IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you play video games competitively or casually?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Harisali5, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

For me, it depends on the game. If the game is widely played competitively, then I will follow the trend and so so also for example, League of Legends. The bad thing about playing competitively is that you have less 'fun' in the game than you would naturally have. Every game I play, my intention is to win but some games, you really ignore the purpose and focus just on winning. Games like osu!, I play casually even though I would be quite a highly ranked player if I went competitive.

2. lucie harvey

lucie harvey New Member

For me it really depends on what game I'm playing, if I'm playing a game like sims I'll p,lay it casually for fun, but if I'm playing a game like COD I'm playing competitively to win.

3. Steph4real

Steph4real New Member

For the most part, I like to play them casually as a way to unwind and take my mind off things. My fiancé is serious about playing competitively so sometimes I help him to get trophies (for PlayStation). :D

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze New Member

I've been gaming pretty much non stop since I could first play video games back when I was a very young kid and this didn't cease in my later years as I replaced what would be TV/movie time with video games, basically from high school and onward my only concerns were 1) academics and 2) video games. I have gamed competitively for several genres of games, RTS, fighting games, both third and first person shooters, however this was mostly when I was in high school, more recently I've taken a more relaxed approach to gaming since I prefer to play video games to help relax myself whereas before it was more a medium to feel some sort of achievement in "doing well", but the need for this sense of achievement dissipated once I got to university where completing school work, dare I say, became satisfying in and of itself. I've put quite a bit of time into a couple multiplayer games recently and I'm often asked why I don't compete, or if I compete, the answer to all that is, I simply play by myself for the most part and play extremely casually and almost exclusively in pubs. Of course one could argue that within gaming alone, I'd be "better off" playing with a competitive mind set so I could perform as well as possible in every situation, however I've been down that road and I found it to often be stressful/frustrating rather than relaxing.

5. ditoekanugraha

ditoekanugraha New Member

I like both. yes,
    casually : I play almost 1 to 3 hour in a day
    competitive : I play almost 1 hour a day
    Looks like I spent my time mostly in casually games, but I like them all:D
    casually games that I play : Assassins Creed Series (All series except Unity,Unity Dead King and Sindycate), Grid, Dirt 3, Far Cry (1,2,3,3 BD), Rayman (origin and legend)
    competitive games that I play : Castle Clash, Minion Master (Steam), Dota 2 (Steam)

6. triforceguy1

triforceguy1 New Member

Personally, I prefer to play video games at a casual level, or at least most of the time I do. A lot of the time I can feel a bit too intimidated when playing online, I suppose a bit anxious, if you will. However, when Splatoon first came out, I did become a bit addicted to the online multiplayer, something a rarely do when playing against people I do not actually know. When I do play competitively in other games, I prefer to play against the data of another person, if that makes sense. So, for example, the ghost data of anther person in Mario Kart.

I'm going to be completely honest here, but I just don't see the appeal of eSports to much. Perhaps it's just me, but watching people play competitively (even with physical sports) is boring for me. It's a weird though, there have been times where I have spent hours watching gaming marathons!

When playing multiplayer, I just prefer playing for fun, which is much more fun when playing local play. There is nothing better than seeing your friends' reaction when they receive a blue spiny shell in Mario Kart 8!

Does anyone else here have any games that they like to play competitively, and other games they like to play multiplayer just for the fun of it?

7. jamesblogger

jamesblogger New Member

I used to be competitive in gaming especially online games. When I reach my 8 or 10th year of online gaming I just get tired of grinding too much just to kill 10 newbies in games. At the end of the day you will not be the strongest in the game. There will be a hundred stronger than you who can kill you every time you go head to head with them. Those players on the top lists I can say are those who bought items with their real money. That removes the fun in all online games that you spend 14 hours a day grinding and getting defeated by a player who plays 2 hours a day with complete maxed set which they just bought with their money.

8. Wyvh

Wyvh New Member

I would say both. I do appreciate watching e-Sports and everything related to it, and so watching this kind of content made me test out some competitive games such as League of Legends or more recently Rainbow Six Siege (which is competitive in an unofficial way).
    Otherwise, I prefer playing video games casually as winning or losing doesn't matter that much because having fun is way more important.

9. plenc

plenc Member

Competitive games should be designed for casual play and balanced for competitive play. Nearly every successful competitive game has far more casual players than it does competitive players. Players should want to play your game regardless of any fame or prize support they could gain from playing it competitively.Understanding who your players are and what they want, both in terms of game content and what they want to gain mentally or emotionally from playing the game, can greatly assist in the design of competitive games. When a player gets to use a strategy they enjoy at a high level of play, the game becomes far more enjoyable.A competitive game is defined by its community. When the community is open, accepting, friendly, and helpful, it reflects well on the game and leads to thriving casual and competitive communities. Communities are also vital to the evolution of their players’ skills. Without a supportive and helpful community, players in that community will have a much harder time being successful than if they were a member of a more supportive and caring community. So yes Competitive we play and i like it that way how will be the best by beating the other.

10. timileyin9112

timileyin9112 New Member

Both, it depends much on the type of game it is to me, for example, I play soccer games(F.I.F.A, P.E.S) competitively but adventure games i play casually.
    Adventure games are much more fun played casually that competitively, while soccer games are enjoyable when you're playing with other people casually.

11. Michael Soriano

Michael Soriano New Member

I would say that I'm a casual player as I have only played 3 games repeatedly and they are all offline games. I just seem to enjoy playing this kind games more than going online, I guess I was just never really that good at playing online games to begin with.

12. alexanderzx360

alexanderzx360 New Member

Two years ago I was a very hardcore player of Counter Strike: Global Offensive and considered taking it into a bit of a next level with a team of friends. We got destroyed during our first competitive round so almost all of us decided it just wasn't for us! We just played for fun and only a few hours a day, but these guys they dedicate their whole life at it.

Since then I've only played Counter Strike and other games casually, but I do enjoy forming some small competitions between friends on games like Age of Empires 2 and Overwatch

13. AlreadyReadIt

AlreadyReadIt New Member

Kind-of a mixture of both here. Casual game-play is amazing because during casual matches, there seem to be more spontaneous experiences. There's nothing quite like playing a first person shooter and then making friends with an enemy by waving at them or trotting around in a box. It enables some really weird and silly stuff to happen, which is great, if you're used to trying really hard to win and like seeing something new once in a while.

Competitively, although I love it and enjoy the challenge, people can sometimes be extremely toxic or uncooperative in video games. I'd like to be able to get involved with a friendly competitive team in the long term as I'm somewhat tired of queuing for competitive modes on my own, but there are plenty of days where I just feel burnt out and decide to do something silly or avoid playing instead.