IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Which features do look for when buying a computer ?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by pnjoro, Jun 21, 2017.

1. pnjoro

pnjoro New Member

When buying a computer you should look for the features of different computers so that you can compare and buy the one which has the best features or the one that impresses you. The following are some of the features of a good computer:
    1. Well made
    2. Best catching quality
    3. Excellent RAM capacity
    4. New processor
    5. Excellent mother board quality, etc.

2. KoechBrian

KoechBrian New Member

Before buying my computer, I had specific features that I would find satisfying. Following were the some of the features:
    1. Size. I preferred the design of the laptop to be slim and light.
    2. Ram. More ram allows more applications to run at the same time, thus I would need 4GB ram or more, to get the best out of the system.
    3. CPU. CPUs offer the best performance when it comes to multitasking and multimedia tasks. Core i3-based notebooks are generally found in entry-level systems, while Core i5 makes up the majority of mainstream computer. Core i7-based systems are for those of you who want the best performance from your laptop.
    4. Storage. Hard drives used to be all the rage, but these days they are mostly out of favour, especially for thin and light laptops. This is because they can be slow, somewhat bulky, and produce noticeable heat and noise. A solid state drive (SSD), on the other hand, offers a lot more speed than a hard drive, runs silently, and can be installed in a form factor that doesn’t add too much to the weight and bulk of a laptop.
    Of course, features need to balance with one's budgets and needs. Rarely does a laptop come along that ticks all the boxes, especially when it comes to price.

3. TheBigWolf

TheBigWolf New Member

The required features depend on your priorities but still I will tell you the features required for a decent computer.

1.Screen Size- A 19 inch screen would be decent enough for a desktop computer, a 15.6 inch screen would be nice for a laptop.

2.RAM- At least 4 GB Ram is required but 8 GB would be perfect.

3.ROM- At least 500 GB is required but 1 TB would be great.

4.Processor- Intel processors are the best. At least i3 is required but i5 would be great.

5.Graphics Card- Graphic cards are mainly used for gaming. A 2 GB graphic card would just make it a decent computer.

So,in a limited budget,a computer would deliver good performance with these specs.

4. juxtapositi0n

juxtapositi0n New Member

There are a few features that a computer can have that determine its value. It depends on what the primary use of the machine would be. We will use gaming as an example.

• RAM (Random Access Memory): RAM is where information is temporarily stored for rapid retrieval by your computer system. Ideally for current games, 4GB will be fine, but 8GB or above would be ideal. I believe a comment above mine mentioned this as well.
    • Storage: You have two options for storage. The classic option is a spinning-disc hard drive. The drive has to spin to find the information it wants, and to execute it. The faster (more expensive) option is solid state, where there are no moving parts. The information is accessed as soon as it is requested.
    • Graphics: Any new-gen graphics card will suffice. If it was released in the last two or three years, you're good to go. There are nuances here and there, but if you're not going for "best of the best", then that rule of thumb will guide you well. Some motherboards can even handle two or more graphics cards!
    • Processing Power: Your processor is the brain of your computer. It works with the motherboard to guide your system, and uses its various cores to do so. The more cores running at a higher GH/s (gigahertz per second), the faster and more responsive your computer will be.
    These four things are the main components of a gaming computer. They are, arguably, the most important.

KenBrace likes this.
  5. osolase

osolase New Member

Choosing from a variety of options can be confusing especially when buying a new computer, most importantly a laptop computer. I am often guided by some personal preferences that is important to me. This list is not in any specific order.

1) Weight and Design: If it is not light and ultra slim, It is not worth my attraction. Since I carry along my laptop almost every well I go. I don't need it to occupy much space and to add undue weight in addition to other items in my backpack. Screen size of not more than 14 inches too. I hate big screen.

2) Battery Life: I love laptops with extended battery life, at least 6-8 hours, that I don't need to carry my charger along with me everytime. And I love those that charges very quickly too.

3)ROM: 500G will be enough as I depend more on my external hard drive to store my files.

4)RAM: I don't need an heavy duty laptop, so a 4G RAM is enough for me.

5)Price: Ofcourse price. Must not be more than $800. I can't spare so much yet for a new laptop.

6) Brand: I am not so choosy on brand. Any product from HP, DELL, ASUS, or ACER with this specifications is just fine for me.

6. Jerick Gwapo

Jerick Gwapo New Member

The first thing to consider is the processor. I would recommend a high end processor with lots of cores in it. The more the cores, the better it would performed. Like for example, the intel company just lately released Intel iCore9 processor. This is the best processor so far. Average processors are CPUs with 2-4 cores in it.

Next thing we must consider is the RAM (Random Access Memory). If you have smaller RAM then you computer would have lag. So far, a computer with 2GB RAM is still good. Higher than 2GB RAM is better and performs faster. Next is the Clock Speed, the one that is measured in Gigahertz. Those old model computers has around like 1.8GHz clock speed. If you have 3.0GHz clock speed or higher then it would be better. Computer is about performance rather than its physical look.

So those are just features I look in a computer before buying - its all about the performance. Brand, Colors , Size, those are just minor things you consider according to your preference.

7. Gaurav Singh

Gaurav Singh New Member

Let's put things in hierarchy,
    1. Processor: Arithmetic, logical, control, I/O processes.. It's all handled by this one hardware. More Clock rate (in GHz), faster processes. More Cores, multiplies power of single processor i.e running various processes in parallel. More Cooled, uses less power (use of better heat sink). Above 2Ghz is good, 2.2Ghz are great.
    2. RAM: Volatile storage for immediate primary data requirement by Computer is fulfilled by RAM. More Size (in GB), bigger programs can be handled at the same time. Games, HD videos, 3D graphics requires large data. Minimum 2GB should be there for descent jobs, 4GB,6GB is recommended.
    3. Secondary Storage: The verdict lies in HDD/SSD. The secondary storage stores OS files, data files, media files, etc. SSD is much better because it's a flash drive, no mechanical work to yield power, it's lighter, it's faster (speeds near 0.5 GBps). HDD has lower read-write speed with some noise and vibration. SSD with more or equal to 120GB are recommended, but size should be user dependent.
    4. Graphics: The GPU. It will govern the quality of whatever you'll see, and will run the apt. drivers. Nvidia, AMD, Intel are the favourites. They depend on clock rates and bandwidths they can support.
    5. Ports: USB3? HDMI? AV?
    6. Monitor: A full HD 1920*1080 monitor is great while 4K ones break the ice for life like displays.
    7. Heat Management: A powerful dust repelling fan is a great asset. Heat sinks on GPU, CPU are very important.

8. Hello World

Hello World New Member

You should look for
    1. The processor of the PC. Intel or AMD.
    2. Check the amount of RAM . 8GB or more would be better.
    3. Storage of the PC. Go for SSD option if available.
    4. Graphics of PC. Dedicated Graphics will be much better than integrated.
    5. Ports availability.
    6. Display size and resolution.
    7. Manufacturer, etc