1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

Complete system revamp for improved content quality?

Discussion in 'The Forum Wheel' started by KenBrace, Oct 3, 2016.

1. to7update

to7update Well-Known Member

Anxiety Forums was I community I enjoyed being in, and I interacted with a lot of users, I felt they were opening up with me, and that I could actually help them.

I don't know how writing 100 lines can be better than getting to the point.

2. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member

How can we get our ratings back to normal so we can post on the forums we were using previously?

Also, I agree that owners can't expect full articles for a nickel or a dime. I don't think full articles are necessary anyway, since most people won't read the whole thing in a forum setting. Content can be good without being lengthy.

I try to engage other users, and I think that is better than writing a long post that they will skip over. You see it all the time. It's clear that they only read the title and then responded, because they didn't want to read the whole post. Concise can work if interesting and engaging.

to7update likes this.
  3. to7update

Yeah, longer posts doesn't mean better quality posts or a better forum dynamic, but each owner is entitled to his/her opinion. We should not create a rule just because of some though.

pwarbi and thisnthat like this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I think that where the problem is now, is that many of us on here have been posting via TFW since it's conception and had got used to the way the rating system was. We roughly knew what the forum owners expected of us, and they in turn knew what to expect from a forum posting service such as this.

It seems as if the whole rating system was changed due to one or maybe a couple of forum owners that decided to complain and pretty much then slate all of us on here as if we was all taking the p*ss and we was all writing a load of rubbish which I think is unfair. @KenBrace is in a tricky position because obviously he's trying to make everyone happy and come up with a fair rating system so after maybe thinking about upgrading the rating system for a while, he took their complaints on board and went ahead and changed it. Personally I think that the new rating system is a lot more comprehensive and could go on to work well, but the system wasn't broken in the first place and many of the forum owners were quite happy with the work we was doing and had rated us accordingly already.

I tried to work with the forum owners that wasn't happy and after countless messages it was clear to me that no matter what we did, or what @KenBrace did, they was never going to be happy and I got the impression that they wouldn't be regular subscribers to TFW service anyway so all the hard work that was done was for nothing. As it happens the forum owners that did complain have since disappeared and I doubt they'll come back so all it's done is leave us forum posters feeling a bit confused as to what we're actually here for. Do we do long post, short posts, post natural replies and threads on a forum or make the posts more professional? A forum post that's grammatically correct, set out as if it's a small blog post and 50 words long including at least 5 keywords and tags isn't a natural forum post, and you can read a thread from top to bottom and those posts stand out as being unnatural. But then some forum owners rate low because they want the post to appear natural but they can't have it both ways. If we post in keeping with the other replies on a thread we are told we aren't posting enough, but when we post longer it looks unnatural...and on it goes.

Some of us used to be members of Postloop and remember how Ryan used to be, and there was a lot of forum owners and writers that didn't get on with him but you can see what sort of problems him and Ken are having. Forum owners all asking for different things. Writers complaining and all wanting different things and I think that's one of the reason Postloop closed down because in the end he just thought it's to much trouble and I don't want TFW to go that same way. @KenBrace as put a lot of time and effort into this site, and as welcomed our opinions and implemented changes that have been asked for and for a site that's still relatively new, TFW is probably more successful at this point than he thought it would be. It's not perfect, what site is? But it's work in progress and we need to remember that.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd put my opinion across and say a few things from my perspective. We aren't all going to agree but that's my take on things at the moment. I know that I also have a moan about things but I'm happy enough with the way TFW is going at the moment and I think while we are all complaining then we also have to remember that we are being paid for doing something we enjoy doing and if TFW disappeared what would we all do then?

5. to7update

Very good post @pwarbi, and it reflects perfectly what's going on. I have direct testimony of one forum owner who liked the previous rating system better. At the end of the day, we cannot please everyone, but this rating system, even if more fair, seems more work for forum owners, and I don't know if they are willing to do that.

Still, the system is not working just yet, as that particular forum owner could not rate me lol, gave me almost max score and I ended up with 0.9. The question now is, if a forum owner wants to give 3, 4 or 5, they can no longer do it directly I believe, it's sort of a formula right?

6. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

I think @pwarbi deserves a 5.0 for the long and insightful post. ;)

to7update likes this.
  7. Flyer

Flyer Active Member

That's pretty much what just happened to me, from a forum owner who previously gave a really good rating. I think there are still bugs in the formula to be sorted.

Also, should all the new ratings be numeric?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  8. to7update

Yeah, numeric ratings would make things easier I believe.

I am with you @Jason76, 5.0 to @pwarbi! :)

9. Flyer

Flyer Active Member

I'm asking because one of my ratings components isn't, while the rest are. Just curious if that has happened to anyone else, or if it is a glitch.

10. to7update

I think forum owners don't rate numerically, they rate words (?) and the system translates into numbers.

The system is not up and running though I believe, at least I haven't received any feedback on the PMs I've been sending to @KenBrace, so I am assuming he is working on it.

11. to7update

Just now noticed this post. I think this seems to be a very complicated system, I don't know if writers would go through all that for a site they don't know. I probably would not.

12. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

Hi everyone. Just wanted to post a quick update. I'm still working on the new rating system. It is mostly functional at this point but still has a few bugs that need to be worked out. I'm super, duper backed up on support requests which is why responses have been taking a while. I started a new job a couple of weeks ago which is why I've been so short on time. I should be able to finish it up this week and get started with a campaign to encourage forum owners to re-rate their writers. It'll be a lot of work but it also provides them an opportunity to earn some credits. Every review they do gives them around 2 free posts, which isn't bad. Anyway, just bear with me. I should be able to finish up the new rating system and get caught up on support requests this week.

to7update, Cheeaka and Kaynil like this.
  13. to7update

Cheeaka likes this.