1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "kenbrace@live.com".

Postloop closing up ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GearZ, Sep 19, 2016.

1. GearZ

GearZ Well-Known Member Moderator

It is official, Postloop will be no more November 1st. Details here.

This my be an opportunity for TFW.

2. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

Thank you for the notification @GearZ.

While this will likely help TFW, I know Ryan has worked really hard at Postloop and I hate to see his site close down.

Secretly I am just a tiny bit jealous as he will now have a lot more time on his hands and will be free to pursue other opportunities.

Either way, he is a smart guy and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours. Postloop was definitely a kick ass site!

Kaynil and Jason76 like this.
  3. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member

I was going to point this out as well. It may provide some opportunity here (although I know of at least one owner that is doing their own thing now).

Despite its ... idiosyncrasies, it did provide a decent opportunity. I'll miss the work.

4. GearZ

GearZ Well-Known Member Moderator

In related news, I just read that Contentvania is no longer around either.

5. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

Just because Postloop is closing up doesn't mean a lot of forums are aware an alternative exists here.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I've spoken to a number of ex-postloop forums that weren't aware that there was an alternative and do seem interested. I've sent Ken a message and I'm just awaiting any reply.

Kaynil and KenBrace like this.
  7. Jason76

A big problem lies in the fact Ken cannot directly email forum owners without being a spammer. Therefore, that limits his options to advertising on forum admin forums etc..

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

But that doesn't stop others on here canvassing for forums to come and join the site. I've spoken to a number of forum owners who like I said, wasn't sure what to do when postloop closed as they wasn't even aware there was an alternative. They are now, and will be in touch with Ken and take it from there.

Postloop was the main rival to this site, and with that gone, and forum owners obviously wanting paid content still, transferring to here is the logical thing to do. We just have to give them a push, and I'm trying to do that.

thisnthat and KenBrace like this.
  9. Jason76

Possibly some are proofreading work when on Gateway to get on, but later avoiding it. To keep attracting forums, people have to keep proofreading posts.

10. KenBrace

I have considered a complete reform of the system.

Perhaps there is a way to automate things. Keep track of the actual content being posted and throw up an alert if poor post length, grammar, etc. is detected.

Maybe I should terminate all writer approvals and require people to reapply. Maintain extremely high quality requirements.

Possibly the quality automation combined with a stricter system is just what we need.

It also might be a good idea to increase the cost of content. This would allow us to pay writers more which is an incentive for native English speakers to post more. So higher cost but also higher quality.

Any thoughts?

11. Jason76

It depends on what forum owners are willing to pay. Some of them are poor, but I'm not sure how many have larger budgets. In such a system, if you cannot attract enough people willing to pay, I don't know, 40 or 50 cents a post, then business is down the tubes.

I don't think you should scrap the writers already here. Anyhow, making them re-apply doesn't do any good cause I think some of them are trying hard on the Gateway, maybe even using grammar software, and then once hired, slacking off. So basically the Gateway eliminates some, but some are just trying hard for the Gateway only.

So the best solution is to deal with writers now that already hired, rather than make those same writers do the Gateway over. Not sure if you should get rid of the Gateway though, as it does get rid of some people.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Jasmin Cottontail and thisnthat like this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

The Forum Wheel is still finding its feet, and I think that getting rid of all the writers and making everyone re-apply will be a backward step as I think the good writers will think that they are being unfairly punished. Forum owners that I've spoken to recently do still want paid posting, but they aren't willing to pay a lot for it and the writers need to accept that and deal with it, but at the same time not let their quality dip.

You'll get writers who expect to be making 25 cents per word as if they're writing articles for top newspapers and magazines, and that isn't the case and never will be when it comes to forum posting, so if that's what they want, and they see forum posting as beneath them, they shouldn't be posting here in the first place.

Maybe look at the writers on board here now and that are below a set rating, 3.5 for example, and contact them to discuss their accounts and warn them? While that might seem like a lot of work, at the end of the day I think it will be worth it and a way to weed out the poor posters. Maybe suspend the gateway and stop any new writers from applying for now until the current writers have been checked that are under that certain rating could help?

I's also say that The Forum Wheel might need to consider taking on more staff (unpaid for now of course) in order for the writers to be checked, but also to help maintain the site overall. Ken can't do it all, and I've not seen Kim around for a while now either.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

There's not a chance that any forum owner is ever going to pay 40 or 50 cents per post, no matter how rich they are. They begrudge paying 3 cents per post and a lot expect perfectly worded, and formatted posts of unique and original content of at least 50 words for their money, and so while in my last post I blamed the writers for the poor posts, the forum owners need to take a long hard look at themselves as well.

If your only prepared to pay peanuts, then you have to also be prepared to expect a few monkeys.

thisnthat likes this.
  14. ForumAdmin

ForumAdmin Member

I agree - The trouble is, forum admins don't have any control over how much is paid for content written on their site. It's set by postloop, TFW or whoever else offers the service. Postloop had a feature that allowed a bonus to be paid and although I see a column on TFW featuring a Bonus I can't find anyway of using it.

EDIT: Maybe double points should be awarded to writers who hold a rating of 4.5 or more? A rating of 5 get triple points?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  15. KenBrace

Perhaps we should have a leveled system. For example, when you add your site you would have three categories to put it under...
    • Budget ($0.05 - $0.10 per post)
    • Standard ($0.15 - $0.20 per post)
    • Premium ($0.25 - $0.30 per post)
    The exact numbers could be tweaked but you get the idea. Instead of rating being the determining factor of whether or not they are allowed to work for the site, it would be category. When a writer completes the application process, their account is placed in one of those three categories. They are then allowed to work for that level and any level under it.

When a forum owner signs up they can pick a category. They can pay up and get some seriously good quality or they can pay peanuts and get a pack of monkeys as you put it.

The problem here is that forum owners often give phoney ratings and it's all too easy for a writer who deserves a 4.0 to end up with a 4.7.

16. ForumAdmin

ForumAdmin Member

Most definitely and issue at present but...

Would a forum owner continue to rank highly for poor content, grammar etc, if they are made aware that doing so will ultimately lead to them paying poor content writers more in the long run?

Content writers will also likely put in more effort to protect their ranking (read the rules, better content, grammar, punctuation etc) if they are rewarded with more points/money for having a higher rank?

17. KenBrace

People who do this don't care about the system as a whole. They just want to grab their 3 credits per rating as quickly as possible.

That is already the case. Details in the FAQ. It's just not double and triple.

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I've never understood why forum owners would rate falsely in the first place though. Maybe I'm a little naive but why would somebody buy 1000 credits for example, get badly written posts that are detrimental to the forum and quite clearly word spun, bought content and then proceed to give that writer a 4.5? Some of the posts I've seen (not just from members on TFW by the way) have been laughable, and if I was that forum owner I'd have revoked access and I'd be messaging you for my credits back, never mind giving them a good rating.

19. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member

I have and will contact a couple owners as well.

Is this site set up for blog comments too? I know a blog owner that I think would be interested. They still keep adding points on PL.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware it isn't but only @KenBrace can answer that. I'm not sure if blog posts work anyway on sites such as this but that's just my opinion.