science teaches us that the moon makes a complete revolution around the earth atleast once every 29 days. During this revolutions, it appears in different phases that help us estimate days and seasons. A perfect real life example, the Islamic religion looks out for the moon during their Ramadhan holidays.

The moon causes the rising and falling of ocean tides. There are atleast two high and two low tides every 25 hours. These tides help to keep the ocean flowing, assist in generation of electricity as well as help in cleansing the ocean shorelines.

Last but not least, we would have darker nights if it were not for the moon reflecting them sun's light. Thank you.

4. plenc

plenc Member

You float upwards because there is a Zero gravity pulling you up into the dark space where stars hung on, That is why the astronauts put on heavy clothing and Metal shoes i think,:D

5. ageneral

ageneral New Member

Without moon Earth would be more different, no eclipse, no tides, no calendar and affects the Earth’s orbit. The Earth will tumble chaotically because there will no gravitational pull between the earth and the moon. Without the Moon to act as a stabilizer, the Earth begins to tremble sending our seasons into chaos and changing our orbit around the Sun to tremendously elliptical rotation.

6. Keibah

Keibah New Member

If you looked closely at the moon you would notice that it has got craters as a result of bombardments by meteorites while it is protecting the Earth. So if the moon is gone we would become more vulnerable to those rocks.

Aside from the fact that there wouldn't be oceans tides, the gravitational force that churns the ocean would be absent, hence ocean would be calmer thereby decreasing life activities in the ocean which will in turn destabilize the aquatic food chain and energy level leading to extinction of vulnerable species.

The moon accounts for one-eightieth of the Earth-Moon mass system so with the moon gone, it would affect the orbit of the Earth and rotation may be wobbly tending towards the sun or away.

The moon gives life to the night. It makes it peaceful for night owls like me, with the moon gone it would seem like a ghost town.

7. Daniella

Daniella New Member

The moon has a force that moves tidal waves around the earth so there would be no tidal waves without the moon. Also no moonlight meaning night time would be much darker and probably a bit colder. A lot of things would differ without the moon it would be hard to know all of them without it happening.

8. monaobispo

monaobispo New Member

Without the moon, the stars in the sky will be lonely. When I was a child, my father used to jokingly say to the moon, "Moon, moon, give me food to eat". So I thought before that the moon can give us food to eat. But seriously, without the moon, not only the stars will be lonely but also us, earth people. The stars may not even have enough light to shine on us so the night will be darker. There will be no songs like "Fly Me to the Moon" and "Moon River". Perhaps, all the meteors will fall on earth. There will be no high tides and low tides. I wonder how the Chinese New Year and all the celebrations related to the moon will be celebrated.

9. lemos10

lemos10 New Member

Nights would become a total darkness. You wouldn't be able to see much ,if nothing at all. The only light that would reach the surface of the Earth during night would come from the distant stars and space dust reflecting light off them. The ocean would be a lot less active since the tides occur due to the nonuniform Moon's gravitational force acting on the Earth's oceans. Days would probably have different duration since the Moon affects the Earth's rotation according to angular momentum and gravitational considerations (which I won't go into details). Earth's geography would probably be a little bit different since it is hypothesized that the Moon came from the impact of a dwarf planet with the Earth. These are some of the things I can list from my head right now, there are probably a lot of other effects... If I'm not mistaken, even biological life have cycles that are associated with the orbital period of the Moon. Would woman have different periods without a Moon?

10. Delmierose

Delmierose New Member

Could Earth survive without Moon? I think no. In the event that the moon was devastated brutally enough for it to break separated, we'd probably experience an entirely vicious moon shake storm down here on Earth. With the gravitational draw of the moon missing, tides as we probably are aware they would be finished. Because of the loss of the gravitational draw, or the "flexing" that Earth's become used to for the last 4.5 billion years, the center of the planet may feel some ungainly moving. Our Earth will be likely doom.

11. Carmela

Carmela New Member

I read from some article that if there was no moon, we would have only 12 hours a day. This happens because the gravitational force the moon has on the earth slows the earth down. Before I read that article I never knew how important the moon actually was. Thanks to the moon we get to have 24 hours a day.

12. Ofonime Udo

Ofonime Udo New Member

It's true I also read some-thing of that nature some-time ago,the gravitational force the moon has on earth really slow down the earth,I beleive that is the reason why we had 24hours,but precisely I beleive even if the moon didn't exist it shouldnt have been 12hours a day,lets assume the whole day will have been 28 to 30 hours approximately.