1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

Need More Forums

Discussion in 'Forum Owners' started by Jason76, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a complainer, but this site and Postloop as well are not getting business as in the past. What could be the problem?

bomb2060 likes this.
  2. kingcool52

kingcool52 Well-Known Member

PostLoop has been good for me. The forums over here have definitely been going down though which is sad

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Lack of clients is a usual business problem. Maybe the arketing department should work double time.

4. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Forums just aren't popular anymore. It's a bit of a catch-22 really; forums need people to gain momentum and thus sustainable activity, but the people want to see that momentum to have more motivation for participation. The forums that are active nowadays are usually the forums that were active five or ten years ago. Now that sites like Facebook have an even stronger grip on online discussion new forum owners have to work far harder to thrive. That's why the majority of sites here and on Postloop aren't particularly popular ones. That's how monopolies work.

Kieranlewix and bomb2060 like this.
  5. gracej25

gracej25 New Member

Home Page:
    https://uberlyftchat.com/forum
    I think Facebook is the new medium...but I can’t make ad revenue (not that I really make anything) off Facebook. I have all threads autopost to my page on facebook and I get better content there for free...

6. DigitalGlobal

DigitalGlobal Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    https://digitalglobal.com
    well, my little @Mantis bug friend, forums fail for various reasons, and not always related to Facebook, and Facebook is good if you want to update your job loss status or doggie photos too your friends, not only that, Facebook vs forums have cons and pros. You do not own Facebook, however, with your forum, then you have more flexible options. Is Facebook SEO friendly, not really, most social networks these days do nothing for SEO, and Facebook is purely driven by social activity, now, can you really justify on having a forum, and maybe why it failed or never got off the ground?

There are some very super active forums that are alive and well today, so, why did Facebook not kill those forums? Maybe Facebook is not the problem, maybe the problem is going with the wrong niche, then the inability to make the forum a success because the owner was in a bad niche, did not have the money, still using the default theme, does not know anything about marketing or search engine optimization, and the list can go on.

I have also been witness to a forum that had over 500,000 posts fail, dead as a proverbial zombie, Facebook must have killed that once ever so popular forum, right? Nope, the forum died because of member abuse, bad moderator leadership, and bad leadership from the top, and if you combine all this together, they all killed a once popular forum, stone dead. Since we are passing blame, then I guess eBay and Walmart are responsible for killing retail stores?

Most famous tagline ever!

Adapt or Die!

If you do not know how to adapt, you will die.

Even if you setup a niche site today, then it may take you 2-3 years to get it off the ground, and I would not run a forum unless I thought a forum would work with that niche; Running a standalone forum has never been a really good business plan to begin with ie: Adsense, General, Games, etc..

peace!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    KenBrace likes this.
  7. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Hello, my salad-head manlet buddy. You're writing that from a business-oriented perspective. Not everybody builds communities with just financial gain in mind. In fact, some create forums without making a single dime because it's something they enjoy doing. (That would include me.) Success is relative. One hundred posts in a day could be seen as barely reasonable to a big board owner. Twenty could be great to an admin of a smaller forum. Yes, there are popular forums today. Rather than a large number of forums that cater to an interest for everybody like in the early-mid 2000s, nowadays the vast majority of users hover around forums where a large number of interests have been consolidated into one site. I suppose that's a bit like Facebook.

The problem with this for aspiring niche forum owners is that it can be very intimidating, thus decreasing the amount of niche sites and also making the initial forum period much more difficult. And the problem I have with gargantuan boards is that the community spirit just isn't there. There are so many members it becomes difficult to form friendships on the forum itself. Rather than becoming friendly with a small community of people, I often see those on big boards treat it like a pissing contest and equate post counts to their worth. Like having a handful of good friends versus a crowd of acquaintances, I'm perfectly happy having a small board and nothing more. Just getting to that point can be a challenge.

So there's my perspective as somebody who has zero interest in making a return and hasn't even run advertisements before. I do it for fun. You and I want different things, so our opinions will be completely different. By the way, there's no such thing as a wrong niche. If you're building a forum driven by your passion for a niche and not what you can get out of it, this is irrelevant.