IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Which programming language should I learn first?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Hova, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Hova

Hova New Member

The is a ton of programming languages for you to choose from. You have Python, C, C++, SQL, C#, Java, Swift and the list goes on forever. However, my point is not to overwhelm you with the number of languages that exist, but it is important for you to understand first of all why the languages might exist and second of all which language should you start off with first.
    My recommendation would be to start with the language Python. There is a reason why it is one of the top growing languages in the world. If you look at most of the top universities, they are actually making that their introduction language and the reason why they are doing that is because of how elegant and simple it is. What are your thoughts?

2. Lucita

Lucita New Member

I personally think you should choose a programming language based on your interest. If you are interested in web design then you should go for languages such as HTML, CSS , JavaScript, python, PHP just to mention but a few. Incase you are interested in database then learn standard query language (SQL ), if you like things related to android and creation of apps Java should be the language you learn. When all is said and done the bottom line is choose a field that you love passionately then learn more about the language associated with that field as oppossed to choosing a language simply because its paying a lot of money.

3. Jezreel

Jezreel New Member

There are a lots of Programming languages. Every week there are new languages have been developed. if you want to learn programming you should know what kind of programmer would you like to be. It could be Web Developer,Game Developer, Desktop Applications Developer, etc.

A lot of people prefer to learn first web development. because a lot of people and companies needs websites and that was the trend for now on. other than that reason web development program languages are easier to learn than other languages like C++ or Java. If you want to become a web developer you can start learning HTML,CSS and PHP. that was the basic in developing websites. you can download sample programs that can help you a lot in developing your skill. these three Languages can be a good start for you to learn when it comes to Web development.

4. j_bar_

j_bar_ New Member

I feel like web development programs like html give you a basic idea of programming by connecting it to websites we see on the infernet everyday. Then, we can move on to other more deeper programming languages like c++, java etc.

5. higming

higming New Member

I personally think Java is the best for programming because to me, it is the easiest. It isn't hard to learn like C++ and C#.

6. shaun08

shaun08 New Member

Hi. I'm just a beginner in programming, I have just signed up with freeCodeCamp and I am enjoying the program. I think a lot of the languages are connected in some way and that's the format you learn it at freeCodeCamp. It depends on what line of programming you want to do. I also recommend for beginners to study through SoloLearn, it's a great app if you are just starting out. Just one question for you more experienced programmers out there, what programming language pays well and is in high demand?

7. pixelex

pixelex New Member

I highly recommend python as a first programming language. Its simple, elegant, and has add-ons, such as Pygame, that make it one of the most versatile programming languages there is.

8. katalan1

katalan1 New Member

go and try python, simple syntax and friendly languages.
    It has many libraries and huge community.
    go and try it see if you like.