IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Death penalty: just or unjust?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by lxst, Jul 27, 2017.

?

Is death penalty a just punishment?

1. Just

2. Unjust

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lxst

lxst New Member

Capital punishment is mainly issued against those responsible of genocide, murder, and drug trafficking. Lesser crimes that are also punishable by death is some countries include terrorism, espionage, rape, and adultery, blasphemy, apostasy in some secular states.

What do you think? Should those crimes be punishable by death? Does the judicial system, government, or any other institution consisting of people have the right to determine the death of a person?

A total of 1,023 criminals were executed in 2016. Criminals perhaps with family and friends, who even now, still dearly miss them.

Or perhaps are glad to see them dead. Those executed for drug trafficking have indirectly ruined countless other people's lives. Rape victims and families of murder victims would be relieved to know that justice has been served.

But what is done is done. Dying doesn't absolve anyone of anything.

Well, what do you think?

2. Shana Peckover

Shana Peckover New Member

This is a question of moral behavior. Some believe that only God should make the decision as to whether one should live or die. Personally, I feel that the death penalty is just in the case of genocide, murder, and pedophilia...in most cases. However, it really all boils down to the moral nature of the crime. For example: Jeffrey Dahmer (who intentionally murdered for pleasure) deserved the death penalty. A woman who had been beaten and raped who kills the perpetrator would not deserve it.
    This is only a matter of opinion. There is so much grey area on this subject....no middle-ground.
    I don't believe that the death penalty should be issued to those charged with terrorism or drug trafficking though. These people should simply be locked away and used to obtain any information that may be used to capture others involved.
    Dying may not absolve anyone of anything, but it may bring peace of mind to the victims and their families.

3. jakub

jakub New Member

You made a lot of great points in regards to when should the death penalty be applied on the convict, crimes such murder, torture and rape should not be tolerated as they have such a huge impact on the community and the country as a whole. To be honest i feel that the punishment should fit the crime, and even though it might seem rather unjust or cruel to end someone's life it can bring peace to as you stated for the families and people involved as well as make an example of anyone willing to commit such hideous crimes.

4. oswellua

oswellua New Member

The idea behind executing criminals, is based on the judgment that such individuals are not fit to live alongside other human and should not be permitted to do so. Death penalty is to ensure that a human judged as such will never have the chance to go back to human society.

Jailbreak happens, and when it does human lives are endangered. Such could have been prevented by executing those vile criminals. Why a serial killer that has killed dozens of people is locked up instead of executed right away is something I can't fathom.

Ravenclaw07 likes this.
  5. nosleep3134

nosleep3134 Member

Well If i may "this makes me chuckle about what im finna say" If you had a raperist, ceareaal rapist that rapped ahudred women If he went to court you do not expect him to do well with the judge, so hey he can sit in jail. who cares right he's But you find out hey he's a homosexual who just rapped women for who knows y, the homosexual jury pled he be put to rest, cus he just got out of jail for murder. the r est of the casy anthony jury says give him the eye for an eyethough extreme strictly hypothetical we sentence was eye'eye well captain do yo want men or women
    what do you think the homosexual ceareal rapist said and how long was the line to see the show.

6. Belinda M. Teodosio

Belinda M. Teodosio New Member

This is a very sensitive topic though, but I will not hesitate to give my opinion. Well, I am in favor of death penalty as punishment to people who go against the law but this should be applicable only for serious or heinous crime like multiple murder and drug dealer especially to the drug dealer. In my own opinion those who are guilty of drug dealer must be punished through death penalty. Because of this dealers, many people has been slave of drugs and I see how illegal drugs destroyed them. They become monster out of it, they rape and kill people. This is happening because of these drug dealers and in order to stop this, death penalty must be implemented like in China. If the country is a drug free country, I am pretty sure we can achieved low crime rate.

7. LightMan123

LightMan123 New Member

I believe that certain crimes warrant death penalty. Crimes like rape, pedophilia, murder etc. should sometimes result in death penalty, in my view.

I think "eye for an eye" approach is the right way to deal with criminals. If someone murders someone, killer should be killed. That's how I feel.

8. Erica

Erica New Member

There are so many people on death row, and so many people who have gotten the death penalty whom didn't deserve it. It makes me sick. The justice system has failed so many people already why keep it going? I don't believe killing someone under any circumstances is moral. I believe there is a light, a goodness, inside of everyone. This includes rapist, pedo's, and serial killers. Who are we to say if those people can not turn their life around for the better? Everyone deserves to find peace.

9. Ariana Maissi

Ariana Maissi New Member

I don't understand the point of the death penalty, to be honest. Is the purpose to make other criminals feel scared about dying? People think too highly about themselves. A real terrible criminal, one "worthy" of the death penalty (not a minor minion) will believe that they will be able to escape the law and that the same rules won't apply to them.

The law itself is very flawed, morally speaking. If we stop doing things only because we will be punished, no critical thinking was exercised. We need to form our own principles. We need to feel the need to do good. If we are only forced to act a certain way, people will find ways to escape this reality for their own gain.

10. napash

napash New Member

I think the moral dilemma here is on what has more weight, a person's life or the society as a whole. Let me explain, forcefully ending a life on the context of lawful execution due to heinious crimes is a way to protect the greater society. Now, are we entitled to take away the membership of a criminal on our society? I think we are. Laws are created to maintain a safe and harmonious society. Criminals are exterminated because society feels endanger and they no longer benefit the greater good.

I still have reservations on the death penalty but my heart is againts it. While the society has all the right to defend itself from harmful elements, a criminal's life is still a person's life. I'll take the long and painful option, reformation. It is costly but its a less monstrous path.

11. Abdul Siddiqui

Abdul Siddiqui New Member

The death penalty in the current American judicial system is without a doubt unjust. This is because the American judicial system is broken and filled with holes and shortcomings. Many people are wrongfully convicted every year, and some of those cases are never looked into again. Thus, we cannot allow the death penalty to be the default punishment for any crime, because in our current system we cannot guarantee the guilt of people in some cases. However, if the criminal is without a doubt guilty, I believe that for some crimes, the death penalty is the right punishment.

12. Amos14

Amos14 New Member

Death penalty is justified if the person punished had committed murder. Tit for that is a fair game. Why should one kill someone and go free. You cannot take away someone's life and remain with yours.

13. Ravenclaw07

Ravenclaw07 New Member

I disagree. I don’t think rapists or murderers “deserve” anything. And as far as the justice system issue goes, I think we should be worrying about fixing the efficiency of our justice system to prevent innocent people from being convicted rather than do away with capital punishment.

14. aly.cam

aly.cam New Member

It seems logical that those who have harmed a society should have to pay the price. But how far is too far? Many who have murdered people or done other despicable crimes are seen as not deserving the right to life. This may be true, but is it an individual's place to decide. From a religious standpoint, there is a higher being that should have control over who lives and dies. By killing a fellow human being we are lowering ourselves to their level. Economically it also seems unjustified. The justice system has to file this claim, go to court, hire lawyers, pay for equipment and many other factors. Finally, it is hard to see where to draw a line. What one person may see as punishable by death another may find acceptable.

15. lenmanalang

lenmanalang New Member

If I were to be asked, I would say NO to death penalty because nobody deserves death as punishment even though he is the worst person you would ever know. Everybody deserves a second chance to change and correct their mistakes. There is goodness in every person, you just need to discover them. Yes, they need to pay for what they have done not by taking their lives but for letting them suffer in jail. And not all the time they get the real suspect so if death will be the punishment, they would kill an innocent person and free the real suspect from his mistake.