IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Critical Analysis, and Logic Should be Mandatory Curriculum

Discussion in 'Education' started by jprtist, Feb 23, 2019.

1. jprtist

jprtist New Member

Just as Reading, Writing, Math, and, History are mandatory curriculum in all public schools. Critical Analysis, and Logic courses should also be mandatory starting in Grammar School. I'll leave it up to the pro's to decide at what grade in grammar school.

Logical Analysis is necessary because to many everyday people seem to be unable to take apart a claim by unscrupulous leaders in our society today.

How are ordinary people expected to make informed decisions when they vote, if they haven't been equipped with the tools to see through bullshit?

What do you think? Logical Analysis.jpeg

2. Fredwriter

Fredwriter New Member

I completely agree, but I think the broader problem is that people don’t take anything seriously unless they can see a direct connection to how it’s going to help them in their career. Some elements of argumentation and rhetoric are taught in English classes, but unless you go to a really demanding school, it’s easy enough to just turn something in and get a good great without much effort.

Offering a separate course in formal logic that also delves into how to construct an argument would be a step in the right direction, I think. It could be a kind of bridge between math and English (or whatever the native language in your country is). After all, math uses a sort of “language” and is basically just the application of logic to symbols. Although the situation has improved over the years somewhat, and there is a little more emphasis on teaching kids the “how” rather than just telling them to replicate what you've just done, we still have a long way to go.