1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

Option to disable new registrations

Discussion in 'Forum Owners' started by Mantis, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

I can't find this, only the option to disable TFW entirely. I think it's something you should really consider adding. For a lot of smaller forum admins I imagine there comes a point where the daily amount of new posts and threads is very ideal and things can continue fine as they are without the need for new registrations. Also, when numerous people are writing the exact same amount of posts daily in a small space of time it makes it more obvious that you're hiring posters.

The ability to disable registrations would be nice since it would make admins more open to increasing a maximum daily post count on the basis that the current paid posters will write quality content, whereas a new member might not.

2. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

Thank you for the suggestion @Mantis! Honestly, this shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I will look into adding this soon.

Mantis likes this.
  3. Happyflowerlady

Happyflowerlady Well-Known Member Moderator

I think that if you just set the rating requirement up to a 5, you would basically keep all new posters out of the forum, and then if you wanted some new posters, you can just lower it down for a little while again.

KenBrace likes this.
  4. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

That's a nice idea. In the past I wasn't sure if changing that would block all registered posters (with a lower rating) from earning credits, so this is good to know. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Kaynil and Happyflowerlady like this.
  5. KenBrace

This feature is now available...

https://theforumwheel.com/community/threads/disabling-new-subscriptions-is-now-available.649/

Mantis likes this.
  6. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Great work! :)

KenBrace likes this.
  7. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member

So, are posters made aware of this then, or are we wasting our time trying to sign up for sites that have new registrations blocked?

8. KenBrace

You won't be able to subscribe if the site has that option disabled. There will be an inactive icon where the green plus usually is.

thisnthat likes this.
  9. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

On a side-note, does banning on the dashboard have nothing to do with banning on the forum itself? I banned a user some time ago (I can't remember why though I don't do this often) but he was able to post again a few days ago. I just assumed the plugin would connect and ban posting. Maybe I missed this, but if not I think you should make it clearer to forum owners if they also need to ban/delete the account on the forum itself. Unfortunately, banning/deleting doesn't always look good for the forum if there doesn't appear to be a very good reason for doing so. Most importantly I have no idea why the person wanted to post again if he wasn't paid a cent for it. (Which I hope is the case as he is clearly banned in my dashboard.)

10. Happyflowerlady

Happyflowerlady Well-Known Member Moderator

When you revoke a poster, it is different than banning them. Possibly, you might have to do both if this poster is being a problem on your forum, @Mantis .
    Revoking a poster cuts the subscription to your forum that the poster has with TFW. It does not stop them from being a member of the forum, or from posting on it; it only stops them from earning points when they post. If you have also deleted their unwanted posts before you revoke them; then they lose the points that they earned for those posts, and you get the points back in your account.
    If the poster is still posting in your forum after they were revoked, and you do not want them to be able to do that, then you have to actually ban them from the forum just like you would do with a troll, or any other unwanted forum member.
    Most of the time, any poster who loses points, and is not going to earn points for posting on your forum, is not likely to come back and post again; so this should not be an issue very often.

KenBrace and Mantis like this.
  11. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

Happyflowerlady likes this.