IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

who taught you how to drive?

Discussion in 'Education' started by jomata, Jan 27, 2016.

1. jomata

jomata New Member

Did you go to a driving school or you did your driving instruction from home?
    I don't recall that anybody ever showing me how to drive, however I'm certain my father at some point taught me something about driving, I love driving on the road with him because he would he was really talented in driving. I grew up in a busy farm, Begun by driving tractors and was driving autos and trucks around the farm as soon as my legs could reach the pedals. When I finally got on the road at 18, I had been driving for a large portion of my life.

2. djwheel

djwheel New Member

My elder brother, who is 8 years older to me, learnt how to drive himself when he was just 13! Needless to say, there was tremendous pressure on me to learn it quickly. However, I chose to earn money at the age of 13 and become an entrepreneur(of sorts). So, even though I tried to learn how to drive at 13, I couldn't really learn well until I was 21. At which point I had been dumped by my then girlfriend because I refused to drive her around town. I never admitted to her that I couldn't drive :p Anyways, after that breakup, I went to a driving school and learnt how to drive.

3. april30rese

april30rese New Member

I did not go to a driving school but I hastily learned to drive because my dad taught me. It was the most difficult driving session ever because my dad was a stern teacher. We used a car with a stick shift so imagine the difficulty of balancing the clutch and the accelerator pedal. I almost always got thrown off the seat but I think it was the best lesson that I will never forget. Never underestimate the skill of driving, the tangible and intangible lessons that you can learn on and off the road. All my siblings studied in the driving school but I am the only one who ever learned because my dad made sure that by hook or by crook I will learn how to handle a simple machine.

4. Isleide

Isleide New Member

My mom taught me to drive at 12 years old. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer and wanted to make sure if there was ever an emergency I'd be able to take care of my her and my little sister. I remember driving around the empty outlet mall parking lot as I practiced and my younger sister watched. My mother passed, God rest her soul, and this is one of my fondest memories because the responsibility she gave me. She had such faith and trust in me. I love you mommy :( and miss with all my heart.

5. Rahul Taware

Rahul Taware New Member

There are two types of vehicles, Two wheeler and Four wheeler. When I was as young as 7 year old I learned a small bicycle. While growing up bicycle size was increasing. When Young I used to sit behind my dad on his scooter, I almost learned all the technical things of riding scooter just by watching him, at that time I was 10 year old. It was the time when I was very weak and could not ride scooter because I was too young to handle it. when I was 13 years old I first drove scooter. That's when I started driving Two wheeler.
    Many of my friends own four wheeler cars. I still can not say I can drive four wheeler while I tried to drive once when my friend was sitting besides me. I made a circular round to an empty ground. I need to learn motor driving.

6. herdaybiesie

herdaybiesie New Member

I learnt how to drive when I was very young through my elder brother. He always said "You possess determination and confidence which are the two basic requirements for driving" even though I was young, I had a lot of confidence and I think that's the reason why i learn driving quicker despite the fact that I'm still young.

7. Tony16

Tony16 New Member

I think mine is a pretty interesting case, a friend taught me how to drive, interestingly he wasn't a regular driver and with just a year experience in driving. I am a year older than him, he is very good at driving. When I bought my car he helped drove it home since I couldn't drive then. The following day we went to the field where I started learning how to drive' it was a manual car. He taught me how use the gear and the functions, and how to open the ignition. I learn't how to use the steering and clutch, the brake and how to change the gear when on motion. I learnt all that was necessary in driving from him.
    I think mine is a pretty interesting case, a friend taught me how to drive. It was kind of funny because he wasn't a regular driver and with just less than two years experience but he is a good and intelligent driver. I am a year older than him. When I bought my car he helped drove it home since I couldn't drive then. The following day we went to the field where I started learning how to drive, it was a manual car and it took me about a month to grasp the driving skills. He taught me how to use the gear and open the ignition. I learned the working of the steering and clutch, the brake and how to change the gear when on motion. In the process I made a lot of mistakes, like overspeeding and not using the indicator lights properly and not slowing down when descending a slope. Fortunately there was no accident through out the experience.

8. kamai

kamai New Member

My father taught me how to drive. I actually cried the first few hours but after a while, the fear subsides and you realize that crying is normal and common but not helpful at all. You need to toughen your gut and realize how important driving is far all situations. I actually learned in 20 total hours throughout several days. The best way I learned was when my father stopped worrying and seemed less calm which made me calmer. The freeway seemed the most intimidating at first but it's actually a smooth drive compared to the busy streets. I would suggest a smaller car for the first time.

9. Espi

Espi New Member

Believe it or not, but I learned how to drive from playing GTA San Andreas. I really did, I drove my car on the road, and in the lanes, I learned how to park a car, etc.

