1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

To those who think using multiple accounts is a good idea...

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Mantis, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Today I found out a poster was using two accounts on my forum and on The Forum Wheel. This isn't the first time this has happened, but in this instance I discovered that Hova and Maestro are the same person.

It's actually not that hard for admins to identify this. Some people think it's a smart idea to just double up and exploit the system. It sucks for him that he isn't such a maestro at basic networking. Both of his accounts are now banned. I would hope that if Ken wants to discourage these behaviours he'll do the same on this main site.

After managing forums for dozens of years you start to notice the behaviours different posters often exhibit. Even if somebody manages to circumvent it, it often isn't so hard to put two and two together.

However, posters who do wish to cheat the system often use a browser called Opera Mini. If you're a site owner and you notice this it's understandable if you thought that the poster might just be using your forum on a phone. Do not be fooled. Posters sometimes use this as a free VPN to manage multiple accounts and thus earn more money. It isn't foolproof though.

Nonetheless, as a safeguard I recommend that all site owners block the browser. It isn't that hard to do with some PHP, and the browser simply won't be able to access your forum anymore. Not many people use Opera Mini so I think it's a good trade-off. Those who are just using it without ulterior motives will just have to use a different browser.

The Forum Wheel's a nice place. Is it worth breaking the terms of service for some extra credits? You'll probably be found out sooner or later and you might lose the extra credits anyway.

Don't be stupid.

Kaynil and Heatman like this.
  2. Happyflowerlady

Happyflowerlady Well-Known Member Moderator

Forum Wheel does not allow people to have more than one account either; so I am sure that @KenBrace will ban both of his accounts from TFW as soon as he reads your post, Mantis.
    I see that he signed up at two different months and also used different emails; so he probably just slipped by when he was being rated as a writer.

3. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

In this case, he mistakenly used matching IPs on both accounts. Furthermore, it seems he sometimes quickly logged out of one account and logged into the other since sometimes the two accounts posted one after another within minutes of the other post.

Heatman and Happyflowerlady like this.
  4. Heatman

Heatman Well-Known Member

It's a silly thing to do. He shouldn't have done that for any reason whatsoever. I'm sure that it's stipulated in the TFW rules that double accounts isn't allowed. Anyways, he will have to face the consequences of his actions.

@Mantis How about the issue I told you about with not earning any points from posting on your site?

Mantis likes this.
  5. Happyflowerlady

Once someone is banned, they are not going to get paid, so if he has points accumulated by doing this, it is not ever going to do him any good. Both accounts will be banned, so he is not going to get any money from anything that he wrote with either account.
    It was NOT a smart decision for him to make !

Mantis and Heatman like this.
  6. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

I'm very sorry about this, Heatman. I did actually contact Ken about the problem but he never got back to me. Hopefully he'll see this thread/post within the next day or two and then try to fix the matter, but if he doesn't respond soon I'll send him another message!

You aren't banned, but it's worth noting that your status is showing as "inactive" on my dashboard. I'm not sure what this means in this context but it's something Ken can address.

Heatman likes this.
  7. Heatman

Alright then, let's wait on @KenBrace till he shows up.

Thanks for everything.

Mantis likes this.
  8. to7update

to7update Well-Known Member

Any chance I can join your forum @Mantis?

9. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

I tried to address this here, but I can understand how you wouldn't have seen it, given the reply length, etc. Basically this is another thing Ken will need to look into, sooo we'll have to wait until we can confirm he still exists in the physical plane.

to7update and Alexandoy like this.
  10. Happyflowerlady

It should be a fairly simple process, if you want to allow @to7update into your forum, @Mantis. All that is required is that you have a PM together, find out what 7’s rating is, then you lower your rating requirement to just below that level very temporarily, and 7 subscribes. Then you raise the rating back up to whatever you have it set at now.
    The best thing is if 7 can just go to the forum and get registered first, so that once you lower the rating requirement, all he has to do is quickly subscribe.
    As long as you can coordinate your time, so that both of you can be online and ready at the same time, he can be added in under 5 minutes.

Kaynil and to7update like this.
  11. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

You made me laugh with that physical plane. And what's the problem if he is present in spirit only? Waheehee, funny.

Mantis and Heatman like this.
  12. Heatman

Lol, who knows maybe @KenBrace is on a spiritual sabbatical leave at the moment.

Alexandoy likes this.
  13. to7update

Yeah, if I can recall correctly you wanted writers to register with a different username and I never noticed that, then I contacted you about it and made a new register that never worked out.

I am not sure if I can subscribe the site with my email for that reason @Happyflowerlady.

14. Happyflowerlady

Maybe @Mantis can change your username to something that you both agree on , and then you can use the original registration ? Since you already had an account with one username, that might be why you could not register with a second username.
    Once you have a valid registration at the forum, then subscribing and connecting it to TFW again should not be an issue. Mantis would have a list of subscribers, and with good communication between you, I think that you can get this worked out, @to7update .

to7update likes this.
  15. to7update

Yeah, maybe, thanks @Happyflowerlady. For me any username would do really, lol. :)

Happyflowerlady likes this.
  16. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Apologies for my absence over the past few weeks! I've been trying to figure out some finances. The problem with to7update's account is that I deleted his account on the forum, so I believe that TFW thinks he's still registered, subsequently banning him from creating a new account. I'd be happy to try to figure out a workaround, but it would be nice if Ken materialised again. Feel free to PM me to7update, and perhaps if you use Skype, Discord or Steam we could get this resolved in real time.

17. Happyflowerlady

Okay, lets work on this, since we don’t know when Ken will be here to help out.
    First things first, is that @to7update needs a registered account at your forum , Mantis. TFW should not stop him from registering an account, no more than it would stop anyone from signing up at the forum.
    Once you two work that part out, then the next step is to get the new account subscribed through TFW. It should show on your dashboard which forums you are subscribed to, 7, and if you are still subscribed to Mantis’ forum, then you need to unsubscribe . This will unlink the old account from TFW.
    If your dashboard does not show you as subscribed to the forum , then all you should have to do is subscribe, and possibly @Mantis will have to temporarily lower the rating requirement for you to subscribe, and then raise it back up again once you are in.

Right now, 7 shows as inactive on your forum, Mantis, and not deleted. I think that if he disables his subscription (unsubscribes) then you guys can start over with a new account and new subscription.