1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

How Are New Members Tested and Rated

Discussion in 'New Users & Approval' started by KimberlyD, Apr 15, 2015.

1. KimberlyD

KimberlyD Well-Known Member Moderator

As a content writer at the moment, I am not too concerned about this process as long as I receive my approval and rating, but as a forum admin.... I wanted to know how content writers are approved and rated. Are the forum admins involved? Do we go in and press like to show that we like a members postings or is this process done sole by TFW's admin? I am curious to know because I was going to start reading through the Gateways post and press like for the ones I approve of, but unsure of the process.

2. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

Currently I am doing all of the rating work. The admins don't have to worry about it. I think most admins don't really feel like having to rate subscribers everyday so I figured it would be best to leave that job to the management. I also think that this will make the rating system more reliable. The rating system is often abused and you can have 5.0 writers that really only deserve a 4.2 or whatever. This makes that minimum rating feature more reliable as well.

It may eventually become too overwhelming. At that point I may have to change things. Until then I'd like to make the job of the site owners as easy as possible. This also means that all writers will get a rating for every site they post on. As a writer, you no longer have to worry about not getting a rating. You will always get a rating and they will always be as fair as possible.

3. KimberlyD

You should look into possibly hiring some of the content writers to do the ratings when it gets too much for you. The reason I say this is that a content writer is not going to be as nit picky as a admin but just as scrutinizing. Not to mention, you and I discussed the idea of instead of bumping a person off if they can't make the rating.... to try and teach them so that they can. A content writer who has a high rating and proven skill can help with that. It would take the pressure off of you so that you can concentrate on other things. Just a suggestion for future thought.

4. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Member Moderator

Home Page:
    http://rchkb.github.io/
    I do like the 'like' process to show approvals (I do NOT like that sentence!) and I *love* the idea of grammar assistance for those who are struggling. Maybe a board topic specifically for help with grammar and/or proofreading?

5. KenBrace

Yes, it is very likely that I will start having to hire staff members to do all the rating work. I'm able to handle the few sites listed at the moment but there's no way I could do 50+ sites.

6. KenBrace

That's an interesting idea. I sort of do this when I apply ratings. If the user did a good enough job to be approved but was still lacking in an area, then I will let them know in the rating comment. That way they know where to improve.

Maybe we could have a sub forum in the Gateway where moderators give comments on people's posts. Let them know where to improve. Good idea @digitalsatori.

Would anyone like to be the Gateway Grammar Man? :D

Pipergale likes this.
  7. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Member Moderator

Home Page:
    http://rchkb.github.io/
    I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!!

KenBrace likes this.
  8. KenBrace

[​IMG]

Will you survive? :D

9. KenBrace

Alright, I set you up as a moderator and created a new forum for posting critiques. Just scan through the site whenever you have the time and give tips to users that aren't producing good grammar or enough post content. Whenever you see a post that needs to be worked on just add it to multiquote and start a new thread with your critique of the post.

Anyone else want a mod job? Digital won't be able to handle it all.

10. Stephen George

Stephen George New Member

I can lend a hand :) I could love to help in maintaining the quality of the forum. :)

KenBrace likes this.
  11. KimberlyD

Give me some time to sort a few things out here and I wont mind helping. I just need to concentrate on my forum posting and getting my site up and running at the moment. Once I free some space up I can work on it. You know you can count me in on helping with what I can. :p

KenBrace likes this.
  12. fuzyon

fuzyon New Member

I can help you with the grammar ratings. I am studying C2 english so my english skills are near perfect.
    I would love to help you.

KenBrace likes this.
  13. KenBrace

Thanks for the offer! I'll be happy to add you as a moderator on the Gateway if I see that you're able do the job.

Go ahead and give the job a try. If you do a good job then I will add you as a grammar mod.

Stephen George likes this.
  14. Happyflowerlady

Happyflowerlady Well-Known Member Moderator

I am also interested in doing this. I have been a content writer for over two years , and have a pretty good grasp on how a writer should be rated, and have also helped Labatt as a moderator when he first started his forum. I am confident that he will give me a good recommendation.

labatt likes this.
  15. KimberlyD

I would not mind vouching for you too @Happyflowerlady. I have seen your writing, you do a very good job.

Happyflowerlady likes this.
  16. KenBrace

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely have you in mind when I go to hire someone for the position.

Happyflowerlady likes this.
  17. Happyflowerlady

Happyflowerlady Well-Known Member Moderator

If I can help out as a volunteer until you get the Forum Wheel "rolling along" (like a wheel should do), then let me know how I can help out, and I will do that .

KenBrace likes this.