IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Where do we go when we die?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by leesaloves, Jul 17, 2017.

1. leesaloves

leesaloves New Member

Many people believe that after death, all go to heaven regardless of the kind of life they lived while on earth. Take the movies for instance, a man could be a murderer, who was killed right after he committed this crime, however at his funeral it is suggested that he is now in heaven.

Others believe that when a sinner dies, he goes straight to hell and when a christian dies, he/she goes straight to heaven. What does the Bible have to say about this?

John 5:28-29 “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” This scripture reveals that all who died are in the grave awaiting the resurrection and that we will be rewarded for the deeds we have done. Matt 16:27 For the son of man shall come in the glory of his father with his angels and then, he shall reward every man according to his works. Please note, the words "and then," which tells us that he is going to reward us when he returns. Rev 22:12 “And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.” 2 Peter 2:9 “The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:”

It is clear based on these scriptures that there is a specific day set aside for the judgment of mankind. We choose the life we want to live and based on that life we seal the fate of our future. The righteous will be rewarded with eternal life while the sinners reward, will be death.

Is our loved ones up in heaven looking down on us as so many believe? Do they become our guardian angels? Well Ecc. 9:5 says this; ”For the living know that they shall die, but the dead know not anything.” So I guess the dead is just, dead and that he neither knows what we are up to anymore than he knows what God is up to.

A good example to look at in the bible is the story of Lazarus, who died. Was Lazarus in heaven when Jesus called him and said come forth? Would Lazarus after his death if he was in heaven, choose to come back to earth and if he was in heaven, would he not have been so exited to tell everyone he knew, of his experience in such a beautiful place and would he not have mentioned seeing the great Moses and Elijah, all the prophets and patriarchs that died years before? Food for thought.

Read John 11:21-26 and note the conversation with Jesus and Martha regarding Lazarus.

What is your view on this topic?