IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Your first cell phone

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Vyck, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Vyck

Vyck New Member

I got a nokia 5165 at age 10 (pretty young, since this was 15 years ago). It was the most useless birthday gift ever, since none of my friends had one and I didn't know anything about cell phones back then. It only had the snake game, and that was pretty much it. I started using it when I was 14, which is a more appropriate age to use a cell phone. So, when did you get yours? Did you start using it right away, or was it difficult for you to get used to it?
    [​IMG]
    Ancient ruins

nosleep3134 likes this.
  2. ReddOnMyHead

ReddOnMyHead New Member

I was very lucky to grow up in the era that didn't have cell phones at a young age, and even my early teenage years. Cell phones became popular when I was about 16 years old. I got a cell phone for Christmas that year. Although I do no recall what the brand name of the phone was (back before the popular Nokia's came out, you had to buy whatever cell phone brand was available at the time of purchase). My phone was a black phone, about 4 inches wide, 7 inches long, had a long antenna that pulled out from the top, and the mouth piece that you talked into folded out and down from the bottom of the phone. The back light was a terrible dark green color, and it was strictly for calls, there was no games or any special features. The service was terrible, and you paid for your usage by the minute. I have to say we are very lucky in this day and age to be able to have all the choices in cell phone providers.

3. Merissa

Merissa New Member

My first cellphone was a Motorola flip phone. I had it to contact my parents basically as I was younger. It took nice photos and I had liked that it was a flip phone, I just liked that feature. The buttons were big enough to dial phone numbers and it had cool games on it, it was a pretty decent phone at that time too, with all that it came with. I can't remember what version it was but it was black and had the symbol M on it.

4. Shaguftaa

Shaguftaa New Member

My first cell phone was a Micromax. I got it when I finished secondary school and stepped into high school. It was a tiny phone with a small touchscreen which was very bad. It was not a smart phone, but it looked cute and I could make calls and send messages, etc. Back then, it was my everything - my alarm clock, my SMS machine, my calendar, my camera, my radio and my I-pod. I used it for about a year or so and then I had to throw it away as the battery had swollen up and the phone wasn't working as well as it should have. But, I posted a status about it on Facebook and bade it goodbye.

5. neville

neville New Member

It might seem odd but i got my first phone about 6 years ago, it was a Samsung Star 2, and if i'm not mistaken, i bought it for 100 $ which is not that cheap at the time, the phone was kind of small, the camera was a bit blurry but surprisingly the touch screen was responsive and fluid which made the experience a little bit enjoyable.

6. plenc

plenc Member

One with the long antenna, and very heavy basically the first phones where Motorola, It could really piss me off when i was not able to connect to the internet,because i couldn't.

7. nosleep3134

nosleep3134 Member

I forget when i got my first cellular,but the brand i was giving doubtfully but happily gotten, with only the need of use bein an emergency. would happen to be one of the now sort of under rated and I say "sort of because this phone company gets it fair share of the monies" would be a virgin mobile kyocera popular with younger generations back then its overpriced rates of $0.25 /minute left me with about 600 text and 300 minutes.
    you could only imagine how quickly they were depleted by lets say "pre-teen a little late", but still a kid and i loved every minute.

8. vashk

vashk New Member

My first phone ever was a Nokia C3. it was the best gift that was ever bought for me. It came with this protective pink casing that had the Powerpuff girls drawn on it and I just couldn't keep my hands off it. The phone introduced me to yahoo and facebook. Though a sad thief stole it from me while on the road, I will never forget the phone as it was my best phone ever.

9. Bigplay44

Bigplay44 New Member

My first cell phone was a Straight Talk that i bought as my main internet device in 2014, i had a good unlimited data plan and i did everything on that phone. I miss that phone is been thrown away since i moved, i have very fond memories of that old phone that i would still use today if i had it.

10. braveyard

braveyard New Member

I think your phone should be Motorola, I can remember using the phone. It has terrible features which I always smile remembering I used such kind of phone before.

Well the first one I used before that was a Motorola flip phone that was basically a budget version of the Razr, I cant really remember the exact model number, I used to to pick phone cases based on aesthetic appeal, but I drop my phone so often that I need the strongest case i can afford, even if I don't like how it looks. Its pretty annoying that modern smartphones are so much fragile than it their predecessors, even though smartphones can do a lot more.

