IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Challenges of working online

Discussion in 'Internet' started by nozomi2015, Dec 6, 2016.

1. nozomi2015

nozomi2015 New Member

Working online seems like a dream come true for many people, but what they don’t understand is the struggle that comes with online freelancing. My biggest challenge is staying consistent since i have to keep trying new things when the old ways start running out of fashion. What’s your challenge?

2. Mohhj

Mohhj New Member

Well yeah definitely you are right and the challenge that you're facing is the one that most of the people who try working online face. For instance, I face that challenge too. It's one of my greater challenges, but I do have another challenge which is to be patient when trying out a new thing.

You see we have to combine trying out new things with some patience, that's what I learnt the hard way. If you found what's working for you then try to be better at it. I'm still trying to improve myself with these challenges and to beat them ;)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. Collins Umeh

Collins Umeh New Member

My biggest challenge in online freelancing is my locality,Am from Nigeria and internet product surveys are usually exclusive to residents of top tier countries so if you are a resident in my country,You'll get less opportunities than residents of other countries

4. classic456

classic456 New Member

To me, there are few challenges to work online. The first one being, that if you are not in the USA, most of the online jobs requiring surveys are a no go for you, also, having to stay updated and on the flow of things, as you mention, things tend to go out of fashion, and you need to stay on top of these trends, but the most difficult part of working online for me is, staying focused, not getting distracted while you are working, because most of the times you are working from home, so there are a lot of distractions around, from home chores, to maybe even your pet wanting some attention.

5. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

I have been writing online since 2011. There were lots of challenges I had met like the quality of writeups I am going to submit for online publication and in return I received a payment. Failure of meeting deadlines was the worse experience I had. It was too disgusting and the site that I had been working with was too strict. Well, I was cut off from the writing job. But, I never lost hope. Yet still I was able find more writing job opportunities and also I was able to maintain my personal websites and with due diligence and perseverance, they were able to get a good traffic and have a good ads to accommodate. All those challenges I have had were all overcome by an attitude of perseverance, diligence, and determination. Hard work doesn't work well but to be smart it does.

6. Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue New Member

My biggest challenge has been organization as I take on more work. I had to severely curtail my work for a month for the sole purpose of reorganization so I could realistically take on more. So far it has been working, but I have to stay in the "organization" mindset in order for my workload to keep growing.

Part of the organization I'm talking about is making sure new projects sync well with the older ones via my e-mails and browsers, of which I have many. It is important that while everything is in sync, some jobs should not know about others, while others still.......that doesn't matter. It's a juggling act really, but I like it. I like the freedom that online work brings.

7. Cryptoreal

Cryptoreal Member

My challenge is keeping up with my social life and online life. It becomes a tusk especially trying to balance the two. I don't know whether anyone here has ever experienced that?

8. Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace New Member

There's always trying to explain Internet freelancing to disappointed relatives and bemused friends, but the art in itself is hard.
    If you consider the Internet an alternate reality- theoretically, we can't guarantee the pay is consistent. It's like betting that your sales will stay above zero. (Applies to any occupation in that sense.)
    And of course, there's the manipulation that ties into it...
    The Internet is a dangerous place, my friends, but I guess we're all betting against some odds here.

9. tryner

tryner New Member

I find myself struggling with staying consistent. I recently decided to keep track of how much I want to do on each site every day, and I'm already seeing more profit. Once in a while, I'd forget about a certain website for a couple of days so the daily lists I made are extremely helpful. Another problem I tend to have is spending too much time looking for new sites when I have offers on the sites I use.

10. Nymphetamine

Nymphetamine New Member

I think the secret lays in having patience. Patience to search for opportunities and even more patience to see your income growing very slowly, as a lot of websites don't pay a lot per work hour. And of course, we shouldn't forget about consistency, as home-based work often requires more dedication and organization than a regular job. Good luck to you all!

11. flowgard

flowgard New Member

I find it hard to maintain a peace of mind when it comes to freelancing. Sure, you can work whenever and wherever you want. You have no set schedule. However, this also means that you can spend every waking moment of your life working aka earning money. I get a little uneasy when I'm not working on something, because I think about how much money I'm missing out on. Sounds kind of terrible, actually.

