IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you always go for the lyrics when you listen to music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by theresajane, Jan 3, 2019.

1. theresajane

theresajane New Member

Music is universal, though music could be relayed through different languages, our ears and hearts still connect to the emotions that the melody and the feelings of the writers/singers convey.

Personally, lyrics are important to me, but, in appreciating good music, I always go for the melody, because I believe that even if you don't know the lyrics, if the song is sincere and heartfelt, listening to the voice of the singer and the dynamics of the songs are enough. Let's take a worldwide phenomenon for example, many people listen to K-pop, most of the listeners are international fans and fans who couldn't even understand Korean. However, they still prefer listening to it, without fully knowing what the lyrics mean. It is because, if the music itself is good and pleasant to the ears, the lyrics will also be felt through the melody. So, if I could choose between knowing the lyrics and listening to the song without the lyrics in mind, I would prefer the latter one.

Going for the lyrics doesn't always go primarily. You can search for the true meaning of the song after heaaring a good music. Music is felt through our hearts, so, if the song is good, then our hearts can approve of it, even without looking at the totality of the lyrics.

honeylina likes this.
  2. Babysudzz

Babysudzz New Member

No, I do not always go for lyrics when listening to music. Genres like jazz and trap, at least for me is either relaxing or alleviating. I enjoy listening to the striking cadence of a song. For example, a song like Panda by Desiigner, I do not understand what he is saying at all. However, I appreciate the beat much more than the lyrics.

honeylina likes this.
  3. burgosmichael2407

burgosmichael2407 New Member

There is a saying that says, "when you are happy, you enjoy the music. But, when you are sad, you understand the lyrics." Most people nowadays using that trend when listening to music. They enjoy the melody and the beat of the music and they don't care about the meaning and the message of the lyrics. However, when they are sad, they love to listen to those sad love songs that makes them more sentimental. As for me, I always chose the songs with good and positive lyrics. Just like what Aristotle says, "If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person."

Chineric and honeylina like this.
  4. honeylina

honeylina New Member

Some time ago all I cared about was the lyrics of songs. I refused to listen to anything that didn't have meaningful lyrics. That made me miss out on so many great songs that now I love dearly. Although the words and the message a song has is an important thing, it isn't everything. Now I usually listen to songs that have a nice sound to them - sometimes I don't even know what they're saying, but I don't think it's important. I just enjoy it.

5. chi92

chi92 New Member

I don't go for the lyrics. I actually try to avoid them as much as possible, since lyrics nowadays are all about the money, fame, sex, and drugs. I tend to listen to more instrumental songs and tracks. When there are lyrics I see them more as a part of the melody, catchy, and, if I'm lucky, they carry one simple, but strong message.

Art is lost since everything is fabricated, and most of the popular lyrics are written by two to three witters, like the music itself, also composed by the same people over and over again, only performed by different performers (I won't call them artists).

I appreciate good lyrics when I hear them, but that almost never happens, lately.

6. Chineric

Chineric New Member

Lyrics are important to me, I appreciate songs with great melody and instrumentation but I never overlook the lyrics. The songs I consider my favorites in my playlist are the ones with the most meaningful lyrics. I do listen to some songs which lyrics are not all that deep in meaning but they have to offer much more in melody instrumentation to make it onto my playlist and I still don't appreciate them as much as I appreciate those songs with the deep lyrics.

7. JM5FW

JM5FW New Member

As we all reckon, there are different types of genres in music. For this reason, the style, rhythm, beat vocals and all the other ‘recipies’ that make music enjoyable have to be balanced to the listener. Sometimes I may listen to some lovely music and although I like the lyrics, I miss some of the wordings either because they are sang too fast or obscured by part/s of the other ‘ingridients’ in the music. I may also want to learn the song because of its content as it may keep ringing over and over in my mind.

