IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are you taking your mental health for granted?

Discussion in 'Health' started by EZREAL, Sep 15, 2018.

1. EZREAL

EZREAL New Member

I think most of us are abusing our mental health. We may not notice it but we do it in some point. Depression and Anxiety are some of the consequences of mental abuse and sometimes our daily life cycle is the one to blame.

I will never forget when I was still working in the city, years ago. I knew that there’s a vast diversity between the lifestyle in the city and in the province but I pursue working in the city because of the competitive salary and I “badly” need the job. It was a great feeling at first. But after I experience the tough competition between me and my gossiping workmate, intense working relationship with my bully boss, the long and heavy 6 hour traffic, skipping meals and sleep deprivation, I thought of quitting, but I know I couldn’t because "I need the money". I felt suffocated of the idea of “wanting to leave” but “I have to endure”. That’s the point when I started feeling inexplicably down and sad. I always feel sick, even though I’m not really sick, I just feel broken and that makes me feel sick. I had low self-esteem. I lost my confidence and sometimes I thought I’m losing my mind too.

But everybody has a breaking point. I quit the job, finally. Because I knew my mind is sick and It needs to rest too so my whole body can function properly again. Base on that experience, I have learned that as well as our physical health, our mental health should also be taken care of. I have met some people who took their own life because they have taken their mental health for granted. So let's be kind to ourselves. Quit if you feel like quitting… "no, not the life"… but the situation that poisons you to quit your life.

2. amethyst

amethyst New Member

I could very well relate to your experience. I have also recently quit my long time job for almost 12 years. Of course a lot of people could and would never understand my decision especially that it's a high paying one and from a multinational company. I've been wanting to quit the job for quite some time because it has always been making me emotionally drained not just because of the physical stress brought by travelling a long distance but moreso because of the toxicity and the negativity in the office. However sadly I could not do it earlier because I have to work and earn for my family. I have to keep telling myself that I could do it. So I ended up going to work everyday in emotional turmoil and dragging myself coming to work and succumbing myself to the toxicity in the workplace.

So what made me finally do it? It was a tough decision but I know I have to finally free myself because it didn't get any better. I am starting to completely loose motivation and drive. I have even fully loose trust to the company, to my colleagues, and worsely to myself. I felt lost and thinking of myself as a failure. I couldn't lead my team because I don't know how to lead myself either. So I quit because I have to find myself first. After I quit, that's really when it hits me that the effects of staying in that environment and situation for a long time have really caused a lot for my emotional, mental, and psychological well being.

It's been several months now but I am still drained. I still can't trust and I have not yet fully rebuild my confidence. I still feel lost but still it's good that I was able to rest. I know shortly I would be able to get back again.

Sadly most of us disregard our well weing, especially our mental health not realizing that the effects of taking it for granted is sometimes more severe than physical illness. Thank you for starting a thread on this. Hope it would pave the way for more to open up or share their story to increase the awareness of everyone.