IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

White lies

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Vyck, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Vyck

Vyck New Member

When I was little I was told that all lies are bad, even white ones. So you can guess, I was a pretty honest (and dislikable) child. As I grew older, I realized the importance of concealing the truth, even a little bit, just so you don't end up offending someone. What do you think about this? Should we be brutally honest, or conceal the truth? Should we lie from time to time?

Shana Peckover likes this.
  2. Alaxror12

Alaxror12 New Member

That is a tricky question. You should always be honest with people and tell the truth. Obviously, that's the night thing to do. However, that rule begins to bend when something like children are involved. There is Santa Claus and the tooth fairy for instance. We tell children they exist because they are young, innocent and new to the world. As they get older they slowly learn the truth on their on or we flat out tell them. It really depends on the situation and who you are talking to.

3. Tiile23

Tiile23 New Member

The most important thing is to be wise. Truth or lies, just do what gets you through a situation and keeps you clear in the sight of God, yet harmless to your fellow human beings. According to the bible in Matt 10:13, We are to be wise as serpents but as harmless as doves.

Truths of this world are many some of which even contradict. So there is only one truth which is non-contradictory and one which is "Jesus Christ". The most important thing is to be wise in all situations.

Montcell likes this.
  4. DaranteLaMar

DaranteLaMar New Member

Our belief sometimes concerning our morality is often based off of the backdrop of our religious experiences. For those who have matriculated through the Abrahamic faiths, particularly Christianity, have grown up being reminded that all liars shall have their place in the lake of fire. But in the same set of scriptures, there is a story of a woman by the name of Rahab, who's name is only honored because of a lie she told to protect God's people. I am inclined to believe that all things have their purpose, and it should ultimately be the purpose of things that defines their goodness.

5. osolase

osolase New Member

Honesty is a precious gem and we should strive to be honest at all times. The golden rule tells us to treat others the way we want to be treated, this implies that if we don't want to be lied to we should avoid lying to others too.

We should in no way make any attempt to celebrate lying or make it less repulsive and contemptible by freely creating justifications for lying every now and then. Deception is the foundation of many of our societal woes today.

But must the truth be told at all times? No. Must the fullest details be passed across all the time? No. While we are supposed to be careful in not giving out wrong informations deliberately, it is also important to note that silence at times is golden. It is not every time the truth should be spoken, a most appropriate or opputuned moment might be waited for and it is also not neccesary to give all the details everytime or give it all at once. All these can be done without neccesary saying a lie. We are only responsible for what we say and not neccesary the assumptions other people make from our words.

Montcell likes this.
  6. Shana Peckover

Shana Peckover New Member

Oh, what a liar I have been. We should indeed be honest. However, I struggle in this area tremendously. Caring too much for others feelings and what they might think of me has destroyed many relationships and my dignity. These lies are an evil web that one is sure to get caught up in. Telling one lie to cover up the last lie, to cover up the lie before that...it's a vicious cycle and not an easy one to get out of.
    There is no justification for lying, it's simply better to face the consequences of whatever happens in life.

7. Montcell

Montcell New Member

True, I sometimes get like that, too. But like Osolase above stated, you don't necessarily need to tell everything you know because keeping things to yourself is not the same as lying. And for things where people specifically ask for information just tell you don't feel right telling them, or that it's not your story to tell. I told a friend that once when she wanted info on another friend and she got a look on her face because of it, but she let it go and accepted that there are some things you can't always tell.

It like you said lies can ruin relationships, just be careful.

8. Montcell

Montcell New Member

I used to think lies any kind of lie were the worst and that there is no need to lie to anyone. And plus I felt that I would want someone else to be just as honest with me as I was with them. For the most part, I still have the view, but I found that as I interacted with people some of them are so nosy that sometimes you are forced to lie to prevent yourself from being rude. Or that there have been situations where I was forced to lie for someone else, but as I find myself lying I start to get a bitter taste in my life, and I don't like it. So I try to find ways to say things and make people think I've told them everything they need to know.

Plus I can say my views on lying have loosened up a bit by meeting this one lady I know. She is a bonafide liar. Just looking at her and hearing her talk you would believe what she says because the facts for the most part add up and it makes sense. But if you was dig a little deeper it would just be lies lies lies. And she's so smooth about it that you don't realize she's lying until much much later. Even then you still want to believe in her truthfulness.

I happened to see her in action one day and it was like the lies flowed off her tongue like butter, the funny thing is that they were harmless at the time so I kept it to myself, but after seeing that I feel I have to run everything she says through a filter.

9. lxst

lxst New Member

We slip up and tell white liea all the time. When was the last time you were feeling down and automatically told your boss you were fine when asked, "How are you?"

A kid comes up to you and shows you a drawing of what she claims to be you. A very deformed version of you that doesn't even remotely resemble a human. She asks you eagerly, "It looks like you, doesn't it?"

You blink, then smile. "Well, perhaps you could make my head a bit smaller," and attach my arms to my shoulders, wherever they are, you think, "but other than that, yes. You did a great job!"

Of course, not all white lies are harmless. But those with good intentions behind them should be excused.

10. pwee

pwee New Member

White lies is still a lie. Believe me we all lie and you might not aware of it. I agree with Ixst. You lie because you consider others feelings. Its all about your intentions. Is it for the good of others or it is just to destroy them.

11. Rajeeta

Rajeeta New Member

It is true that 'Honesty is the best policy'. But there happens situations in our lives when it is better to conceal some truths or even tell some 'white(harmless?) lies' when the feelings of our loved ones are concerned.I admit that though I stick to telling the truth most of the times, I had to tell some 'white lies' once in a while.

12. JaiGuru

JaiGuru New Member

In matters of truth, context is always relevant. The degree of honesty one speaks with should be proportional to the consequent severity of speaking dishonestly. Of course, this does come from a position of moral relativism and is fraught with all the perils that philosophical school of thought implies! As for the question about the nature of truth, there was an interesting experiment done back in 2009, reported on by Popular Mechanics, in which self-programming AI taught themselves to lie for personal gain. Whether or not the implications of this extend beyond the AI into the realm of homo sapiens is debatable, but it is very curious.