IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you believe television is bad for you?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Rochelle Kirkpatrick, Apr 15, 2015.

1. veronicabee

veronicabee New Member

I can agree that some shows should not be on tv and then it almost seems like anyone can get a tv show literally about anything. But on the other hand there are still tv shows and movies that are actually really good. So I answer like this no I do not think all tv is bad for you but yes I think it is bad for you if you watch a bunch of mess. A lot of people mimic what they see on tv. Sad but true.

paidtoclickfan likes this.
  2. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 New Member

From what I have seen on this thread, there is a balance between our consumption of "bad TV" and the availability of "bad TV". Advertisers, consciously or unconsciously (most would say consciously) prey on our openness to view violence and all of that. We always have the option to turn off the TV, but that doesn't mean the violence, etc. won't be there when we return.

As I said before, TV is something that is neutral. It's what we put on the airwaves or cable that makes the difference. It's what advertisers are willing to pay in order to finance the whole thing. It's what we, as consumers, are willing to accept as active and passive participants in the process.

3. IshieVonDyson

IshieVonDyson New Member

It does depend on the shows one chooses to watch. I’m a proponent of free speech, so I would never say there should be less smut, violence, etc. on television, or that certain shows shouldn’t be airing, even though I may not be a fan of such things myself. It’s all a matter of filtering out the chaff.

I also believe anything can be bad for someone in excess, even things usually thought of as healthy. So I see nothing wrong with television in moderation. You just have to monitor yourself and any children who may be watching.

4. jazzarcher

jazzarcher New Member

In a way yes it is bad for us, there is young children mimicking the actions of their favourite actors. This can be bad when the films are all about violence and sex. It almost gives them an unrealistic idea of the world and how it works. Excessive TV viewing shouldn't be allowed when your young.

5. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 New Member

I like that you brought up the issue of excess. Every tool or activity that we, as humans, use can become excess. Even if we were to have all-positive TV, that would still be an excess.

6. saintjohn47

saintjohn47 New Member

I do agree that watching television can have a bad effect and good effect for you. If you compare the cartoon movies in the 1990's and nowadays, so much have changed. Cartoons before in the 1990's is just pure comedy and entertainment, nowadays you can see a lot of violence and nudity in it. It is not appropriate anymore for children to watch. They cannot pick any moral story from it. Maybe there are some moral story, but not a lot and not really clear.
    If we are talking about the effects of watching television for your health then I would have to say that the number of hours of you in front of the television monitor can be a big factor. The radiation coming from your monitor will affect your sight and that will be a bad thing for you. That is why, it is recommended to have a screen on your monitors to reduce the radiation. I spend a lot of time in front of my computer so that is really bad for my eyes, I should manage how I spend my time in front of the monitor more.

7. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 New Member

I will agree that TV, especially if we take cartoons as an example, is different. More content is allowed on children's TV in the present that wouldn't have aired on adult TV in the 1950's. That being said, I don't blame this all on TV executives. The norms and values of society have changed. TV is a reflection and assertion of what our society wants to see of itself.

I like that you focus on the physical aspects of TV. No matter if we watch all positive or negative TV, we still have to sit down to watch. We also have to sit in front of a screen to watch it. Both of these characteristics of modern TV can negatively impact our health, if we engage in them too much.

If we spend all of our time watching screens, and not moving (as we were designed to do), something is out of balance.

paidtoclickfan and KenBrace like this.
  8. arthnel

arthnel New Member

I believe, to a great extent, that TV has become really bad, in terms of the influence through the programs. I remember when I was growing up and we only had local channels. Kids and adults were more reasonable and respectful. Having fun outdoors allowed for greater interaction with members of the community, so it was all more cohesive. We never had such low moral standards, liberal sex and use of expletives. When my neighborhood got access to cable and direct TV (and satellite) all that changed. There are great shows and a host of other programs, but the bad ones have really taken root and have cause a lot of harm to our society.

9. paidtoclickfan

paidtoclickfan New Member

I think there are a lot of good shows for young children to watch such as mickey mouse clubhouse which never shows sex or violence. I also think shows such as full house, growing pains, and saved by the bell are good shows for young children to watch. I just joined this forum to make some extra money online with forum posting but I also love hearing other peoples opinions on a variety of topics.

10. owen027

owen027 Member

For me televisions are not bad for us. Maybe It could be bad for some certain reasons. I believe it could be harmful for young children that are simply suggestible. But for all, Televisions are very efficient appliance which provides us more information and entertainment. Only we need is to know how to use it correctly. There are some evidence to suggest that watching moderate time amount of television helps people to relax. It also stimulates creativity. So, in healthy doses, television can actually have a positive impact to us. But when we spend too much time watching television and abuse it, that it becomes something that it turns into a bad habit.

