IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you believe that playing online games help combats depression?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Aimazing23, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Aimazing23

Aimazing23 New Member

I have heard from the news and read some online news pertaining depression. I also experienced being depressed and been a lot of stress but I overcame it and can proved to myself that playing online games helped me overcome those. I just want to know your opinions or base on your experiences if playing online games help reduce or combat your depression too.

2. Roselvn

Roselvn New Member

Playing online games takes people’s minds out of things, and in this case, depression. With having full concentration on the games, people will tend to forget the problems, or sadness, faced.

However, I knew someone who had depression, and stayed in his room all day playing his games. With the blinds closed and the doors locked, he hardly ever saw the sun; barely ate with his family. So, with the lack of control and proper care, one may worsen his situation. He may not only have his uncured depression, but also addiction, insomnia, etc.

With proper control, and the willingness to better yourselves, one may reduce his depression with the help of gaming.

sareal and Aimazing23 like this.
  3. sareal

sareal New Member

If its not handled properly, any coping method can become addictive. Especially one where you don’t necessarily have to have human contact. In my expirence, playing some games have helped boost my confidence but they also kept me shut off from the world and made me even more social awkward.

But, If it’s actually healthy, I think it could work.

4. mirin9

mirin9 New Member

As long as the player limits his/her playing to having fun, then yes, I believe playing video games can help combat depression. The ability to temporarily escape the concerns of real life can help some people cope with anxiety, depression, and other negative states of mind. Depression can sometimes be brought about by a sense of tediousness, helplessness, and a lack of control over one's life, and many video games can help ease these feelings by allowing them to imagine themselves as strong, powerful beings doing amazing things in amazing worlds.

However, video games can also end up feeling like a chore, especially if the player is chasing after a level or an achievement that requires plenty of work. Missions that are above the player's skill level can also exacerbate feelings of frustration and uselessness in a player that takes the game too seriously. This can be worse if the player already has those negative feelings; they may feel they are useless at home, useless at school or at work, and now they would feel even useless in the virtual world. So instead of helping, playing the game could worsen depression for those kinds of people.

Personally, when I start to feel that the game is no longer fun, and I start to enter the feeling of "I have to" (I have to do this, I have to make it to this level, I have to get this item, etc.), then I stop. I pledged to myself that I would only play video games for as long as they are fun, because I already have a lot on my plate at work.

5. honeylina

honeylina New Member

I am diagnosed with depression and honestly? Yes.

Although it doesn't just suddenly cure it, but it helps take your mind off of it and helps to feel better overall. I also find that it makes me look forward to something.

6. chi92

chi92 New Member

Depends on which game you are playing. I suppose there are games that are not very competitive where you can relax and enjoy playing with someone, but the truth is that many games are competitive, mostly played by kids, many of them angry and spoiled. Communities of those games are very toxic and I think can even make depression worse, because I've seen some of the cruelest things ever said by one human being to another while playing online games.

On the bright side, you can get very good at the game, so that can probably have a good boost to your ego, and help with the depression, if you keep winning :)

7. akiyamaha

akiyamaha New Member

Sure it can, especially those games with a large and interactive online community like MMOs. You get an opportunity to meet lots of people of different kinds. Sure there can be bad eggs sometimes, but those who are open to making friends and working together far outnumber those who don't. A tightly knit guild is no different from having friends 'in real life'. The only difference is that you use the game world as your medium to meet up. Sometimes friendships born from online games move over to real life, and I always see nice experiences of people who finally get to meet their online friends in person.

So yes, I believe online games can combat depression, but of course this depends on the games you play. A highly competitive game that isn't focused on teamwork may not be conducive to friendship for example, but something casual and easy to pick up usually attracts a friendlier crowd. At least in my experience, those are the people that you can rely on in time.