IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

what's the true meaning of the word "Love"

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by princecharles, Dec 22, 2016.

1. princecharles

princecharles New Member

when it comes to love everyone has their own meaning, When I look at the bible in "1st corr 13:4" Jesus gives the qualities of love but, how do you understand it? are you obeying this command from the Lord? And is it applying in our lives today? please give your views,every comment is accepted. Thanks

2. odette3282000

odette3282000 New Member

Truly Love is a complex thing for many and often abused and misused. The verse you cited is elaborates the kind of Love God wants us people to have. LOVE in its simplest form means sacrificing. Love could also mean Charity. Love in the bible teach us to sacrifice, to be passionate, to be kind. Love is to have mercy, to give, to lend a helping hand expecting nothing in return. The verse you cited is very much applicable and should be applied in our daily lives. We may not be perfect but we could practice it everyday. Say for example when going out and you crossed a helpless beggar, instead of buying something you like, you sacrifice it to give alms to the beggar. Or sacrificing time and effort to help an old man to cross on the road. It may be simple things but the passion and kindness and mercy on it is the biggest deal. It's what God wants for people to have, to care for other people. If you ask if I am obeying it? Yes to the best I can. I take opportunity to help as long as I can. And if an opportunity comes and circumstances fail me to do so I believe God is Good to understand every situation. And if I intentionally fail to help that is because I have weaknesses because I am human too, but I believe God is willing to forgive if we heartily ask for it. The Bible shows us how and why we should love and if we consider ourselves God fearing person then we must do our best to attain the greatest love being taught in the bible by His love and grace.

princecharles likes this.
  3. muna bedan

muna bedan New Member

It is true that each person has their own view of love.As with many things, love simply means taking pleasure in a person's looks , achievements ,or their personalities.

Apart from this,the bible expresses another aspect of love. In this case love is not a delight in what a person is, but a deeply felt commitment to help him become what he ought to be. Only in this understanding can we be able to look at our fellow human beings as people to be loved and not objects to be used.

4. Jane

Jane New Member

I would rather that Love doesn't have a specific meaning. It's spontaneity and vagueness make it more beautiful. Otherwise, it would be like reading a script and do it accordingly. I guess, it should be more of a feeling than a mere noun or verb. I like how people feel it then explain other than explain then feel.

5. engrlanre

engrlanre New Member

Love definition has always been relative, everyone define it from the perspective of an ideology. My opinion about it should be what i learned from the prophet of Islam that " None of you really have faith until you love for your brother exactly what you love for your self". Also a statement has been attributed to Jesus Christ that He said " Love your neighbor as thyself".

princecharles and Veronica like this.
  6. Veronica

Veronica New Member

That's a complex question. Love is when you love someone else more than you love yourself. It might be anyone. Some people love God more or families, husbands or wives even children.

When you lose yourself and cannot live without that person. The feeling is so extreme, so intense and rules your heart.

7. Reese

Reese New Member

GOD is LOVE. "God so loved the world that he gave his only Son" It was love that spoke a world and human beings into existence… Love that allowed the beloved to walk away… Love that reached out, reached down, reached into the heart of the mess… Love that gave itself away… Love that will guide us home.

8. shaneka jones

shaneka jones New Member

I think that love is the acceptance between two people that decide to create a romantic life together despite their differences. These two people have a mutual agreement to be and stay together at all times. These two agree to grow together and make each other better. They are each other's best friend and great lovers. These two people in love will not allow any outsiders to hinder what they've built.

9. jen

jen New Member

Love means kindness, forgiveness, mercy, understanding, caring, strenght, faith, pure and clean.
    This only means love is GOD!
    For GOD is LOVE!

10. Xiasses

Xiasses New Member

Love is powerful. As simple as that. It moves us to live as human, and not as a beast. :) Love endures and conquers it all.