IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What's The Meaning Of Your Name

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Ayinna, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Ayinna

Ayinna New Member

As an African, I have come to realise that names are as important as anything. There's a Nigerian proverb which says: "The name one gives his dog is the name the dog is likely to answer".

Most Nigerians believe that the name one bears has a way of shaping certain behavior and decisions of such an individual. But as preposterous as it may sound, there's still some truth behind it. This is why special care and consideration are taken before one names a child.

Here in Nigeria, the name one bears is likely to either have a story or message behind it. For instance, my native name is "Enyinna" (anglicized as "Ayinna" ) which means "father's friend" while the name of my twin sister is "Nnenna" which is loosly translated as "her mother's father". (In the eastern part of Nigeria, Nnenna is a feminine name given to girls who are believed to be the reincarnation of their paternal grandmother). Such kind of factors, experience and events are considered while naming a child in Africa.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to know if there's a story, message or a meaning behind your name.

2. Abdul Siddiqui

Abdul Siddiqui New Member

My name, which is in the Arabic language, is Abdul-Hai Siddiqui. My first name means "slave of the evr living/eternal". This refers to God. It means that I am the slave of the being who never dies. My last name, Siddiqui, means the honest one. This name may be traced back to one of the companions of the Prophet Muhammed, peace and blessings be upon him, who was nicknamed as-siddiq, which means the honest one.

3. Tru Aveli

Tru Aveli New Member

I come from the central part of Kenya just near the Mt.Kenya. I got my name 'Muriuki' from my paternal grandfather and it basically means someone who's resurrected from the dead (like Lazarus).
    We also have people who got thier names due to the events that were taking place during their conception. I'll give an example of the name 'Karanja' which was first given to an age set that had been afflicted by a strange disease. The sufferers spent inordinately long periods out in the sun, warming themselves. 'Kwara' means to lay out, 'nja' means outside.

4. Paufa

Paufa New Member

My nickname 'Fa' means blue or sky in Thai. 'Pau' basically means enough or similar to. So my name in Thai basically translates to like the sky.

5. irina

irina New Member

My name is Irina. I am from Ukraine. Originates from ERINI the Greek Goddess of Peace. It truly reflects my character, friends say i am very peaceful:)

6. Ognjen

Ognjen New Member

I was born in the Balkans. In the old times, people believed that giving your child a strong name (like Wolf or Lion) would protect their child from the evil in general and from mythical beings, but also influence the child's future life and character. My name is Ognjen, from the noun oganj (on cyrilic огањ) meaning fire, flame. And I can say from experience, I am quite the emotional and passionate person, a characteristic often given to fire.