I know that one can say "How could you possibly compare real life to a video game", and that's true for the most part, but I had no one teach me, the first time I got my car, the dealership required no license, no insurance, all they wanted was the money. I went in with a down payment, and the man told me to test drive the car, he gave me the keys and I went drove alone. I had no experience behind the wheel, but I knew it wasn't going to be hard. I just told myself to remember GTA San Andreas, and I also read the traffic hand book.

I did not do bad at all, I kept the car in the lanes, I made wide turns (rather do that than short turns and run over the curve). After I signed the papers, I went to a large empty parking lot and practiced parking, backing up, parallel parking, etc and I never had problems since. Although I don't recommend the average person take that route.

10. BoWaddy

BoWaddy New Member

Man Espi, You really made a funny post and I love it. GTA San Andreas is really a game that anyone can learn how to drive from. I loved driving in it though I didn't learn driving from there. I know this is really not a game post but I would like to say that that game is both a viable action game and driving game with many express roads and I strongly recommend that anyone who loves driving or wants to learn how to drive should be familiar with that game because it would give them much experience. Yeah!

11. BoWaddy

BoWaddy New Member

Very nice question! This reminds me of my loving Daddy. I have been driving for the past 6 years. I was taught how to drive by my Dad and he was very amazing and he taught me a lot on how to obey road traffic rules. Some of the things he taught me were to always follow the right side of the road when driving and that the drivers on the left side of the road have the right to go first in T-Junctions. He is no more but every time that I put my foot in my car's throttle, a word of caution comes like a whisper from him to me saying "Caution and Easy".

12. zoeann06

zoeann06 New Member

I had my mother teach me how to drive when I turned 15. I legally had to receive my drivers permit before I was allowed to begin driving. I got the hang of driving fairly quickly, the only major trouble was learning how to parallel park. She continued to tell me that I was in the appropriate amount of space from the curb, but when I went to take my drivers test on my 16th birthday, I failed because of parallel parking.

13. Shammy

Shammy New Member

I'm just learning to drive actually, even though it's a little late. I've only drove with my father so far and I'm supposed to start driving school next week, that should be nerve wrecking to say the least. I'm doing fine in the polygon (the place where unlicensed drivers learn) so far but I'm sure driving on the streets is going to be on another level, not only do you have to focus on your driving but you also have to focus on the signs and the cars around you, arrgh I'm getting anxiety just by typing this.
    I guess I'll gain confidence once I'm going to go in the traffic, for now I just have to suck it up and start my driving lessons. Turning and upshifting/downshifting seems quite complicated to me in some situations, but surprisingly I have no issues with parallel or back parking. I do well at low speeds.

14. abonnen

abonnen New Member

My mother and father taught me to drive first when I was 13 or 14 years of age. The next year I took drivers education during the summer through the high school which was the summer after my 8th grade year in school. I am not a big fan of driving and wish I had more experience and convinced while driving but that is not due to my education on driving that is due to a character flaw of mine.

15. Shane5140

Shane5140 New Member

My father taught me how to drive. I remember vividly as if it occurred yesterday. My father is a very impatient man so the learning process was difficult on my behalf. I particularly had trouble learning to parallel park. My father yelled and screamed through all of our sessions. I never knew learning to drive was so difficult! Ultimately, I learned to drive but that is an experience I will never forget.

16. xzreplays

xzreplays New Member

I have had lessons from a driving teacher who has taught me everything in few months. At first I thought it was going to be really tough since there is so much to learn since I was learning manual however after having few lessons I realise it wasn't so bad. I have passed my test earlier this year which in was very happy about.

17. bella556

bella556 Member

My father taught me how to drive within the first try when I was a teenager. Later I learned after my father passed away while getting my license.
    I was twenty one when I finally got it. I did not grow up on a farm but in the city where it was more I think maybe me scaring my father when I hit the brakes on the car too quickly.

18. Hilary

Hilary New Member

Both of my parents taught me how to drive. I learned a lot from both of them in different ways. I also learned from my friends who were older than I was. The best teacher though is yourself, you just have to get out there and practice.

19. trenee

trenee New Member

The very first time I got behind the wheel, my mom was in the car with me and she decided that after two hours of clutching her chest, she had enough. Later that week, my dad decided to take a stab at it. He wanted me to learn how to drive in his truck, including teaching me how to parallel park. His rationale was that if I could learn to parallel park a truck, I could drive anything. He was right. I am now the best driver in my family.

20. kokimboka

kokimboka New Member

I went to a driving school at 18 years of age, that is the legal age you can be allowed to drive and get a licence in our country. My dad is actually the one who suggested I take driving lessons. After successfully finishing the course and getting my Driving License I was ready to hit the road. I had a bad experience, when reversing the car ,which was my Dads, i hit a tree and the car was badly damaged. That was the last time i drove a car. I actually enrolled for a refresher course recently, that is ten years later after that incident. Guys,I really need encouragement.