IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you believe that religion does more harm than good?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by helpinghand, Jul 27, 2015.

1. chingam116

chingam116 New Member

Most religions use guilt shame fear and hatred to teach good people to do immoral act. It’s immoral to sacrifice the needs of yourself and others in hopes of making things better for yourself in an afterlife which may not even exist anyway. Often this involves clever, ad hoc interpretations which wouldn’t be needed if people were willing to make and take responsibility for their own choices. Of course everyone prefers their own religious morality and the commands of their own god. This is where superstitious beliefs come in to command a person what is right or wrong. An elementary school child of today knows more of the natural world then the superstitious men who invented religion. I know of no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Reason will always have more positive insight then any religion. People can't even agree on one religion, but they all agree that the others are wrong. Some religious people are willing to kill or die to make the point that there religion is the right one. People can be good without religion, it does more harm then good.

Hitman Quote likes this.
  2. kokimboka

kokimboka New Member

Religion is good, it just depends on how it is used. Some religions are actually very harmful and instead of directing its members in the right direction,they mislead them into doing and believing unthinkable beliefs. I am a christian and was raised up in church my entire life. Though there are some traditions which we had to follow and I din't like them, Am still thankful for the religious upbringing, it has shaped me in a positive way.

Hitman Quote likes this.
  3. Katrinarose00

Katrinarose00 New Member

It depends on the person.

I know people who are religious and are good. I also know people who are atheists/agnostics and are good. I identify myself as an atheist and everyday, I do my best to be kind and do good.

I just do not like the thought of a reward in the afterlife for doing good. I believe that I do good because it is good.

I just really think it depends on the person. You can be a believer and do good or bad things. You can be atheist and do good or bad things

Hitman Quote likes this.
  4. Corena

Corena Member

I have read so many different views on this thread. All of them have avid points and are great views. I have read that religion does more harm then good. I have read that it doesn't cause harm at all. And I have read that it is people who use religion to cause harm to others. I find all of these views very fascinating and who can say who is right and wrong? Nobody, there's no proof to this question.

However, in my opinion, religion does do a lot of harm. People have been murder and persecuted since the beginning of Christianity. Millions of lives have been lost to people who claim and even think that they are serving their "God". Even tho, the religion may not tell them specifically to do these horrible things, they are done because of religion. Therefore, I feel that religion and people are to blame. Religion does cause harm.

With that being said, I also believe that religion does a lot of good as well. There is no end to the goodness that I have seen in the name of religion. Good people following their religion, doing wonderful and kind things for others.

5. engrlanre

engrlanre New Member

I disagree with the notion that say religion does more harm to the world, it should be the followers does more harm to the world. Just like a writer posted, every religion teaches kindness, love and peaceful coexistence but the followers failed to adopt theses teachings.