IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are private schools bad for education?

Discussion in 'Education' started by waffleparty, Apr 14, 2015.

1. waffleparty

waffleparty New Member

This is something I've discussed a bit with friend of mine, who is against the privatization of education.

The basics of her argument are this: private schools often offer high quality education at a high price. They often attract very good teachers because of better pay when compared to public schools. This means that not as many good teachers are teaching at public schools, which in turn hurts kids, especially low income children. There are many families who could never afford to send their children to expensive private schools, even if they wanted to. This means that many of those children may be left with an inferior education by no fault of their own. This in turn perpetuates a cycle that low income people struggle to break out of because they weren't given the same opportunities and resources as the rich kids who could afford private schooling.

So what is your opinion? Should we be dismantling private schools? Are there benefits to having private schools? Do those outweigh the costs?

2. Llingua

Llingua New Member

There should be both a public and private sector for schooling. Anyone who places education as a priority will have their children go to a better school in this case a private school. However, I think every private school should have a scholarship system whereby they include exceptional underprivileged students in their schools.

3. Veronica M.

Veronica M. New Member

Depending on the private school at hand it could very be beneficial to students. But all in all, it depends on you, or your child as a person and how well you think you might do. It also depends on the school in question. I could find an intimacy in a private school, in the sense of their being more of a possibility for their being a more one on one time between students and their teachers.

Of course that depends on the size of the school. Because if you have a large enough school where a teacher has a 100+ students throughout the day, then that kind of one on one time will be harder. I want to say there should be a stricter requirement or prerequisite for private schools, a bar that they have to be above for them to be educating young minds, but I guess that takes away from the freedom that comes with being a private school..

I do have to say that I agree with @Llingua in saying that there should be a scholarship system offered for the underprivileged students or a benefits system geared toward all students who might require assistance and aid in studies they might not be able to get outside of school. Of course, that is to say that there isn't already one provided. I just know that some private schools are not better than others.

4. thisnthat

thisnthat New Member

I don't think private schools are bad for education overall. I also think it depends on the school. Some public schools are decent, and some private schools aren’t that great.

I’m not sure I understand your position. It appears as if you’re saying that because private schools are better, you want to see them dismantled. If that summary of your position is correct then I disagree with that idea.

We should learn as much as possible about the best schools in order to bring other schools up to par with them.

Scholarships are important. Students with great potential should also have great opportunities.

Veronica M. likes this.
  5. rojuslap

rojuslap New Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. rachel83az

rachel83az New Member

I also have to say that I disagree with the notion that private schools shouldn't be allowed, since they're better. Part of your argument seems to be that they attract teachers away from public schools. But if those better options weren't available for those teachers, how many of them would have turned to teaching in the first place? Probably not many.

7. hooper24

hooper24 New Member

I do not think that private schools are bad for education. Both private and public schools teach kids stuff that they need to be successful in their future. Some private schools just have some strict rules but that does not mean they are bad for education. One of the difference between public schools and private schools is that private schools are expensive and public schools are free.

8. Jason76

Jason76 New Member

Left wing people have many negative things to say about private schools. They claim they sell grades to the highest bidder. In addition, they claim the schools lack material because they want to cut down on expenses. Finally, they do admit public schools are a failure in many places, but only cause the government won't fund the schools enough.

Myself, I think both private and public schools are good, but in private setting, the teachers might be afraid of the students. In other words, they have to pamper students out of fear of losing their job.

9. Kumari

Kumari New Member

In my opinion private schools are not bad for education. In fact private schools provide better education and attention to the students. This does not mean all private schools are the best. Private schools can afford to hire better teachers with proper qualifications, provide them with ongoing training to refresh their knowledge and skills. Also kids who come to private schools have access to different resources, latest technology and good training staff to support them. All this is possible because private schools can charge higher fess which in turn allows them to hire well qualified teachers who get paid well compared to public schools.

In private schools the number of kids in each class is less compared to public school. This helps the teacher to give proper attention to each student. I wish that every student should have right to good education system which can prepare them to be better citizens of tomorrow. We all can hope that one day there will be no private schools or public schools but just schools which provide best education to each student so they can be prepared to face the challenges of life.

10. Helga

Helga New Member

I think private schools actually benefit education. Many teachers in Christian schools actually do not make as much as they would t aching in public schools and don't have as many benefits. Students in private schools tend to get a better education because the teachers teach there because they want to be part of that kind of school so they are more motivated. The parents are also more involved in their children's education and actively helping their children when they struggle. Removing private schools would likely harm our nation quite a lot. We are already considered behind in education. Removing the best schools would only leave us farther behind.

11. ELKANA KIPKOECH

ELKANA KIPKOECH New Member

This mostly tend to irritates people's mind.According to me, private and public schools are all recommended for study and make them to be institution for study.They all over the same service in teaching student and producing many professionals.In fact, in private schools student tend to obtain quality teachings and produced quality results as opposed to public schools.

12. Sanna

Sanna New Member

I think good or bad is depend on the available teaching faculties, infrastructure, Teaching learning Materials in schools. There are private schools which are really good and there are some which are not good. Besides all the facilities, Students doing their task is also matters. Generalization of private schools may not be fair though I support Government schools.