IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

A simple question ? : How to be web developer

Discussion in 'Programming' started by iajua, Apr 20, 2015.

1. iajua

iajua New Member

i am a graphic designer and mechanical Engineer. I am having interest in Computer more then my mechanical engineering.

i am here with a simple question.

What language is use to make website.
    2) which Adobe software is used?

actually i want to ask how to be a professional web developer.

thanks

2. MasterPostman

MasterPostman New Member

There are many ways a website can be made, Html5, HTML, PHP, Bootstrap, javascript with html to make it more interactive. Im studying these types of languages now. Any more questions ask away, Im here always.

3. Elaine94

Elaine94 New Member

I would recommend taking online courses,there are plenty of lessons about web development in Udemy.Then,you should search in Amazon for web development books and filter your results so you can only see the highest rated books .Always make sure to read the reviews,most of them are very helpful,especially the ones written by people who work in the field.
    HTML5 is a good language to begin,then you can move on to other languages.I am currently studying Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, CSS & HTML5 by O'Reilly Media. The first book I read was HTML & CSS : Design and Build Websites by Jon Duckett. It is a good way to start,because Jon explains in a succint and simple way .

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy New Member

In 1999, I had attended Dreamweaver and had designed several websites, mostly personal websites. Seeing that I have on aptitude in design, I stopped doing that in spite of learning HTML coding. Now I seem to have forgotten most of what I have learned.... or I should say the programming now is quite different. Waheehee.

cr381121 likes this.
  5. kokas650

kokas650 New Member

The are a few languages that you have to use to make a website. If you're going to start learning, you should check some tutorials on HTML and CSS. This languages are the basics of the website, and are easy to learn, but there's only much you can do with them. Basically design and structure are what this languages are about.

If you want to develop a better website you'll need to know PHP, .NET, MySQL, JavaScript and more. You don't need to actually know them all, but i advise you to at least learn MySQL(for databases), JavaScript and PHP/.Net, as they are the most common.

As for Adobe Software, DreamWeaver is the one to go. I'm personally not a fan of it, I think that there are better ones out there, but if you still go for it, try to learn code from scratch rather than dragging stuff around and then get lost in the default code.

I'm not sure if I can put the link here, but Codeacademy is really helpful when it comes to learning new languages, and it's free.

6. dodong

dodong New Member

Website design and programming are what caught my interest also. I remember buying an online course a few years ago just for the purpose of learning those things. But time constraints prevented me from completing it because I had other preoccupation to fulfill. As it is until now, it still remains a dream as far as I am concerned.

7. PaddiM8

PaddiM8 New Member

The probably most used programming languages are HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, Javascript(and jQuery). Well HTML is not really a programming language, but I think you understand the point. HTML is mostly used for the "objects" like buttons, lines of text, images and more. CSS is more used for designing. The layout, styles, fonts, sizes and more while PHP and Javascript are used to give the "objects" a function ex.
    jQuery is actually javascript but it has its own functions. It's useful for animations.
    MySQL is employed to databases.

Adobe made Dreamweaver for web development, I'm not a fan of it though. It's not to most popular editor for developing websites. I would recommend Notepad++, Sublime text or Brackets. Brackets are in fact developed by Adobe too.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  8. peaceofmind7

peaceofmind7 New Member

There are two kinds of web developers. Front end and Back end. A front end developer is responsible for the part of the code that lies on the user's browser (the client). On the other hand a back end developer is responsible for the code that lies on the server. It would be good to have knowledge of both worlds, but expertise in one. Just to make things clear, i will make a list.

Front end

1. HTML : This is essential as it is the main element of building websites no matter what other language you use. If you know the standard elements of HTML 4 you are ready to create a basic website without any other tool. Learning HTML 5 would be a great bonus though because it offers many capabilities of adding interactive content. The best place to start learning html is here http://www.w3schools.com/

2. CSS : This is used along with HTML , it is used for styling a website ( adding color , setting fonts etc.) . In my opinion, this is also essential for a web developer.

3. Client side scripting languages : The most common scripting language is javascript. And the most common javascript library is JQUERY. This is called client side because it is executed in a user's browser. It helps changing website content dynamically , creating visual effects , validating user input and many other tasks.

