IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you enjoy Opera?

Discussion in 'Music' started by GearZ, Apr 13, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ New Member

Do you enjoy Opera music? If so, what type? Any particular performers you enjoy the most? Most importantly, why?

Thanks for sharing. :)

2. Brizeida

Brizeida New Member

I used get carried away (in a negative way) by the common misconception that opera is supposed to be "boring". This was only when I was under the age of 12, though. Afterwards, possibly inspired by my piano lessons, I started to appreciate opera a lot, and even deliberately listen to it whenever I could.
    I am mostly impressed by operas that have at least one contralto character, as I am a lower female singer myself, so I admire every less conventional vocal type, such as the contralto or the mixed voice types. Unfortunately, the lead opera roles are still given predominantly to mezzos or sopranos. I don't have anything against them; I just love the "witches, britches and bitches" types :)

3. Hiraeth

Hiraeth New Member

No I cant say I enjoy opera music much. If I'm asked to sit through one I'll probably try to get some joy out of it, I'll try my best to appreciate it. But the fact that most of the lyrics go high pitched and out of my hearing leaves me wondering as to what is happening. :/

There was one that I actually almost enjoyed, The Magic Flute by Mozart, but I wouldn't watch it again. However I can appreciate the tremendous effort and talent that is required to put together operas, having been a part of a college production once. The singers are phenomenal and even though I can't fully enjoy it, I have to say, operas are one of the most powerful forms of art that's there.

4. Braids

Braids New Member

Not really but i love Symphonic Metal that is kinda a mix between Opera/classical music and Heavy Metal.
    My fav singer is a Soprano, she was in a symphonic metal band but now sings solo, however with the same "style"

5. Emma White

Emma White New Member

I don't know if I enjoy Opera, but I definitely enjoy, "Habanera" from Carmen. I could listen to that song everyday and be content. I even learned how to play it on the piano. Although the lyrics are in French, the voice is incredible and moving in itself. I would like to see Carmen someday, just so I can hear "Habanera" live.