IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Computers Better Than Laptop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ryugun46, May 6, 2018.

1. ryugun46

ryugun46 New Member

I would always say, yes , computers are better than laptops. I know laptops are small and portable and also easy to handle but laptops have a lot of cons. The first con of a laptop is one of the most irrating one. You can't work on it for a long time because gradually it will gain heat and will slow down and also effect the battery.

While computers aren't portable but they are easy to use and you can use it for as long as you want without any tension of it getting heated. Also computers are more powerful than the laptops. So I would always suggest people to buy a computer if they don't need it outside of your home much.

Let me know your thoughts about this.

2. NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja New Member

No, it depends on your needs. If you need mobility, then a laptop is a very good choice, as it will let you do your work from anywhere. Although high-performance laptops are more expensive compared to a desktop of its equivalent.

RAM and hard drive are the only components that can be upgraded in a laptop. The remaining components are either built-in and cannot be removed or the laptop is not designed to work with an upgraded version of a component. Laptops sometimes have a few issues like heating and battery drain which you would not probably experience in a desktop.

But I will still go for a laptop since it more convenient to use and I can work anywhere I want to.

3. Rommel

Rommel New Member

Actually a laptop is a computer. But if we compare Desktop and Laptop yes Desktop should be better in many ways. First the speed because its also customizable and you can always add new hardware to make it faster. Next is Desktops are Easier to Fix and Maintain so this will cost you lesser. You can always find simple tutorial in youtube to find solution on fixing errors. Lastly in desktop you can put tons of hardware peripherals. You can ad SD card reader you can ad audio card, cd room and many more on pci-e slots. And interms of mobility Laptop is obviously a winner. Desktop has no battery and its big. So If you travel much laptop is better for you. but for me its Desktop because im not travelling. (^_^)

4. billwaf

billwaf New Member

I really don't understand what you guys mean because I tend to think that Laptops are computers. The difference comes in when you state whether its a desktop or Laptop. All in all I prefer a laptop because of its portability. Desktops need a fixed place of operation.

5. Malomo okiki

Malomo okiki New Member

Laptops are very portable due to their compact size. They were designed to be taken from place to place, carried in a backpack or laptop carrying case. They are great for on-the-g0 use. Meanwhile desktops are large in size and have a separate monitor. While it's possible to take a desktop from place to place, it's cumbersome and not the choice for portability. They are designed to be used in a single location and not moved around much, if at all.

6. Trish23

Trish23 New Member

Both have their disadvantages. Laptops easily get heated up when used for a very long time. Desktops are big and bulky and cannotbe carried anywhere. But the likes of it totally depends on the users work. Like me. I dont work at one place only. So its more convenient for me to use laptops. But for some who works at one office, they would prefer the desktop. Considering the fact that it can be opened overnight.

7. superman2727

superman2727 New Member

If you would ask me if Desktop Computers are more better than Laptops? I would definitely say yes, the speed and performance of the Desktop is much better compared to Laptops. The capacity of doing hard and bigger tasks are expanded when using Desktop Computers. You will feel more comfortable also when you are using Desktops, why? It's simply because you can sit comfortably in front of it and adjust anytime you want. Desktop Computers are not just for doing tasks and works, it is also designed to play high graphic games from consoles; it is also a benefit for gamers out there. Laptops are just good when portability comes in, or to move from one place to another place. It's just that handy but when it comes to speed, performance; Desktops are the best choice for me. Thanks!

8. Anyona Nicholas

Anyona Nicholas New Member

Don't limit to low-end laptops. There are high-end laptops that never reduce perfomance when heating up. The high price Mac books are examples. You can use them for hefty tasks but the processing speed remains constant. Laptops are also highly portable as you affirmed. Whatever a desktop computer can do a laptop computer can do better. This is more because laptops always come with great graphics with really good user interface. If you have to buy, a laptop is better than a destop; unless if you go with a fixed amount of money, because laptops are more expensive.

9. Im_Gervin

Im_Gervin New Member

Laptops are computers too. There are two types of computer, desktop and laptops. There are several reasons why desktops are better than laptops. The only advantage of laptop is portability but they are actually lack in power. There are so many things that only desktop can do. For example running a software that requires great amount of RAM. Most of the laptop have fixed RAM and cannot be upgraded. Second, the battery. Laptops consumes battery fast, what if there is no electric socket around? then you can't use your laptop. While the desktop has no battery, you can use it till you drop. Desktops are for home and offices and laptops are for travelling. They both have pros and cons, but they should be treated equally as computers.

I play games so I'm a fan of desktop, desktop parts are usually cheap. That's a plus points for me because I do upgrade my desktop. Those are the thing I hate about laptop, you can't upgrade parts but of course I use laptop too especially on travelling.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  10. Anyona Nicholas

Anyona Nicholas New Member

It depends with your laptop. I upgraded mine(HP ultrabook) to 8GB RAM 1TB from 4GB 500GB very easily. The cost is the malice!

But all in all, Laptops still rock it all.

11. tonnie

tonnie New Member

There is no wrong or right answer here. As far as I am concerned the suitability of on one against the other depends on the user for whatever purpose one requires the machine for. For instance, a student will most likely use a laptop compared to a desktop. This is because he/she will be mobile and still the laptop will have its power in form of a battery as the student hops from one class to the other including the libraries and hooking up up to the commonly free WIFI. On the other hand, a company will most likely be suited to own majorly desktops since employees are not expected to be mobile within the workstation and also there is risk of information(data) loss if it was left to be mobile.

So, as far as I am concerned, it depends.

12. Bebak12

Bebak12 New Member

A laptop is portable and handy everywhere you go. In my preference, PC is more reliable than the laptop. The laptop can use for every use but laptop can't effectively as much well as the computer. And working people, the computer is best to choose due to customizable and security. We can also compare laptop PC is cheaper as well as upgrade and downgrade as we like. And nowadays, many computer software required costly hardware. And if we compare the cost price of the laptop we can buy great performance PC at the same price.

13. dlong93

dlong93 New Member

Interestingly enough, I believe when you say "Computers" you are indeed meaning "Desktop computers" as Desktop and Laptops are both very much computers. As to which is better highly depends on your use case for the machine. If you need something that is portable, you don't care if you can upgrade and won't be gaming on....then sure go for a laptop...however, if you are looking for something more robust, I would go with a desktop computer every time.