IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Alaska’s Strange Drinking Law

Discussion in 'News' started by Flowerchild, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Flowerchild

Flowerchild New Member

Here’s a head-scratcher. In Alaska, If you frequent a bar, get intoxicated, and remain on the premises, you will be breaking the law in Alaska. So, were all scratching our heads on this one, right?

In 2012, Alaskan police officers started using plain-clothes officers to rigorously proceed to every bar in Alaska to identify and detain suspects. The statute states that an intoxicated person can not, on purpose, join or hang out anywhere that alcohol is being sold. I wonder what happens if they accidentally go where alcohol is being served (like a club or party)?

The fact that Alaska detected the need to impose such a law would lead us to believe that maybe the residents of Alaska may have been having a little too much fun, consequently, most people in Alaska probably do their crapulence at home.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  2. LawlietFluffTail

LawlietFluffTail New Member

This boggles my mind. For many people, the purpose of going to a bar is to get drunk. I'm really curious about this now. I wonder if there were incidents that lead to a need for this law that pertains to Alaska's climate and their long stretches of darkness and light.

I also wonder how this impact the bars financially. Do certain establishments go out of business because people aren't buying as much alcohol that they would otherwise?

If anyone from Alaska could shed some light on this topic, that would be great!