1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

Complete system revamp for improved content quality?

Discussion in 'The Forum Wheel' started by KenBrace, Oct 3, 2016.

1. GearZ

GearZ Well-Known Member Moderator

The Skype part of it may be a show stopper for some; either due to technology, time zone differences, scheduling, etc. I know that while I would have no problem with a Skype interview for a regular job, I wouldn't likely schedule the time for a lower-paying content side gig. Just a candid reaction. And if the goal is primarily to verify ID, there are other methods that could be employed.

Beyond that, getting serious about quality is moving in the right direction. Most of the bullet points in the OP make sense in furtherance of that goal.

thisnthat likes this.
  2. AJ113

AJ113 Member

You're focusing on the wrong aspect in my opinion. Interviewing on Skype and taking other measures is all very well, but it doesn't tackle the actual problem itself, which is poor content. Writers need to post on topic, using the correct terminology. This should be made clear to them every step of the way, so that they can left in doubt as to what is required. If they don't do this, then they are banned.

To post on topic they just need to visit popular forums in the niche. There they can learn a bit about the niche, and they can simply select some popular posts and rewrite them. It's not difficult - quite the reverse.

3. kingcool52

kingcool52 Well-Known Member

What I've noticed is that there are some blatant posts where you just know the person has no idea what their talking about in regard to the original post and it's like in an essay where you're just adding absolute crap to increase the word count. I noticed one person wrote christmas three times in one single sentence. That;s the biggest thing that needs to be fixed.

Maybe I'm doing it as well but not noticing.

4. AJ113

AJ113 Member

That's the kind of thing I mean. Posts need to be short, sweet and on topic - not full of nonesense. I mean, you don't see that in a real forum post. Sure there are lots of spelling and grammer errrors in a real post and many obvious non-native English speakers, but th say something, not post for posting's sake.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. kingcool52

kingcool52 Well-Known Member

I think the easiest solution is to revamp the rating system or to bring another rating but this would be done by ForumWheel. Get some moderators and get them to go through the posts, any posts that seem to be full of errors or make no sense should decrease a persons rating. Go below a certain rating and you will either make no money for a set number of posts or you get a temp ban

6. AJ113

AJ113 Member

To be honest the garbage posts are relatively easy to deal with - a ban usually. It's the posts where the poster is clearly trying, but does not include enough substance in the posts to be convincing enough. Willing posters like this could make the right sort of posts with a little guidance and encouragement.

Kaynil and to7update like this.
  7. to7update

to7update Well-Known Member

I always appreciate the guidance from forum owners because that allows me to be a better writer and to deliver the content forum owners are paying for. It's exactly like you say @AJ113, sometimes we might not know about a topic, but checking out a forum or another source allows us to learn.

Jason76 likes this.
  8. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

Some of these guys need lower ratings, but I'm kind of "too nice" to do anything. At least a few posts need to show some real effort and sometimes posts totally show they don't have a clue about the thread topic. On the second matter, I see only one of my posters doing that.

9. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

Once the new rating system is in place, it will be much easier to provide accurate ratings that cover each aspect of posting. That way it's not so subjective and vague.

to7update likes this.
  10. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Will our current ratings received by owners be completely nullified?

11. Flyer

Flyer Active Member

I'll be honest, Skype would be a problem for me. Outside the US Skype doesn't have quite the same adoption yet, and not everyone has it.

One thing you could consider is a system used on a couple of sites I am on. Experienced users who have been around and have a good rating are allowed to peer-review reported content. If enough agree there is a problem, the user is suspended and the site owners informed so they can take further action. If you formed a panel of experienced users, and gave a couple of them a new user's signin name for a forum (not account name on here to avoid conflicts), they could follow the posts and flag any problems early, or just give a private board here to them and forum owners and let the owners flag it there.

12. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

I am no longer considering Skype as a feasible option. It's too much effort for both parties.

With the new rating setup, I think it'll be much easier to keep the system accurate. Not only will ratings be better but I will also be keeping a hawk eye on ratings provided. If someone abuses the system then they will be banned from using it. That way we won't have forum owners who give unjust 5.0s or 1.0s.

Kaynil and Happyflowerlady like this.
  13. Jason76

14. to7update

I actually liked the previous system, but to write even more I think the pay should be higher. It might also depend on the country the writer is in though.

15. Alex

Alex Member

The thing is, for people to go the 'extra mile' they should want to do this and not feel obliged to. I already go the 'extra mile' on a couple of forums as in I will post when it's offline or answer posts that no one else has looked at, and start more new threads when it's looking quiet.

Some may not think this is going the extra mile, but consider the exchange? The owner gets posts, interaction and traffic on their site for $0.10. Remember people are supposed to pay tax on any earnings too.

thisnthat likes this.
  16. to7update

@Alex, are you a forum owner or a writer?

I always try to be professional when writing, what does want has to do with it? I wanted to be a professional tennis player lol. :)

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

There are a lot of posters that care about what they do, I'm sure we can all name names and we see them around on most of the forums, but there are ones that are just here to earn as much as they can, cash out, try to cheat the system if they can and then move on. While it's true that nobody is made to come on here and post on the forums, it's up to them and if you don't like the rules then don't post and from a forum owners point of view it's as simple as that.

From a writers point of view though, I think what we don't want to see is the goal posts being moved after we sign up to the forum. If the changes are necessary and justified then I'm sure we can accept that, but I was posting on a forum (which disappeared long ago) and after making 200+ posts, all of a sudden if I didn't write at least 50 words per post, start 3 new threads a day and upload images then I would be banned and receive a negative rating. I explained that I wouldn't be posting there any more because it wasn't worth my time, thanked them for the opportunity so far and that was that. I then received a negative rating, told my posts weren't acceptable and then banned.

I appreciate that forum owners want to get value for money, and having been a forum owner myself in the past I can understand that they will always push for more and not have to pay any extra, but there needs to be a limit. I've written blog posts and articles for a number of years and the lowest prices are $1 for 100 words. What we are being paid on here is well below that figure, but we all know that's the nature of the beast and you'll never get them rates posting on forums as opposed to writing articles, but forum owners need to also realise that from the good posters, those that have been on here from the start and those that have made thousands of posts already, they're actually getting a good deal. If they feel like they aren't then speak to the writers involved. Those that reply and interact with the owners are usually the ones that care about what they do. If they get abusive messages back then obviously that poster shouldn't be on their site (and this one maybe) anyway.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

The above post by the way is 420 words long and as a grammar and readability level of 12. Text to be read by the general public should be at around level 8 so it's roughly around what forum owners should be expecting on that scale, not length wise obviously.

to7update likes this.
  19. to7update

Very well said. I think what I post is a fair value for what I earn. To post more an increase of value per post should happen. Let's say my posts average 50-100 characters, if I need to make them longer it's simply not worth my time. I'll be 10 minutes to earn 10 cents?

20. Jason76

People going the extra mile according to one forum owner on here (Anxiety Forums) involves a lot more writing. That was what one of his 5.0 writers was doing. But again, the other writers have good justification in saying the extra work isn't worth the time.

However, shadowpope may have been right in saying a few posts he got might have been lame or off-topic.