Back end

1. SQL : SQL is the language used to make queries in databases. Databases are the place where server data are stored. For example, you have a site like imdb. In the database are located all the movies data , actors, directors etc. When opening a movie page you request from the database the specific data about this movie (Actors , director) . This is called a query. There are many flavors of SQL depending on the server (mysql , oracle ms sql) but if you know one you are ready to go since they have minimal differences.

2. Server side scripting languages : These are responsible for handling data returned from the server to the client's machine. There are many languages you can learn. Most common are PHP , ASP.NET and JAVA so you will need to expertise in one. Of course, if you learn the basics of a language, it is easier learning others as well.

9. cr381121

cr381121 New Member

If you want to learn how to design websites I highly recommend using Adobe Dreamweaver. You can use Adobe Dreamweaver to design and it will do the coding for you. However, I strongly recommend that you know how to read XHTML before you decide to start using Dreamweaver. You also will need to know how to use CSS for the design and style of your pages as mentioned above. Dreamweaver will do the coding for you, but if you want to make any modifications or specific alterations it is better if you can read the code and change it yourself. It might be necessary to get the result you are aiming to achieve. I went to college to learn some of these skills myself, however, you can find tutorials online that will guide you step by step.

10. OneShot

OneShot New Member

First of all, you should learn some of programming languages like HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, Javascript. You can take online courses,there are plenty of lessons about web development in Udemy. In other way you can read some of free online books.

lana0912 likes this.
  11. castbound

castbound New Member

If you want to learn web development you can watch many lessons on YouTube.Another website that can give you knoweldge about web development is Udemy.There are free courses for web development there,so if you'd like go check them out.

Remember:What makes a master a master is that they never think they're masters.Always be growing.

Keep working and you will succeed.

12. lana0912

lana0912 New Member

Good advice. I do not make web sites but it is always nice to be informed. It is nice to see how you all do help each other. This is a very nice group of people here. So i feel very lucky for being here today.Thank you all.

13. iamhadzy

iamhadzy New Member

It's much better to just get right into it using a tutorial or a book.. But basically here's the main information you'll need.

HTML
    • Is used for writing all kind of texts on the webpage and dividing it using tags.
    • Is the main page you open for most of the static sites which doesn't require complex login (Facebook for example)
    • It's what connects your website together.
    CSS
    • Is the styling of your webpage.
    • It consists of stuff like background colors and dividing and it brings your webpage to shape.
    JavaScript
    • Is the main programming language for your webpage at client side.
    • Brings your webpage to life with some interactivity and possibility of developing apps and games in it.

These are just the basics.. You should go buy a book or go to a site like CodeAcademy.com and follow a tutorial to guide you.

You can create and edit all these type of files using any text editor but everyone recommends Notepad++ or Sublime text 2.

14. Sikander

Sikander New Member

Getting into web development is pretty much easier.One can learn the web programming languages i.e Javascript,HTML and CSS quite easily.But I would say that join some training institute in your city and take certificate in web programming and then start your own work but stick to only one programming language and improve your work in it.It is all about the mind concepts and the game of sense.

15. Mihailo

Mihailo New Member

It is not so hard to be a web developer. Espacially now when you have so much websites where you can learn HTML and CSS.

The best website where you can earn money by creating HTML templates is ThemeForest. If you template is very good and it has good code, you can sell it easily.

16. othmanovich

othmanovich New Member

To become a developer, you should start by learning the basics of a programming language of your choice, don't spend one month on this step. Then the next step is to work on a real-world project, likewise, you will dig in deeper that you ever thought in the programming world.

17. tt1224780

tt1224780 New Member

Spend time to learn html, css, javascript/jQuery, some languages/framework to build the web. Should spend more time to learn online by yourself by example step to step to understand clearly

18. SuperUser

SuperUser New Member

So the basic path would be:
    1. Learn the basic stuff doing a course or one of the online free/cheap code schools
    2. Apply what you've learned by building projects with tutorials until you start wanting to do more than the tutorials can provide
    3. Take off the training wheels and go into the wild and build things that you're interested in or use every day. The more relevant to you the project is, the more likely you'll stick with it and be creative.
    4. (optional) Circle back to more beginner/intermediate materials and re-learn it. With your new perspective, you'll pick up all kinds of nuggets of wisdom.