IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Did you take a language class in school? If so, which one(s)?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Daniel Watkins, Mar 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Watkins

Daniel Watkins New Member

Currently, I am fascinated with languages and the cultures attached to them. I know that many schools around the world teach foreign languages, and would love to know if anyone shares the same sentiments as I do.

2. Superglace

Superglace New Member

I took Spanish class while I was a freshman and sophomore in high school. I was going to take Spanish class in my junior year as well, but I decided to drop the class and took computer science. It's not that I don't like learning languages, just that Spanish isn't the language that I wanted to learn and I only took it because the credits required it. I wanted to learn Japanese so I could read novels and mangas in Japanese so I don't have to wait for translators to translate novels and mangas that are written in Japanese, but my school didn't offer the language to take as a class.

3. Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee New Member

I did take languages in school. In high school, I took four years of French. Then when I went to college, I decided to learn Spanish because I felt like it would be more useful in life, because where I live a lot of Spanish-speaking people were moving into the area. I quickly learned that the two languages are not all that different. As a matter of fact, the very first Spanish test I took, I answered half of it in French and the other half in Spanish. It wasn't something I did on purpose, I had kind of a brain fart that day and it just happened. As if that wasn't funny enough, the professor actually gave me full credit because I still answered everything correctly. Unfortunately, I don't really use either one in my daily life, but I have been able to help my children learn bits and pieces of both.

4. ja4lite

ja4lite New Member

I took to learning Spanish in high school and I ended up in the honors course during my second year, so I did ok ... but I did not really start speaking Spanish until I went into Panama and Colombia. Incidentally, using Google Translator really got me good fast. I should be practicing, but now I am concentrating on African tongues. It is ashame that they do not teach African languages in schools, at least not to my knowledge. Then again, let me stay with Google Translator.