8. Christie Fleck

Christie Fleck New Member

Not always. However, there are two reasons that make me look for the lyrics of a song:
    1º: When I wanna learn to play the song, I usually search for the lyrics so I can follow the melody by singing.
    2º: When the music is so deep that it makes me feel something (be sadness, happiness, ecstasy). When a song makes me want to cry, by happiness or sadness, it is usually what most makes me search for the lyrics of a song.

9. Jaye Candice Ramintas

Jaye Candice Ramintas New Member

My answer is “NO”. I love music so much that i cant last an hour not listening to one. But when i wanted to dance or just enjoy the beat while doing my errands I always go for music that would make me lose myself, i don’t even care what the lyrics is. This days I even listen to Kpop music ( Korean pop music) and I don’t even understand it. I just let myself enjoy and have fun.

10. tinymoronie

tinymoronie New Member

Music isn't just about the lyrics. It's the combination of the melody, beat, measurement, vocals, instruments used, the lyrics, and other more.
    I don't always go for the lyrics when choosing a song to listen to but I appreciate more those songs that have beautiful and/or meaningful lyrics. The primary reason is that I can't really get the lyrics the first time hearing the song and can't identify right away it's message. What first catches my attention when listening to a music is the melody. If it matches my tastes, then that's the time I am trying to look for it's lyrics. But that doesn't mean that I prefer those songs with beautiful melody than with beautiful lyrics. What I am trying to say is that I am not into songs that just only have beautiful lyrics nor songs with only beautiful melody. Because for me, good melody without meaningful lyrics is somewhat hollow and meaningful lyrics without good melody is quite boring. Not to be greedy but what I want is both of it together in a song. Those type of songs are heavenly best that have special place in my heart. ;)

11. Reynee

Reynee New Member

Lyrics play a large role in what makes a song good. I often go to lyrics when I'm looking for a song that describes my emotions, feelings, or experiences. It's not just the lyrics though. Emotion, feeling, and experience can be portrayed through instruments and jus overall tone of the music.

12. coolben20

coolben20 New Member

I find that knowing the lyrics can add to the experience of feeling consciously immersed in the music, as you can fully appreciate what the artist means by it or by giving it your own interpretation. This can be extremely calming and meditative as you only focus on the music and nothing else.

However, listening to the melody can be immersing too, letting yourself drift off in thought while falling into the soft pillow that is the music surrounding you. It can also be meditative in the sense of allowing you time to just think, freely.

13. Rice0309

Rice0309 New Member

Lyrics is definitely an important part of a song and should never be overlooked. But, often when I am stressed or tired, I mostly focus on just the melody. Lyrics in my opinion is just another component that immersive you deep into the music. There are a few songs where the lyrics really matter. This is typically because the lyrics go into something deep in the culture that the song was based on.

Now, I am not saying that music without lyrics is not immersive. Songs like lo-fi hip hop are definitely immersive too. Songs like classical and jazz are such a success even without lyrics is because that they can immersive the listener in the moment.

14. bourehim

bourehim New Member

I could listen to a song for years without knowing what the singer is talking about, the music alone should move me right away, lift me up when I'm down or help me celebrate. There is however some exceptions, when the song is a story, like almost every country song, just listen to Dolly Parton's "Coat of many colors"brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to it.

15. Pirasanth

Pirasanth New Member

Particularly - I do not go into listening keenly the lyrics when I listen to any music. But I have a friend who is a Tamil hip-hop artist in Tamil Nadu, Chennai. He studied with me in high school. But I love to listen to his lyrics. His lyrics are mind-blowing. He is a patriot and attracts youngsters because of his love for the Tamil language. He has done many albums and I have listened to the lyrics. One such song is called 'clubbula-mubbula'. His vocals and music are not so attractive but his lyrics are good.

Only because I know him personally, I love to read the lyrics in most of the Tamil songs. I do not like to read or to understand English songs. I just listen to them.

16. akiyamaha

akiyamaha New Member

Not always. I believe music talks in a way that doesn't need lyrics to be understood. It's a language that can connect people from all parts of the globe after all. Emotion is a big part of music, and that emotion can be conveyed via rhythm, melody, etc. without primarily focusing on the lyrics of the song.