IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do Guns Make Society Safer or More Violent?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Ibrahim neko, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Ibrahim neko

Ibrahim neko New Member

To advocates of strict gun control, many people believe that restricting access to guns would make society safer. The opposing argument is that gun control only takes guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens and does nothing to prevent criminals from obtaining them illegally.

The two sides manage to find all kinds of studies and statistics to support their respective arguments, but still the debate rages on. Violent incidents today are often used as excuses for people to add fuel to the flames of this ongoing debate. What is your opinion?

Bobo likes this.
  2. lolu0259

lolu0259 New Member

Guns have there role to play in maintaining public peace, eapecially when wielded by the body that maintains peace. However, when the public are getting access to guns, it can cause a civil chaos. Gun rules and control ahould be enforced. I actually feel technology has done more harm than good.

3. SeaGato

SeaGato New Member

To take guns away from the every day, law abiding citizen is complete nonsense. That would be taking away the right to protect yourself. It makes no sense to allow criminals, which are not too keen on following the law and respecting the stricter gun control laws, to be able to get away with even more acts of crime because nobody is armed. Statistics show that less than 0.01% of deaths are a result of guns. More people die from cars than that! To take away guns would be as illogical to taking away forks. Not many people die from them, but it is possible if it gets in the right hands, so we should just remove them all together. That makes no sense. Guns are not harming people. The people behind the guns are the ones harming people, and it is both unfair and illogical for that to take away the right to protect one's self and those around them because of people who are not going to follow the law anyways.

Aman Khare and Bobo like this.
  4. Bobo

Bobo New Member

Do cars make our world better or wors? Or are cars dead machines? Its allways the human who have the control about the gun. When an animal want to eat the human than is a weapon very useful, but when a man is angry and doesn,t have the control of himself than it could be very dangerous. I would suggest that everybody who wants a gun should do a psychological test for proofing that he is normal and not a psychopath. Look the difference from America to Canada. Both countrys have the same amount of weapons at home and look what happen in USA and how the people of Canada are handling their weapons. I don,t hear some news about weapon accidents in Canada, but in USA its nearly everyday something wrong with weapons.

5. Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue New Member

I asked someone who lives in England, who was planning a trip to the United States, if they owned a gun. They said they don't because they don't need to. But they also said that when they come here they will want one because they feel they will have to protect themselves.

Sometimes to answer a question like this, it helps to get the perspective of others who do not live here. And the perspective of foreigners says that America is a violent country. The statistics, when put aside other countries, prove that perspective to be true and that truth comes from guns.

Therefore, to say that a country with zero guns is just as prone to be just as violent than a country with guns is delusional at best.

6. Energysage97

Energysage97 New Member

Plainly and simply, take the guns and there's no need for guns. The world would be a much safer place without guns. Mankind didn't always have guns to utilize and look how far we've come without them.

7. JerrodS

JerrodS New Member

The main issue I see with this approach is that criminals, those who are willing to obtain the said guns by any means, will always find a way to arm themselves no matter how strict the regulations. It's true that relying on armed peacekeeping from police, military, and perhaps private agencies does work; however, there'll always be situations in which any kind of professional, state approved peacekeeping won't be around -- and the people will be left to defend themselves in any way they can.

Do you see my point?

8. 2Robert

2Robert New Member

Mоrе sесurе.

Guns аrе аn еquilizеr. With а gun, аn untrаinеd, physiсаlly wеаkеr individuаl саn dеfеnd thеmsеlvеs frоm а strоngеr, trаinеd individuаl trying tо dо thеm hаrm. Gо bасk tо thе wаr, whеn mоst сitizеns wеrе unаrmеd, аnd yоu find pасks оf аrmеd 'sоldiеrs' rаping, killing, аnd lооting. Tоdаy, а fаrmеr with а dееr riflе, оr bеttеr yеt аn аssаult riflе, is а vеry sеriоus thrеаt tо аn оutlаw. It is nоt а guаrаntее thаt thе fаrmеr will win - but hе оr shе hаs а сhаnсе.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  9. trea

trea New Member

With the current world situation, I think guns do make societies more violent and I do believe that the world will transform and become safer if we ban them because people have this desire to have power and having a gun clearly makes a person feel more powerful, arrogant, and disrespectful of other people's lives.

In my country, there is a disturbing increase in road rage incident that resulted in deaths. Even if you say that the drivers have problematic behaviors or personality, I'm sure the deaths would have been prevented if no one had been carrying a gun.