11. Barbara Martins

Barbara Martins New Member

I would not say that television is bad for me because I like to watch TV Shows and some other kind of program. However, I think the TV programs has decreased in quality and variety. When you go to watch something, you will probably find programs about violence, sexy or a reality show. I prefer to watch comedies or movies, but they are not the major of the programs. Although, the TV has all those problems, I still spend a lot of time watching television. That happens because I do like soup operas.

12. LeaJude

LeaJude New Member

It's your choice whether you want to make it bad or not.n There's a huge variety of tv show, and it's your call weather to watch violence and grim or romance and comedy. I do believe that TV has a big influence in how we think and sometimes feel, but I can't imagine it affecting you so much if you watch it in moderation.

13. Leca

Leca New Member

No, I do not believe television is bad for you. The only time I would see it having a negative effect would be when one watches it all day all night for however long or when all one watches has no value or importance. For instance, I would watch tv on the weekends with my kids as one of my family activities. We would watch movies for kids and family. I would watch tv with my spouse and we would talk about that particular movie or laugh so much if it's a comedy. Also, watching world news and other informative is very good as well. But for someone else who would just sit and watch reality tv with with a lot of fighting and negativity day in, day out, I see that as unproductive. So on the whole, I do not think television is bad for you.

14. Sharing

Sharing New Member

Sometimes, I wonder what was life like before technology was so available. I am almost done taking a reading instruction class. The class discussed about a week ago barriers that cause students to have a hard time learning to read. Television and other distractions were high on the list. I don't think watching television is bad. I think it is what people chose to watch. There are a lot programs that are informative. The History Channel, the world news, and science programs actually provide everyone with useful information.

15. sebzswag

sebzswag New Member

Watching television can be bad for you because it means inactivity, and inactivity has been linked with obesity and heart disease. Nevertheless it can be very educative and useful in the case of watching the news.

16. JohnClicker

JohnClicker New Member

I concur with hatterasfish, it depends. But something that I witnessed, 20 years ago the tv programs where lamer, the arguments where more basic, nowadays people need more worked and clever arguments.

There are very good programs, but even the ones with sex are good ehehe. Sex and violence are in our history, it's normal that they sell, and if they sell the market will display.

17. CreoleQueen777

CreoleQueen777 New Member

I can completely understand where you're coming from with this TV influencing the youth now in day. I've always felt TV shows, Movies an Music play a big part in how people feel they're supposed to behave, and dress, Just like their favorite stars. For example I wanted golden blond hair like Beyonc'e so bad, that I begged my mother for a perm and blonde hair dye in hope of looking like Beyonc'e, Ciara, Christina Millian and Jlo because they all had that look that so many people went crazy over and I wished I had that kind of attention too, That was 2006. In 2015 I see the same behavior in the youth today. I believe there is only one way to combat this trend. It's up too the parent's to instill self love in your children right from the jumpstreet.

18. lena

lena New Member

I beg to disagree with this topic because personally television is not bad for me in any way . In fact it is the best according to me. If it were not for that television, I would not have known some job adverts, neither would I have known international news that are always aired in some channels. I love watching so much.

19. hipopotamo92

hipopotamo92 New Member

It depends on how many hours you spend watching television. I believe if you only watch television 2 or 3 hours it can be good, you have a nice and funny time and you get distracted and forget your troubles. However if you watch televsion for more than 5 hours a day I think you will have problems, it must not be good and you maybe have problems of obesity and other diseases.

20. theresajane

theresajane New Member

My main concern would be the kids. "Too much of something is bad." We always hear this whenever discussions of doing something excessively is at hand. Thus, people believe that of course, exposing your kids to television way too much will never be good. It doesn't only affect your child's vision but it also affects them in every way negatively.

Television, if directed to the right channel, can be a medium of useful information to us and to our children's minds. However, it could also be a medium of negative traits and negative thoughts. If children are left alone with the freedom of selecting channels, there is a big risk of exposing them to shows that affect their mind in a bad way. Media has always been influencing to us, how much more if our kids are left alone with it?

Watching television would be more meaningful if it's moderated and if it's with the proper guidance of parents and guardians. Of course, when watching television, We must put to mind that when kids are with us, we have to properly think if the show that we are watching would do goodto them. Letting them watch their favorite show is fine, but always remember, "too much of something is bad."