Braveyard :rolleyes: _ The good guy......:D

11. javiondunn

javiondunn New Member

i think my first phone was in the year 2001, i got a sony ericson but i really cant remember the name. However this is what i cannot forget! my second phone, thats the Nokia 3310. Fantastic phone i tell you!!!! the games are still the boss... snake and space impact... i would play these games for hours.

12. Rasheed1958

Rasheed1958 New Member

My first ever cell phone was a motorola phone.It was a very decent and purchaseable mobile at that time.When it had come to market, it attracted more people towards it.It was such a very nice and reliable phone to use.It has some unique catchy features and specifications in it.I forgot the model number of that phone but it was very easy to use.It was a pretty decent phone with some cool games at that time.

13. maxwell123

maxwell123 New Member

I believe I got my first phone was in the year 2010. Believe me or not until now I still have it and it's still actually works.

14. gtdoss

gtdoss New Member

My first cell phone was a Motorola, which I received at the tender age of 42. Obviously there were no such things as mobile phones when I was growing up. Frankly, if someone would have told me we would someday have such gadgets, it would have sounded like science fiction! Cell phones had been around for a few years by the time I ever purchased one, and I kept it in my car (charging) and only used it for emergencies.

I've now had my smartphone for about a month or so, and I'm a little bit addicted to it. I actually take it out of my car when I go into the house and listen eagerly for the ping that tells me there's a notification of some kind. I mostly use it (other than for talking) for the grocery money savings apps that I downloaded. ;)

15. DrEdu

DrEdu New Member

I bought my first phone when Nokia was the most popular and Symbian was the only operating systems I knew used in a phone. My phone was the Nokia 8 bought after one and half years of saving. I am of the opinion that it was one of the solid phones manufactured by Nokia then. Now that Nokia is reviving the 3310 they should consider bringing this back.

16. jkmquitasol

jkmquitasol New Member

My first cellphone is a Nokia 3310. I got it from my mother and when she handed it to me, it had a bloated battery so I have to buy a new battery. I used it just for texting and games like Space Impact and Snake. But after a few days of use, it had a bloated battery again. Later I found out that the one I bought was a fake battery, so I bought an original one and it is so expensive. Every time I use the phone, its battery life is decreasing, so I have to make sure that I always have a charger with me. But overall it was a great phone, lots of memories from it since it is my first phone.

17. Joanncali

Joanncali New Member

My first cellphone was Nokia 3210. I was on my college when I had that cellphone. It was heavy on the palm and with the basic alphanumeric keypad. It was not a big deal that time because there was no smart phone yet. The game that I played on that phone was snake. I personalize my Nokia 3210 with accessories like glitter phone case and lighting keypad. It was just a simple cellphone for call and text message.

18. babumarka

babumarka New Member

My first mobile phone was Sony Xperia X3. An experience worth forgetting. Within 3 months it would get extremely hot and start lagging. Since it was under warranty, i returned it back and got a new X3. Same thing happened to the new one as well and then Sony gave me another X3, similar issues. Then i found out that Sony released X3 when it wasn’t ready to be released. They gave me Xperia mini and that too didn’t work for more than 5 months and i switched to iPhone 4. Now i’ve iPhone 6 and i don’t ever want to switch to android.

19. jeon04

jeon04 New Member

Nokia 5110! Haha this is classic lol. This brings me memory of what I am doing just to operate it. It's secondhand from my mother. And there are issues when it is handed over to me. Especially its battery. The display is blinking even at 20 percent battery. And I'll need to insert a piece of paper in the back just to turn it on.

20. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 New Member

I can still remember it clearly, It was the mid 90's and I was working as a sales personnel in a telecom's company that was selling pagers or beepers which was the "in" thing during those days. On one of our sales rally's it was announced by our CEO that we would be selling Cellular Mobile Phones in the coming months and that to effectively promote it, each employee can avail of one half priced. I took that opportunity and got my first mobile phone.

My first ever Mobile Phone was a Panasonic EBH10 phone, it's color gray and has a retractable antenna. It's Analog so it doesn't have a sim card and it's not SMS capable yet, it can be use only to make and receive calls. This phone has a 30 minute talk time and a stand by time of about a day. It has a very long charging time of 6-8 hours before it could be fully charged.

Mobile Cellular Phones was a new technology back then and everyone wants to have one. I was fortunate enough to be one of the lucky few who experienced it first.