1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

Post quality gone down hill lately ??

Discussion in 'General Support' started by shadowpope17, Dec 6, 2016.

1. shadowpope17

shadowpope17 Member

Any other forum owners noticed this? I'm not talking about grammar or post length. It just seems a lot of people (but not all) come on, write the bare minimum, max out their post count then they leave straight away to the next forum... Do members here not actually care about the forum they're on? The posts are starting to sound like something they have to write instead of want to, and it shows. And it's a put off to genuine members who want to join. Threads are starting to look like a collection of statements rather than a discussion board. :(

jane marie, GearZ, vij and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

I haven't really been active in any community as of late, I am hoping to change that and subscribe to some forums. It probably would be just a few I actually feel I can keep visiting because I don't have as much free time as when I just joined.

My experience alone has been a bit of a mixed bag as a writer for TFW. I arrived pretty eagerly and I had a blast with the communities I joined, which weren't that many to begin with, but out of the ones I did, many just disappeared without ever rating me. Straight from the gateway, I started with an exceptionally high rating and encouraging words and I honestly was trying hard to keep. I am not a power poster. I am a snail poster, so I might not visit every day nor post just three, five or whatever is your cap. I might post more or less depending what gets my attention.

I have only received 1 rating and I felt I received a rating of 4 for doing extra posts, creating topics, engaging, being friendly and overall what I felt was going the extra step. Many forum owners will restrict their ratings to 4.7 or something high like that so in exchange for trying to be part of the forums I became limited from joining other communities I wanted to join.

I also have noticed threads about the system not crediting for posts and delays in payments which could also be mining the mood for some writers.

This is, of course, just my experience and might not be relatable to others writers, but I hope at least in can bring some perspective what might be playing a part in the writers acting with less enthusiasm lately.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    shadowpope17 likes this.
  3. to7update

to7update Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback @shadowpope17. I get what you mean, I personally try to interact with other users, understand what they are saying and to establish a dialogue, but I always thank the feedback and guidance from forum owners in order to deliver what you are aiming for.

Kaynil likes this.
  4. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

It could possibly be due to writer's block. Not everyone is an expert in whatever subject the forum is about. However, the lack of ideas can be overcome.

to7update likes this.
  5. vij

vij Member

I agree with you @shadowpope17 and I think this may have got to do with most writers here not ever been part of any forum for the love of it. They treat it as writing articles. Instead of researching and understanding the subject a lil bit, they write whatever cliched basic useless info they have and it shows.

Another reason is unlike postloop, with TFW, the forum owners dont automatically get point refunds when they have to delete posts and the writers know this. I think these factors contribute to lifeless posts. I am considering taking my forum out.

The person shouldn't post if he/she doesn't have anything useful to contribute. Thats what I expect. Dont do it like a chore because it shows!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    shadowpope17 likes this.
  6. Jason76

I've seen posts on Anxiety Forums and Pharmacy Researcher and I haven't been convinced the posts are lifeless. Can you give an example? In fact, many have told personal stories and given good insights into the subject matter.

jane marie and to7update like this.
  7. Jason76

What could be some examples of a cliche?

8. vij

vij Member

Thanks for caring. I appreciate.

My concerns include
    1. Regurgitating previous posts.
    2. Posting only in threads that are easy and already have dozens of posts.
    3. If a spammer starts an idiotic thread it gets quick and immediate attention because it is easy to post senseless obvious posts in it.
    4. No posts in threads from real members because that requires some research and brain usage.
    5. Making the most obvious posts in threads, some of which I delete.
    6. No insights or deep rationalization.

Kaynil and shadowpope17 like this.
  9. Alex

Alex Member

I kind of knew that it would happen, and I am on the forum that the OP has, and some days I just don't want to post because there is nothing to respond with, or the posts are things that make little sense to me. Rather than post for the sake of it, I just don't. It may come to a point if there are more of these kinds of posts that I would stop posting completely.

I'm on another forum which I no longer am active on where the posters talk about TFW and how quickly they can post and which forums they can get points on easily. They see it as an actual job, so they will post and then move to the next job. Sadly, the skincare forums seem to have gone mainly as I saw such poor posts, and because I have my own beauty blog I know there is no way I would want those kinds of posts on my site.

10. shadowpope17

shadowpope17 Member

Damn :(

Cheeaka likes this.
  11. Jason76

Do owners give bad or average ratings to those with bad writing or just ignore the situation?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Cheeaka likes this.
  12. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

I think that as writers we ought to join only communities we feel we can genuinely connect with. Like you guys say if there is not knowledge nor interest to learn it really shows. Not just because we can post long sentences mean they don't come up awkward or just plain disengaging.

I actually pretty sad that this is the impression of TFW we are leaving as writers. :/

shadowpope17 likes this.
  13. Jason76

I notice a forum has risen their rating, but none of the forums will rate anyone except Christian Forums to my knowledge. I give ratings, but nobody will rate me, not even a bad rating, lol. I don't see how anyone can advance in this situation.

Kaynil likes this.
  14. Jason76

A lot of people are trying to make a living. I mean, do McDonalds people like what they do? But then again, ratings need to be in place so the writing is good.

to7update likes this.
  15. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

Even McDonalds have standards in place for a reputation to keep. If you don't prepare the burgers accordingly you get in trouble.

I've volunteered in promotion communities to post in other communities for years, not always with a say on the niche yet I made an effort to keep standards of quality posting and engaging with the community. Here you can choose freely. If you want the better paid of the ones that let you post more times at least you gotta make sure you find a way to be interested in the community, you don't have to 'love' it, but you should care enough to pass out as any other member that is staying out of their own will and it is part of the group because that is what we are being paid to do.

shadowpope17 likes this.
  16. Jason76

I've not seen that the forum posting in regard to ideas is that bad. However, some writers are making a few mistakes on spelling and grammar like putting two sentences together without punctuation.

to7update likes this.
  17. to7update

Yeah, I think most writers give their best, just a couple of them might be speeding through posts and that obviously shows. We should not generalize really as when someone makes a post with 2-3-4 lines that certainly is adjusted to the payment that is provided.

18. Jason76

I don't think writing should be robotic, but writers need to take the time to proofread, cause some people are ending sentences with the wrong punctuation etc.

How can you have good writing that also sounds like a real person?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  19. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

I've been pondering over this issue ever since I started TFW. One thing I should probably do is add more incentive for admins to provide ratings. I also need to crack down on those who give BS ratings to hurry up and get the reward. Perhaps I should create a "not rated tax" so that writers get a bonus so long as they've not received a rating from said site. Since the writer is earning more, the admin will be paying more. Once they've provided the writer with a rating, that "tax" will be removed and both the admin and the writer will benefit.

The rating system itself also needs to be improved. One number isn't a good estimation. It's too subjective. We need fields to figure out specs on each individual area. This will also help us to identify false ratings. If a writer usually gets a good score on grammar but not so good on post length and suddenly they receive a rating that says their grammar was bad but they had good post length, then that throws up a red flag that the admin is just randomly clicking values. The system can then automatically monitor the ratings that an admin gives and then remove that feature if too many strikes are received. So as an admin it would be very important to provide accurate ratings since being banned from that feature will permanently increase the cost of content.

It might also be a good idea to allow writers to report ratings that they believe to be unjust. Obviously people will report bad ratings even if they are just but if a specific site is receiving more than usual, then that's a red flag.

jane marie and to7update like this.
  20. to7update

Good ideas right there @KenBrace, I think that the most important is that we establish a fair and transparent rating system, so that everyone is happy.

KenBrace likes this.