IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are There Limits to Reason?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Ange1, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Ange1

Ange1 New Member

I do believe there are limits to human reason. There are definitely certain things that our brains will never be able to fully understand or explain. Even the highest functioning- the most gifted individuals – can never have the answers for all of life’s questions. Some of us are limited by unexpected illness, such as stroke or brain injury that could affect our ability to reason. This could happen to anyone, of any intellect.

The biggest area, I believe, that our reasoning (the human race as a whole) is limited, is the area of faith and religion. The hardest questions such as, why are we here? and where did we come from? are not able to be answered with first-hand knowledge. This leaves each of us to use our own reasoning to determine what we believe to be accurate. The conclusion may not be able to be perfectly accurate, but the journey to gaining understanding about life, and ourselves, in my opinion, is definitely worth the effort.

What do you think?

2. lxst

lxst New Member

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt in your philosophy.

I agree. There are higher levels of consciousness that our human brains cannot comprehend. It would be like comparing our thought processes to that of a dog's. As a sapient being we are on an entirely different level to a dog. We can understand language and abstract concepts. Those are things a dog would simply not be able to compute. Similarly, I believe there are higher levels of consciousness we cannot achieve, as of the present. Whether in the future AIs will develop to be that advanced, or whether we would eventualy be able to reach that ourselves, remains to be seen.