1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

Why do forums go out of business?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jason76, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

It seems like they disappear like dust in the wind. What keeps a forum going for at least a decade?

2. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

One word: PASSION

Cheeaka likes this.
  3. KenBrace

KenBrace Well-Known Member Administrator

If the owner of the site has a true passion for the topic, then there is a very high chance of success. Most of these forums that pop in and out of existence like quantum particles are created by entrepreneurs who are looking at it as a business. They don't actually care that much about the topic itself. They are interested in getting traffic and making profit. These forums are highly likely to fail.

In my own history of running forums, all of the ones started from a business perspective failed. The ones started because of a true interest in the topic are still alive today and will remain alive. Discuss Truth only has a few regular members but that's all it needs to stay pumping because I have a true passion for philosophy and related topics. So no matter how small it is, I'm going to keep posting because I love discussing the topic. It's not a business and that's why it lives on.

4. Jason76

The passionate owner might not get a lot of money sometimes, but they will get a crowd at least.

5. vij

vij Member

More often that not you dont get either - and to keep splurging time and money on it gets tougher with time.

Here's a fact: Most of the forums listed here only incur expenses overall - not any profit whatsoever.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. Jason76

Ultimately, it boils down to the material, but sometimes the visual look is also important. Your thing drawing them in has to look good and where they go has to look good. Well, they don't have to be good, but decent. However, again, content is make or break.

In some things, due to competition, you're going to have to have something exciting that, in general, nobody else has.

Even if you're buying traffic, it's possible to drive traffic toward something they bounce off of, or that they investigate and then find they don't like it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    vij likes this.