IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Why does everyone feel like their religion is the "right" religion?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Mudrijedan, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mudrijedan

Mudrijedan New Member

Every now and then, the topic of religion pops up into a conversation. Some families consist of Catholic, Christian, and Islamic religion. As we all know, that can sometimes be a very sensitive topic to touch on. Though, while the topic is being discussed I happen to notice that, people from different religions always seem to say that their religion is the "right" religion. Why is that?

2. Jaymugoz

Jaymugoz New Member

Every child believes that the strongest people on earth is his or her mum and dad. So with that, a child tends to copy what his or her parents are doing and they get incorporated into their religion and they grow old bearing in their minds that the perfect religion is that of their parents.

3. Sophia

Sophia New Member

This is a common belief system among all religions of the world. Some even go as far as killing and maiming those who don't share their beliefs.

I think it all boils down to the foundation. Many young people are many to believe that any other religion apart from their own religion is condemned. The earlier we changes this opinion the better the world will be.

Mudrijedan and Jaymugoz like this.
  4. Louise du Plessis

Louise du Plessis New Member

I think that religion is a difficult topic, not only because opinions differ from culture to culture but because it is human nature to believe that what we believe is true. Here is one thing to think about though.
    Divinity comes from one source, no matter its name or form of worship. God is one with many names and faces across the many periods of human history.

Mudrijedan likes this.
  5. Jerick Gwapo

Jerick Gwapo New Member

It is because of the influence of the environment we live in. It is because of the nature the child grew up in. A child will learn what will his/her parents tell him. A child will believe what the community is doing and will adapt it as his/her own.

If we are talking about religion, this involves faith and the more you learn from it then the more you faith grows in. Our own faith drives us to believe that what we believe in is the right one. I am a Christian and I believe I am wright. Our Muslim brothers do believe that their religion is the right one also. Buddhists does the same because of what we so call as our own "faith".

Its just a matter of faith as they say, that the thing we do is what we think is right.

Mudrijedan likes this.
  6. Louise du Plessis

Louise du Plessis New Member

Hi there Jerick

Speaking of what a child learns from their parents and the community they grow up in, these views can change within the childs mind as they grow older. No one will stay the same unless they cannot think out of the box. Many communities do not like those who think outside the box, and it is my opinion that this is the reason for war and hatred among different religious groups.

I do not wish to offend anyone here, but it is my experience that most religions like to control the masses. What they say is law, and anyone going against that law is an outcast. What do some of the other people on this thread think about that statement? Is religion just a tool to control the population? Are there very few people who actually believe in the words that their books or scriptures say? or are they just paying lip service to a deity?

Mudrijedan likes this.
  7. Kimika

Kimika New Member

I think that the reason why a person believes that his/her religion is the "right" one and the only "truth" is simply because he/she has faith in it. We believe in almost everything that our religion tells us and since we're talking about faith, it's a very sensitive case that people usually get into debates just to prove which one is right and which is wrong. We are all born different and we surely have different beliefs and I respect that. I have friends with different religions and whenever we hang out, we never talk about them to prevent debates and possible misunderstandings.

Mudrijedan likes this.
  8. SunnyLove

SunnyLove New Member

I think it is something normal.

However, when we grow and become more exposed and enlightened, we should begin looking more deeply into things and not just settle for what we are being told alone.

Then make the personal decision if your religion is a right now or not.

9. Rajasilan

Rajasilan New Member

In my perspective, everyone's life in this world was given by God.

If you are born as a Christian, God wanted you to be a Christian. Why would God want you to change your religion when he already decided you would be a Christian?

The same is applicable for all religions. For example, if you are born in China, God wanted you to be from China. Not everyone would think they are supposed to be from USA and find ways to change their citizenship. They grew up in China since they were babies and are used to their environment/life.

Therefore, most people would think their religion is the right one and there is absolutely no wrong in that. God brought us to this world to live and lead a good life. In the end, all that matters is the amount of good you have done for others. You could be from any religion and commit a mistake, the punishment or sin will always the same.

10. Youngfifty67

Youngfifty67 New Member

Statistically, most people believe in the religion they were born in, because most children are following their parents' beliefs. Some people though tend to believe in a certain religion if they get help or passionate support from an individual and in turn feel like that religion has clean hearted and special individuals.

Another way people are rooted deep into a certain religion, is by researching all religions in depth and comparing the evidence with the past history that took place in this world. (e.g., Noah's Ark) It is indicated that remains of Noah's ark were found in some region in Turkey

11. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSide New Member

Cause you are not allowed to think otherwise. Besides, will it make you feel any better if you criticize your own religion? Of course not, it's a shameful thing to do. Cause we all worship the same being, when we say bad thing to a certain institution or religion, we are actually sinning against the real reason behind it all. And that is the worship of a divine being, the all powerful creator.

No religion had actually given a strong arguments to whether they are the true and chosen religion. So until the right time is reveal for which is truly divine and holy, it is only proper to not criticize one over the other.

Youngfifty67 likes this.
  12. chrispohmomanyi

chrispohmomanyi New Member

I think, that thinking men have stopped thinking! If men were to sit down, reason candidly of this religion out of the books they claim inspired, I think all of them will be one as Christ said. But who will agree to loose his opinion?

As a matter of fact, the truth is one. And if men will give their hearts to seeking for this truth, then they will all be set free. john 8:32

13. plenc

plenc Member

Because,you happened to like it at first of course you will always defend it and give it every reason to be right

14. Geofrey Byekwaso

Geofrey Byekwaso New Member

People like to believe that their religion is the right one because they're not listening to Jesus. If you do listen to him well, you'll find that religion, be it Christianity or Islam, will be the first thing you need to run away from.

15. Geofrey Byekwaso

Religion isn't difficult to understand. Let me define it for you. Religion are the God - beliefs people have that have no basis in the words of Jesus. I don't believe in Christianity because it has many of such beliefs that have no basis in the sayings of Jesus.

I know different cultures have different beliefs about who God is, but if you're not listening to only Jesus, you're lost in culture. He's the only one who ever rose from the dead to prove that whatever he said was true. Buddha, Mohammad, krishna, the popes, the pastors and all other religious leaders, are all a waste of your time.

16. Geofrey Byekwaso

I agree. There's only one Light and that's Jesus.
    Religion was there before he came, and when he left, it came in his name through Paul the self - proclaimed apostle and then to the rest in history.