IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Which is your favourite musical instrument?

Discussion in 'Music' started by St.Kehovah, Jul 23, 2017.

1. St.Kehovah

St.Kehovah New Member

I love how a bass guitar sounds. I cannot explain why that instrument has me so smitten. The first time I saw and heard a bass guitar being played live, I immediately knew that I was meant to play that beast. What instrument makes you lose your head whenever you hear it?

2. Olufemi David Olatunji

Olufemi David Olatunji New Member

Actually, my favourite musical instrument is piano. This is, simply, because, with the invention of piano, a performer can play many notes simultaneously. Also, the performer has an instantaneous and an infinite control of those notes.
    Moreover, the performer can play a chord, or a melody or succession of notes with each individual note having its own level of loudness or softness.
    More importantly, the sound of a piano is bright, mellow, round, energetic, lively, vibrant and powerful.

3. MusicFlow

MusicFlow New Member

I'll have to say piano as I'm currently trying to master it. It feels like piano can produce sound of various instruments and it fits in every song. There are other instruments which are close to my heart such as guitar but piano takes the spotlight.

4. Olufemi David Olatunji

Olufemi David Olatunji New Member

The piano is considered a polyphonic instrument. That is, it produces multiple sounds at the same time. It is a keyboard instrument. It is also considered a percussion instrument because, when one presses the key, hammers strike the strings to produce sound. Thus, it is also considered a string instrument. Every one of these classifications is correct. The piano is truly an extraordinary instrument with several aspects that make it rather special.
    Moreover, one uniqueness of a piano is that it is actually used to teach harmony to students, an area known as keyboard harmony. This is the knowledge of chords and their progression.

5. lxst

lxst New Member

I agree. It is possible to play multiple melody lines on the piano (Bach's works come into mind), and the resulting harmony is wonderful. I personally love the range a piano has. Other instruments feel so limited compared to the piano.

But if we're talking about timbre, then my favourite would be violin hands down. The melancholy feel and the way its notes resonate is simply lovely.

6. LDhivine

LDhivine New Member

In high school I played the clarinet. The clarinet actually changed my life, I remember having a solo entitled " Opening of Jungle Book". As a child I watched The Jungle Book movie several times, so I knew exactly what the song is supposed to sound like. During band practice, the instructor asked me how I felt about playing a solo and how I felt about song and my response was "excited and honored".
    The connection that I gained from playing the clarinet and watching The Jungle Book at the same time was phenomenal. My family is musically talented, from singers, song-writers, and instrument players. The clarinet and I will be best friends forever.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  7. toomuchbottle

toomuchbottle New Member

I love playing the guitar because that instrument is easy to figure out. You don't need a teacher to learn how to play the guitar. You just need to have a guitar, a tuner, a guitar chord guide some songs to master as a beginner and your all set. I learned playing the basic of this instrument with those things, I may not be the best guitar player but I can play a song or two that I am sure.

8. Clarandal

Clarandal New Member

halloo, I love piano and Violin these are my favorite instruments, I like Piano because it seems elegant and easy to play even if I never got a chance to play one I think if I was given to chose among many music instruments I would choose a piano, As for a Violin I like the sound it gives, I would use it for my Yoga sessions to add some peaceful sound and make me more connected with myself.

9. rosey143

rosey143 New Member

If I have a lot of money and time in the world I would love to study and be able to play different kinds of instruments! I personally love the piano, flute and saxophone. I love the ukulele too and it's the only instrument I can play at the meantime.

Harp and Cello also come to mind. I love who these instruments are so big yet produces magnificent harmony and sound!

clement Omotunde likes this.
  10. clement Omotunde

clement Omotunde New Member

My favourite musical instrument is trumpet but sometimes I love the piano it gives me alots of inspirations towards composing a new song.I simply love good music.

11. clement Omotunde

clement Omotunde New Member

Rosey143, sometimes is not good being able to play many instruments but if you can understand the basics or simply being able to play piano/guitar as accompanying instruments and one othe solo instrument such as trumpey, saxophone etc better I am suggesting from my years of experience thanks you are cool.

12. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing New Member

I can see why everybody likes the piano. It's easy to learn and almost foolproof--anybody can pick out a tune or chords on a piano. It's also a respectable instrument for which lots of challenging classical music has been written, if you want to take it seriously. One thing not to love about a piano used to be the size, but now we can find all kinds of electronic keyboards, even mini-keyboards that fit into a large backpack.

The instrument I fell in love with as a teenager was the (hammer) dulcimer, a.k.a. "lumberjack's piano." It sounds more like a harp and was much promoted in the 1970s and 1980s by Malcolm Dalglish, John McCutcheon, Sam Rizzetta, Maggie Sansone and other delightful people. The fad passed, but I still enjoy listening to dulcimer music. I've never owned or played the instrument myself. I've merely been an instant fan of anybody who did play one.

13. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing New Member

I like listening to that woody sound, too, LDhivine. I'm glad some people are dedicated enough to the clarinet to learn to play it.

I wasn't. For one month when my parents were living far from our home, I had the opportunity to go to a Seventh-Day Adventist school. The S.D.A. used to be known for having a long list of "worldly amusements" kids weren't supposed to do, and not so well known for having a long list of "useful accomplishments" kids were supposed to do, instead. Everyone at that school had grown up with, among other things, no movies, no TV, no comic books, no card games, not even team sports. Instead they all had gardens, hiked and swam, went camping; boys tinkered with machines and carpentry, girls cooked and sewed; and everybody sang and played instruments--they started the six-year-olds on pennywhistles and expected everyone in grade five to be ready to perform in a marching band. I was, to put it charitably, not ready to march in a band. The teacher handed me a secondhand clarinet. AIDS did not yet exist and nobody was grossed out by the idea of passing a clarinet from mouth to mouth, except me. I liked the school and teacher and didn't want to seem ungrateful. I still felt disgusted. I think I got one actual note, other than the Dreaded Squeak, out of that thing before we moved back home, where I was issued a French horn...I didn't like the sound of it nearly so much, but at least the mouthpiece could be cleaned.

Now, of course, people are much more sensitive about these things and I'm sure no one ever tried to "help" you learn to play the clarinet by pre-soaking the reed in their own mouth...