12. skyhali

skyhali New Member

Yes, me too. I'm working online as a Transcriptionist and my biggest challenge is consistency. Being freelance is hard. It's a no work no pay basis. Sometimes there are some instances that I have errands to do and I can't get an audio file to work on and since I'm a freelancer I can do transcribing anytime I want, and sometimes I'm just surprised and not knowing that I have not made money that much. That's the disadvantage I guess. Unlike when you're working in a company it's a mandatory to work in a day with a fixed salary.

13. AF1013

AF1013 New Member

Two of my biggest challenges with working from home have been motivation and consistent productivity. Some days, I have much more energy and a better outlook than some others. I've found that breaking up larger tasks into smaller ones often helps, especially with writing.

14. Chibee Gordon

Chibee Gordon New Member

Working online offers some sort of liberty which generally invites laziness. For me, I think remaining focused would solve most of my problems.

Another involves trying not to be distracted. It's the internet. A world on its own.

15. butterflow

butterflow New Member

I agree with most of you that motivation and distractions are some of the major problems. what I find misleading, though, is the idea that it is all so easy to do. Just get online and you can instantly find work or become rich or whatever.

It's not just a matter of being good at what you do, you then need to become an expert on advertising, computer skills, social media and the likes. This seems to take up a lot of time then, of course, there's the competing with others to get work. You really do have to have a lot of patience to do all of it by yourself or until you start to make enough money to employ people to help you.

16. edware

edware New Member

Working online from home as a freelancer can be very difficult. You have to be good at adapting to new situations and you can't be afraid to try out new things. One of the hardest parts for me when it comes to working as a freelancer is trying to stay consistent with multiple jobs at once, as a single online job usually won't pay the bills. It can also be very hard just to get started with online work if you don't know where to look because of all the scams that exist on the internet.

17. Liezeliezel

Liezeliezel New Member

More people think that working online is easy because we are working in the safety of our home, we don't need to travel, we can eat any time but, they don't know the struggle with online freelancing. Working online may give you the freedom of time, but, it won't give you enough financial freedom, healthcare, security and all the benefits when you're employed. We don't have a fixed salary, sometimes payment isn't guaranteed as well. Working online makes you think a lot of things, whether the work you submitted is enough to be accepted or enough to gain some money.

Working as an online freelancer has some disadvantages and advantages, all we need to do is do our very best to cope up with all the changes happening in the online world.

18. Maria Crisanta

Maria Crisanta New Member

Staying focused, that's all I can say. It feels good to be your own boss, but the problem is that you don't have the necessary discipline at first. The first time the reality that you have no one to look after you anymore, you start thinking "hey, I can do anything I want now", and then you start spending too much time on social media, in front of the TV, with your friends, with little to no progress with your work. So, yeah, I think that's the hardest part. Anyway, I think everyone will agree that disciplining one's self is one of the hardest tasks that you'll ever have to do.

19. Liz Wangare

Liz Wangare New Member

While Just like almost everything has a positive and negative side, Working online is not different either many people think that being your own boss and working at own given time is easy. What they don't know is that this requires being very disciplined meaning one plans they own time, It is very easy to be swayed away from working considering one has the comfort of the house and all amenities.

One needs to have passion and high drive in mostly writing and to be able to work without supervision, and able to avoid temptations brought by been online which means there are more social sites available which waste time because one can not learn nor earn from the sites and some may even be dangerous.

Another shortcoming of working online is lacking social life especially someone who enjoys outdoors may be very hard to cope. And someone who has worked with other people example an office may have to endure without company outings, Enjoying insurances and allowances and many others which comes from the employment.

But being a freelancer now after been employed I would rather endure the above and provide myself with the above goodies, that comes with making someone rich as you get bossed around than giving up on the freedom and self-learning and growth that comes with Online working.What do you think my fellow freelancers?

20. Sylvance

Sylvance New Member

I come across several scam sites everyday. This has always been a challenge to me. Most of these sites have appealing domain names and themes. Since they are out to fish free labour, they offer deals that seem too good to be true. It is a relief that sites that help in unmasking scammers have emerged.