On the other hand, in Japan, a gun ban and having disciplined and respectful people resulted in a safe country where you can actually walk at night without any worries or even get drunk and pass out on the roadside or a bench. I even heard that some people don't lock their doors at home.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. bossthecall

bossthecall New Member

Guns actually make society safer.

With guns weaker can protect themselves. And even if we take away guns, the criminals would still find a way to get guns illegally and then the problem will become more severe because the defender will be weaponless and the attacker could do any harm to them or their property. 2Robert gave the best example, War. When there was war, the enemy soldiers would harm or even rape the unarmed poor civilians.

that's why i think guns are actually more good for society than bad.

11. RenoGerman

RenoGerman New Member

I agree with Robert. Guns are an equalizer. Even if you completely ban civilians from owning a gun, people with bad intentions will find a way to acquire them illegally. What will happen to the an innocent person when confronted by a gun-wielding criminal? That person will be totally helpless unless he somehow knows Kung-Fu and has moves that Bruce Lee would envy. Having a gun is the simplest form of self-defense an average citizen can have.

12. TheArticulate

TheArticulate New Member

Take a look Australia. In the 90's they enacted sweeping gun control laws in response to a mass shooting that occurred, and since then, they've had 0 mass shooting, firearm crime is down and so are suicide rates.

Everyone seems to think that taking away guns will only leave criminals with guns, but I feel like that's not the case at all. If you take away all the guns, the only place people will be able to get them is maybe on the black market. If it came to that, demand for firearms would be incredible high, which would in turn drive the price of said firearms straight upwards. And if you have enough money to acquire a gun in those circumstances, you are probably someone who doesn't have to be a criminal...

KenBrace likes this.
  13. Shana-Kay Barrett-Smith

Shana-Kay Barrett-Smith New Member

I think that guns can make society safer and more violent. It depends who is in possession of the gun, the gun-holder's mentality, the setting and poverty- level. All these are factors contributing to the outcome of what the gun- owner does.

Some people rely on guns to protect themselves and their families, especially if their lives are endangered. Police and Soldiers need guns to protect the citizens and rid the country of criminals. Some people who are poor often get guns and kill then steal from their victims in order to survive or quench hunger. Some people are mentally ill and if troubled, will easily get violent and kill.

14. Mortemonee

Mortemonee Member

Guns give courage to the weak, imagine your self with a gun and you are walking late at night, I doubt if you will have any fear in you because you feel already protected but if you are walking all alone at night and you don't have any weapon on you, then you will wish you had spent the night at a friends place or the office. With guns the world will be filled with pain because if you are upset, and you have a gun. No one is save

15. Antonio Savannah

Antonio Savannah New Member

Guns make society safer if they are used safely. They are used to deter crime from the wrongdoer who uses their gun for the wrong reason(s). On the other hand, guns make society more violent. For instance, the criminal could turn the gun on other people killing them and their self.

16. Suraj Priyank

Suraj Priyank New Member

I have a solution to this seemingly endless squabble.

Let's give everyone guns, provided they train for a year and get licensed first. That way we are actually doing the society a favour. That would also deter the retards who need those guns for more...immediate purposes

17. DaranteLaMar

DaranteLaMar New Member

Gun control is a highly debated subject that falls into the same dangers as the death penalty. The question does not remain on the quality of the gun or the electric chair itself, but rather the judgement of the individual. Our concern is not really whether or not guns make us safe or not. The more insidious concern is the reality that people are not always trustworthy. Our fear is that even if we restrict guns in our communities, that the governments we trust or even a misguided neighbor may inevitably use our lack of defense against us. Our answers to these questions must be more chess-like, than checkers.

18. Makhisa

Makhisa New Member

Depending on who owns it. To some people it will be used as a weapon for revange against their enemies. To others it will be used to maintain peace .It really depends on who owns it.

19. Aman Khare

Aman Khare New Member

While I do agree to your points, the last however, might also be a case of selective information flow. Also, numbers are a just a part of it, it is the proportions that should be looked into (pointing towards population and societal parities). There are many factors to consider, but again the numbers are a sad truth.
    And from what I read, you are a supporting gun control, with rational filtering, am I right?

20. Aman Khare

Aman Khare New Member

Lack of education in general, is the reason behind our societies being "self-harming". And if you look at the natural state of the world, violence is inevitable, so existence of a weapon should be for survival. Controlling the weapon's reach to common folks will only tip the scales in favor of power holders, and suppressors and exploiters, and everyone with a disregard for the laws.

Best option, it seems, is to eradicate the power of weapons itself. But that being not possible for now, control will only make society a lot less safer. No control over it would at least give everyone a fair chance at survival and protection, which by nature's laws is the rule.