IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you ever get put off a band/musician by fan drama?

Discussion in 'Music' started by rollinder, Dec 12, 2018.

1. rollinder

rollinder New Member

I love The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd but it gets really annoying and boring when discussions about them get hijacked with the same old arguments about which member is better especially when people start insisting you can only like one side, and the (ex)member they don't is totally untalented and their favourite did everything, when that isn't true (think Brian Wilson worshippers versus Mike Love apologists or vice versa, or Syd Barrett fans who constantly attack Roger Waters).

The type of fans who act like their favourite musician can do no wrong, and anybody who says they don't like them must be trolling, are embarrassing.

I'm into/have been into several tragic/dead musicans inc. cult ones and something that puts me off fan groups especially on facebook is people who gush about them like they're teenyboppers with a crush (especially when they're mature adults) and constantly post about how hot/sexy they were, and how they're the most perfect, tragically dead, ultra talented musician ever, or make discussions all about them by claiming them & <insert dead musican here> are exactly the same and would be perfect for each other, how if they'd known them, they'd have saved them and their love would've magically solved all of that person's problems and/or post about them like they're fantasy best friends or fantasy lovers. :eek::rolleyes:

People hijacking discussions to moan about members on 'rival' forums about the same band are annoying too.:mad:

2. Chaztastic

Chaztastic New Member

I hate KPop. And that group BTS. Mainly because the American fans, girls mostly, are annoying. They can't understand the lyrics but they "loooooooove it" and love these guys that look more feminine than they do. It really gets my blood boiling.

3. Helen Yang

Helen Yang New Member

Intense fanbases can certainly be off-putting, but if you can either tough through the drama or simply stay out of it entirely, you can still enjoy the music. I, for example, listen to a variety of music, ranging from G-funk to K-pop. For K-pop especially, there are many immature fans who are often annoying and blind to anything the artist does. In these cases, you have a few options:
    1. Find yourself a place in the fan community without the toxic fans (believe it or not, even if the K-pop fandom, 99% of fans are perfectly normal, and it's just the 1% of annoying fans who are the loudest),
    2. Listen to the music casually, without entangling yourself in all that fan business (yes, you'll still see the occasional random online post or niche article, but it's not hard to just follow official accounts and listen to songs without becoming a fan-fan),
    3. Or of course, simply ditch the musician if you really think the drama isn't worth it.

4. Helen Yang

Helen Yang New Member

With all due respect, this reeks of ignorance. The "girls" portion is quite sexist, perpetuating the whole "rabid teen fangirl" stereotype. Believe it or not, polls show that BTS in particular consists of mainly fans in their 20-30s, and nearly 40% are male fans. As for language, thousands of online translations exist. And who says you need to understand lyrics to enjoy a song? Take instrumental music (no lyrics at all), Latin music (i.e. Despacito), many pop songs (lyrics are repetitive and meaningless), or mumble rap (mum...bl....ing...).

honeylina likes this.
  5. honeylina

honeylina New Member

Honestly I think the whole argument of "I don't like the artist because of their fanbase" is toxic. An artist is way more than just their fanbase! I am a fan of BTS, and I know that a portion of us fans are annoying and immature, however that shouldn't stop a person to check them out for their music. Okay, you can be annoyed by the fans, but saying that you dislike an artist because of that particular reason without even checking them out is just pathetic. I think you should always give the singer(s) a chance, and if you really like them, I recommend ignoring the fanbase if they're that annoying.